It's my party and I'll invite who I want.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by scotthayes, Jul 11, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Oh no you won't

Even more amazing is, it didn't happen in the UK.

BBC News

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i find this sad. i only invite people i want to come to MY events i host lol

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Can all of this political correctness get anymore obscene....

How much time are they going to waste getting their 5 minutes of fame for being morons...

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I didn't think the home of Saab and Ace of Base could ever make such a poor decision. :(

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well in one way it is possible ot see it from the other veiw

Have you ever been on the side where everyone but you get an invite in a class. Let me tell you it sucks that everyone else in the class got invited BUT YOU.

So in that since it was rather mean. Mostly all the school can do is shut down the handing out of invitations saying it harassment of those kids.

Now it is another story if the person is only invited a small number of people compared to the rest of the class because then it not they are singling out 2 kids.

On the flip side why the hell would you want to go to a party you are not wanted at.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The world will implode with all this ridiculous PCness. My nephew just had a birthday party with all his classmates invited and most of their parents. 80 people at a kids party- frackin' ridiculous.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

And don't forget ABBA!

Frackin' expensive too, I'd imagine!

8. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

If the school has a blank ban on handing out invites so be it (still wrong if you ask me) but to complain to the Swedish Parliament saying the kids rights have been violated is beyond crazy. What about the right of the kid who was handing out the invites, surely he has the right to invite who he wants.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So imagine being in these two kids' shoes when they finally arrive at the party…

*crickets*

Can you imagine anything worse?
    I almost feel sorry for them.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I guess when you have one of the highest standards of living in the world, this is the sort of stupid **** your legal system has to find with which to occupy its time.

11. noaccess macrumors 6502

I'm on the kid's side.

I mean, he's 8 years old. At that age, you can't take a step back, do a reality check and consider the fact that other people might be wrong. He had a right to not invite several people. What happened was, people not only denied him that right, but, in essence, made him out to be a criminal worthy of getting the parliament involved. Must be very overwhelming.

I honestly hope his parents are reassuring him that he didn't do anything wrong, and are telling him people are idiots overreacting.

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

This reads that these people were invited because of political correctness. Did you mean that?

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

My 10th birthday party was boys-only. At the time it was the in vogue thing to do. I suppose I should have been sued for sex discrimination or something.

I'm curious as to what rights the school thinks were violated, unless Sweden grants the inalienable right to attend a birthday party of someone who doesn't like you.

14. zebraman macrumors member

Wow political corectness just got taken to another level of stupid...

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The boy's school complained that they violated the children's right? WTF?:confused::confused:

Heck, when I was a kid, the only rights I had was the right to remain silent.:( "Shaddap or it's five across the eyes.":D:D:p It sucks being the runt of the litter.:p

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

yet another example of crappy reporting (and of people not reading beyond the title)

the situation is exactly the same in the US.

not as in the sensationalist spin "you cannot decide who to invite"
    but as in the reality "if you hand out invitation during class, they must be inclusive"
    same goes for cupcakes or valentine cards: to everyone or to nobody.

the teacher simply sequestered all the invitations during class (following established school rules). the kid was free to hand them out to selected kids outside of school. i think it's the father who was way over the line here.

personally i find it a bit ridiculous, but nothing particularly outrageous. It's an easy rule to follow, it doesn't really limit anything and has some obvious upsides.

17. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

No, I read the full article and I still think the school's response lacks common sense. It is not really worth a legalistic analysis, but since you are quite serious, here is my take:

If the party host discriminate based on characteristics that kids cannot change such as gender, race etc, I get that the schools would stop such invitations to be handed out on their own premises. However, why should the party host's freedom of association be trampled on if he just does not get along with some of the kids?

What is next? Is the school going to force every invitee to attend the party? After all, which one is more traumatic: not getting an invitation or going through the trouble of organizing a party that turns out sparsely attended?

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

no freedom is tramped.
    he can invite whoever he wants; but invitations, cupcakes, valentine cards and such distributed at school must be inclusive or should be done outside of the class hours.

as i said, it's common practice, at least in the US. stuff like this should be handled by the parents with a 'whatever" and distribute the invitation after school, or mail them. there are far worse crap going on in our (US) schools that really deserve outrage (just one example: homework are not corrected or graded to 'not traumatize the children'. WTF?)

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Gee...what a jerk that kid is. A good round lashing he needs to learn a lesson, he does.

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

So exactly when are kids supposed to learn that not everyone likes them, and that they will suffer varying degrees of disappointment at points in their lives? Or has the sense of entitlement/feeling good about one's self/gold-star-for-all nonsense become so pervasive that we must automatically abandon any hope of having socially-capable, independent human beings and instead spend all of our time catering to anybody claiming their feelings were hurt, self-esteem damaged, or "rights" violated?

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think you failed to read the point of my post

How would you feel if you are than one or 2 classmates who did not get the invite. I was just pointing out the problem with how the kid handed them out. It can easily be taken as harrassment because it really does hurt when you are the one singled out.

I do agree PC is going over board. Like others have did it should be done after school and off school.

On school it should be hand them out to everyone or no one.

The cupcake example was the best.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're soft. :p

I may have been on the side where (I felt that) everyone was invited except me. I'm not entirely sure. However, I'm still alive today, and say "that's life." You can't sue every time you feel disappointment. Who was born into this world with the guarantee that you'll feel included into every group, or popular, or successful?

To take this case to Parliament is ridiculous.

Yes, "at least in the US". Was this clearly a violation of school rules in Sweden. If so, the birthday boy should be told by a teacher that he can't hand out invitations. The matter should end there. It shouldn't be a matter between him (his parents) and the Principal, and it definitely shouldn't have escalated to Parliament, no matter what the school rules are.

I believe we had a similar rule like this in Canada, but I can't remember. You could do it during school recess (15 minutes), but if you were inside the class and handing out invitations within the classroom during recess, it was OK. If you were doing it during class, you certainly weren't treated harshly, as it's not a massive rule with dire consequences to the school or anybody else. Also, they weren't taken away. You were simply told to do it later. If I was 8 years old, I probably thought the rule existed because it was a waste of class time, and a distraction.

23. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Excellent post! And I agree completely!

Another great post. Its a huge problem in today's society.

25. idyll macrumors 6502

LOL, wow. I hope nobody ever forces me to invite people I dislike to my parties