It's not just iMac sales that are affected by the lack of a refresh

Discussion in 'iMac' started by timcullis, Oct 10, 2012.

1. timcullis, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

timcullis macrumors member

After decades of using CP/M microcomputers, then MS-DOS and Windows personal computers I become totally disenchanted with the ever-more-complicated environment. Computers should by now be easy to use!

Fed up with acting as technical support to the family I decided 9 months ago to investigate moving to Apple. So I bought a MacBook Air with Apple's excellent one-to-one training and support programme and the trial was a great success. The only key application not supported under OS X was Garmin's Mapsource so I implemented Parallel's Desktop to enable this to run under Windows XP Pro.

Four months ago I started making a shopping list of what else to buy to complete the migration
    - iMac with 27-in display, 2TB disk and extra memory
    - TimeCapsule backup with 3TB disk
    - 32GB iPod (edit: iPad, not iPod)
    - another MacBook
    - 2 x iPhone 5
    - AirPrint compatible printer

That's for starters...

Key to starting the migration is the iMac, but I'm not about to pay 2012 prices for a 2011 configuration. So at the moment ALL the purchases are on hold.

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I can't really see how the iMac is blocking the rest of your purchases.

3. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

I'm guessing because if the iMac does not materialize then all the other steps are moot.

4. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

I dont get your point. iP5 was just upgraded, Macbooks not too long ago. You already have a computer to manage iOS device - which is not needed anyway.

5. timcullis, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

timcullis thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm hardly going to migrate to an iPhone or a iPad... :eek:

One of the Windows machines currently has a 23-in monitor, so the only way a MacBook will replace it is if I buy a standalone 27-in monitor at the same time. A very expensive solution!

I have a NAS RAID on the network at the moment but I'm not happy using that for primary storage on a new Apple network. I currently see the iMac acting as a central repository backed up with the TimeCapsule, then maybe over time add a NAS drive back into the equation.

One of the many conflicting rumours is that Apple is never going to update the iMac line as it sees desktops as EOL. If this were to be the case I would need to rethink everything.

Edit: Sorry, that should hard read 32GB iPad on my first post (now corrected).

6. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

7. wessew macrumors member

Apple has already communicated updates are in the works for the iMac. Besides, the iMac is not EOL; there is a very significant upgrade cycle with pent up demand and market share capture opportunity. The Mac Pro is much closer to EOL than iMac. It would go first. And if it does, that increases the opportunity set for iMac.

8. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

still, unless of course he hasn't got an auxiliary solution in mind should Apple fails to refresh the iMac, hardly seeing that happening.

auxiliary solutions easily are mac minis with TB displays at close the iMac cost. Or maybe just buy the other macbook he had in the shopping list. So again, I don't think the iMac is the real issue here, it is making the decision to get through the Apple store door and offering up all that money.

Non custom iMac (ie, no 2Gb & extra RAM as OP said)
    27-inch: 3.1GHz
    3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    4GB (two 2GB) memory
    1TB hard drive1
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB
    $1,999.00
    ===================
    Mac Mini
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    4GB memory
    500GB hard drive1
    AMD Radeon HD 6630M
    OS X Mountain Lion
    $799.00
    &
    Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
    $999.00
    ===================

Mac Mini with OS X Server
    2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB memory
    Dual 500GB 7200-rpm hard drives1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    OS X Server
    OS X Mountain Lion
    $999.00
    &
    Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
    $999.00

----------

true, and when the iMac will be refreshed, these will be almost on cycle refresh

9. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

10. timcullis thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks for the suggestion, but that's just 1920x1080 resolution and I have better than that on one of my old Windows laptops. You're absolutely right, there are solutions I could string together, but I started off saying the whole point in going down the Apple route is for simplicity.

needfx: no problems giving Apple the money, it's sitting here collecting dust. ;)
    Substituting the obsolete MacMini with its slower processor and smaller disk capacity (I want 2TB) doesn't really help. I would rather buy the obsolete iMac. :(

11. gertruded macrumors 6502

Apple is abandoning their computer customers for their iToy profits. They no longer need or care about their computer customers.

Any iMac refreshes will be minor. Geekbench scores will not improve materially and Apple no longer cares. It is all about the short term money and profits.

I am a very disgusted long term Mac user.

12. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Agreed - my point was that there are other options out there than a 27" TB display. But you do get what you pay for...

13. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

you don't know that

14. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

oh really? link please? (I think what you may be referring to was about the 2013 Mac Pro, not the imac)

----------

nor do you or any of us know the contrary.

15. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

For many, the desktop is still the main cog in their work and personal lives.
    I absolutely understand his reasons.
    He clearly doesn't want to migrate to a new "world" that will probably discard his main need.

16. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

noted, but I have already suggested mac mini alternatives

17. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

Personally, I'm not too interested in the current Mac Mini.
    I know it's a good machine, but it seems, to me, like a stopgap until a better option comes along and I simply can't afford that.

18. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Says the guy whose sig is this:

"13" 2012 MBA/i7/8GB RAM/256 GB SSD
    24" 2008 iMac/2.8GHz/6GB RAM/240GB OCZ Agility SSD/2 Ext. LaCie FW800 HDDs
    20" 2008 iMac/2.66GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HDD
    2GB Time Capsule; ATV 3; 32GB iPad; iPhone 4"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How is that a viable alternative? It is severely underpowered for being his central hub.

19. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I'm not the person stating that a Macbook and TB Display option is "a very expensive solution". The OP is. My comment was that if you want to cut costs, you can.

I personally think that a MBP coupled with a TB display make for a fine iMac replacement; more than likely you could amortize the cost of your TB display over the life of 2 MBP's; thereby reducing your overall cost.

I will probably go this route (or go with a MBA) when it is time to upgrade my desktop. Right now, the MBA in my sig is "spoken for" primarily by my wife and 1 son; I just maintain it! If it was going to be my primary computer, I would have bitten the bullet and spent the money to get the TB display along with it.

20. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

... most things in life are like that ... :rolleyes:

21. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

And, like most things in life, I can't afford it. ;)

22. timcullis thread starter macrumors member

I'm not talking about migrating just one machine over to Apple, but a small network of Windows machines with a substantial amount of data. The MacBook Pro is totally out of the running for my needs as a central repository-- the most obvious failing is that it has less than half the disk capacity I've said I need!

Almost every response has failed to acknowledge the main point of the thread, which is that Apple's failure to refresh the iMac has affected not just my iMac purchase but many others. I'm not going to be buying iPads, iPhones, more MacBooks, TimeCapsule and AirPrint printer until I feel confident about the main aspect of the migration.

23. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I wouldn't kick that much money into the Apple platform right now...

24. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's what I was going to reply. Right now from official Apple sources, we have no confirmation of any kind, however remote, that the iMac or Mac Mini will EVER be updated, and only a somewhat nonspecific confirmation that the Mac Pro will either be updated or supplanted "later in 2013."

25. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

uhhh OK. What do you want us to say?

"wow, you're right!"
    "oh no, you're wrong!"

Only you know how you will spend your money.