It's Obvious why Trump Keeps Tweeting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tapiture, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Tapiture, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

Tapiture macrumors 6502

There's a bipartisan dislike for Donald Trump's tweeting. Republican congressmen say he should stop, and even his supporters say he should stop going on Twitter tirades. But he won't stop, and there's an obvious reason for that. When you look at his twitter feed, 70% of his tweets are attacks on the media and 30% are lies and bullcrap to make it seem like he and his administration are accomplishing great things and, more importantly make himself appear better. To rephrase, 70% of his tweets are dedicated to discrediting facts and the people who report them and 30% are lies and propaganda. His end goal is to completely discredit fact in the eyes of his supporters, and get them to only believe his information, his lies. He's essentially radicalizing 30% of the country by feeding them his own "alternative facts" and manipulating them to do his bidding. Just look at the salaries for the people he has working in his administration. The highest paid people are his propagandists. It's extremely scary, and something needs to be done.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep I think what's happening is the GOP leaders are keeping an eye on the polls while they try behind the scenes to protect the office of the presidency and up front act like everything is, while not exactly normal, still under control. They cannot impeach him without political support of most of the Republicans in the House. It's up to each member to calculate how much support his district has for Donald Trump, and so to indicate to the leadership where they would stand on an attempt to impeach him (or try an Article 25 section 4 removal?). But it's obvious Trump is a disaster for the Republican party. He's a loose cannon. Every time he opens his mouth he puts the party's 2018 chances at risk in completely random ways.

The problem is a lot of Trump supporters don't give a damn about the Republican Party, or the country, or anything else in particular. They're dug in behind Trump though, a lot of them. Diehard supporters. He knew them well even during his campaign, saying he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue in NYC and not lose a single one of their votes. Not much hyperbole there, probably, although there has been some drift away from him now even in his base ranks.

I'm not thrilled that Trump supporters have the same right I do to fly the flag of our country on the Fourth of July, to be honest. I don't know all of what they mean by their support of Trump as capable of "making America great again" and some of what some of them claim as "American values" I would say are not very American at all. But, it's a free country. They probably wouldn't like knowing I'll be flying an American flag on Independence Day too. None of that matters sometimes. I remember one time in a 1971 protest in DC against the Vietnam War, I was standing next to a bunch of VFW guys waving an American flag and on the other side of me was some old guy waving a flag with a hammer and sickle on it. The flags and ideologies didn't matter to any of us that day. We were there peacefully to protest a seemingly endless war from which we wanted the country to exit.

What may really annoy the Trump fans of today though, is that they think their wannabe dictator can carry on like he has been doing, and still finish his term, whereas I am certain he cannot. I have enough faith in the GOP leadership to believe they'll put both country and their party over preservation of a president somehow gone off rails, and they'll remove him from office and do it within Constitutional bounds.

What I don't understand about Trump fans is their weird combination of defiance of "establishment" along with apparent adulation of a guy who just uses them and has no thought to their future whatsoever. Trump uses both establishment types and populists however it suits him, and throws them and/or their prospects under the bus when something else strikes him as more attractive. One of these days he's going to throw some wrong guy on the Hill under a bus and then it will be him at the mercy of his own party in Congress. By then one hopes some more of his supposedly diehard supporters will have tired of him. At least some of them have read the Constitution and may already realize that to Donald Trump, that's just an annoying piece of paper. To us, it's everything.

3. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

Well said. I hope you're right and this will just be viewed as a short period in American history where an unpatriotic and ignorant person acquired the office of presidency in a fluke, and it will serve as a lesson for reminding yourself of your values and principles as an American and not just believing one person.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

Similar to conspiracy theories, tribalism is hard to overcome with facts, since every perceived attack or criticism, no matter if true or not, only leads to further entrenchment. I think it's no accident that Trump is a master of both promoting conspiracy theories and creating fake drama and conflict (a skill he has probably picked up in his roles in reality TV).

5. samcraig macrumors P6

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

He tweets to make liberal heads spin. Mission accomplished:p

7. darksithpro macrumors regular

Democrat strategy:

Jill Stein EC recount= Fail

Persuade Republican electors to go rouge= Fail

Russian collusion to impeach President= Fail

Invoke Article 25 to remove President= Pending...

Keep trying Democrats, keep trying...

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Rigby did a great job replying to this thought, but I had to add this: It seems that many of Trump's greatest fans are simply pissed off at the world, e.g., they hate government (telling them what to do), they hate media (they don't tell me what I want to hear), they hate how the world has changed (they want some "daddy" figure to take them back to that almost-perfect world of childhood), they hate the establishment (darn intellectuals making all my decisions for me), etc.

So at this point, all of the above types seem to want to take their ball and go home, leaving the playground. But they don't stop there. They want their "daddy figure" to burn the playground down so nobody else will ever be able to enjoy it.

In other works, when Trump throws a monkey wrench into the works, they cheer him on. Trump's short sighted follows are happy but unfortunately, the rest of the country suffers. His fans are much like the workers in the film Metropolis, who, are encouraged by the evil robot Maria to revolt. Lead by Maria, the mob of workers run amok, destroying everything in their wake. The workers are jubilant, until they realize the result of their destruction is that the workers living area and homes are flooded, almost killing their children in the process.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I certainly hope this experiment is temporary, because if it's not, we are all screwed as a country. Although I can't imagine what crass incompetent vulgarian would take his place. I don't know of one waiting in the wings.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    Jill Stein is not a Democrat, thus not a Democrat strategy. But thanks for playing!

As to your other points, there were republicans persuading republicans to do the right thing too. You know..do their job as the failsafe they are supposed to be. But no, they are the ones who failed. Showing that our system no longer reliably works. Scary stuff.

Russian collusion? Investigation still pending. But hey, Fox News is now stating that collusion is not a crime so perhaps they are worried there is something there and hedging their bets.

Article 25? Yeah I don't see that going anywhere.

11. darksithpro macrumors regular

So, what's next on the Dem agenda? They have to keep coming up with false conspiracies to get him removed. C'mon, did you get any emails from your democratic friends yet on the next strategy?

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Right - as if it's only the liberals. You keep confusing calling someone out for their crap with heads spinning. Again - you show signs of someone very conflicted.

13. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I somehow doubt you'll find that in the job description for POTUS.....

14. IronWaffle, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I don't know if the article I'm linking below was posted on the forum this week. I haven't spent much time here. Despite what some here might think, many "liberals" are not really freaked out -- not even ones like me who were. I've seen Trump get in his own way so much at this point and do enough PR damage to his office that I don't worry. "We're there," I suppose. Anything else he does just reinforces what's already perceived because he's made benefit-of-the-doubt belief he could exceed expectations simply ludicrous.

That said, I still suspect he'll do four years. If the rhymes of history properly line up, maybe it'll be closer to two years. Former columnist (and new showrunner on Veep), Frank Rich recently wrote this cover story that takes a historical look at the convergences and divergences of Nixon and Trump in ways that could pertain to potential impeachment/resignation. A pertinent clip of the much, much longer (and engrossing) piece:

What finally did in Nixon — besides himself — is what will do in Trump: not the Democrats, or a turncoat base, or brave GOP leaders. “Historians have written that Nixon was persuaded to resign after the arrival at the White House on Wednesday, August 7, of a delegation from the Hill — Senator Barry Goldwater, Senate Minority Leader Hugh Scott, and House Minority Leader John Rhodes — to tell him he must go,” writes Pat Buchanan in his memoir. “This is myth.” Nixon’s collapse was well under way by then, from the ground up. With the midterms growing ever nearer, garden-variety GOP officeholders, most of them as cowardly as today’s, started to flee. The House Judiciary Committee voted on an article of impeachment on July 27, three days after a unanimous 8-0 Supreme Court, including three Nixon appointees, ruled that the president would have to turn over the White House tapes. Even then there was wavering. The ten Republicans who voted “No” on all the impeachment articles in committee would switch their votes only after the August 5 release of the “smoking gun” (a new coinage then) — the transcript of a June 23, 1972, tape showing that Nixon had ordered the facts of the Watergate break-in to be covered up six days after it happened despite his repeated public protestations otherwise. One congressman who didn’t bolt even then, Earl Landgrebe, regarded such revelations as fake news (“Don’t confuse me with the facts”), telling the Today show hours before Nixon resigned that he was “sticking with my president even if he and I have to be carried out of this building and shot.” Landgrebe hailed from Indiana’s Second Congressional District, which decades later would send Mike Pence to the House.​

Source: New York magazine: "Just Wait: Watergate didn’t become Watergate overnight, either." by Frank Rich

While I don't think there are "tapes" or "wire tapps" (sic), the geyser of leaks from the West Wing makes me think there are informed folks who can be induced to corroborate under oath whatever shenanigans Trump may be up to. Collusion with Russia? I doubt it except for perhaps tacit approval by someone who is wilfully ignorant of laws in favor of flaunting them. Emoluments? I have little doubt there's a fair amount of sketchy dealings, even if they're more a product of sloppiness and disregard than knowing illegality (though at this point it'd be hard to think he doesn't have a sense of some things he shouldn't have done, in hindsight; if he is capable of hindsight). Of course, Nixon didn't get ousted for what got the ball rolling or his biggest issues. That's how history seems to often go. Al Capone was imprisoned for tax evasion, not all that, y'know, killing'n'stuff.

To my mind, Trump's penchant for "trying to be cute" with truth is like when batters in baseball "collude" to smear away the batter's box, making it hard to call balls and strikes. Trump and his team do this with "alternative facts" and near-simultaneous, incongruent explanations of... anything... almost everything. That might have worked in his old arena, but D.C. is a different beast. It has a long memory and a depth and breadth of institutional complexities that is patient and meticulous before coughing up a hairball (or harebrained "politician"). Maybe they'll calculate it isn't worth the cost of going after him. Very possible. But they can leverage quite a leash. Institutions and these branches' independence provides a lot of diffuse cover for those friends he's not making -- including those who this week were more direct and brazen when denouncing his latest round of petulant attention-getting Tweets.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I heard it referred to today as "Trump derangement syndrome" (TDS).

16. samcraig macrumors P6

And as I have said - TDS affects both sides. For every liberal that is labeled as such, there's someone on the right who believes every word Trump says or thinks he shouldn't be held to pretty much any standard. TDS. Where you normalize and apologize for Trump non stop.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah it's the "believing one person" that is Trump's goal and that is so dangerous to any democracy. We need multiple viewpoints in the season of brainstorming the next steps for our governance. Sure then there follows a time of winnowing out ideas for what's feasible, what can we afford. First let's talk about what we can envision. In the brainstorming phase the more ideas the merrier. Later for that moment when the boss says ok thanks for the input, here's what we're gonna do. Most companies even operate like that. Trump says he does, in both business and in the White House, but the level of chaos in the WH suggests he enjoys seeing all the infighting --and even the leaks?-- but is always and only going to do whatever he wants to do.

It's abhorrent to me that at the same time we have Trump setting up as the One True Word, we also have had 13 guys in the Senate behind closed doors working out what America should get in the way of health care coverage. This is a country of 320 million diverse individuals. We got a bunch of mostly old white guys, well to do ones, figuring out what to do with the health care coverage of every American and the ensuing course corrections for one-sixth of our economy, and the Senate proposed to have no markup, no committee hearings, 20 hours total (10 for each major party) of "debate". That was Plan A.

Hi my name is Chuck Schumer and I just want to say this bill is an abomination.

Hi my name is Miitch McConnell and I just want to say this bill is as good as it gets.

OK let's vote. Mike Pence will break the tie which I believe we're starting out with...

Well as we know now, this bill raked up somewhere betwen 12 and 16% approval by the American public, so Plan B as of Friday was to go home and try to twist some arms over the telephone during the holidays.

And that's just healthcare. That's not whatever crisis may come over the hill where the normal reponse of a functional White House is to pick up the phone and get the relevant agencies on the case, where the institutional knowledge kicks in and the bureaucrats remember who did what last time and they feed the info into the still developing plans even as they roll out, and before too many critical paths are missed in the timelines for resolution.

Trump doesn't work that way. He hasn't even finished staffing his agencies. He has trust issues. He needs agency workers who are first personally loyal, then politically loyal. Competence in field is a tertiary issue, and was given deference only because his chiefs had to be confirmed by the Senate. He likes to talk with his agency chiefs every day instead of tasking them and cutting them loose to work on the agenda. They're at... figuring out what today's agenda is. They're at... exasperated because they spend more time in the White House than on their own turf where who the hell knows what's going on. The CIA director even has temporary digs at the White House since Trump insists on being briefed personally by him instead of by trained briefers. He was spending three hours a day commuting between Langley and the White House, and Trump's solution is have him move in. Oy.

So to crisis handling: If we think the response to Hurricane Katrina was a disaster on top of a disaster ( and who can forget "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"), we haven't seen anything yet. Trump not staffing up his agency directorates past a chief in many cases has been intentional and may eventually be viewed as malfeasance, but the American public has so far escaped feeling the brunt of there being no "voice at the end lf the line" in our agencies. A possible exception is a bunch of unnecessarily ruffled feathers in foreign capitals thanks to understaffing at the State Department. Some of that may come home to roost later. But domestically? I personally hope we don't have to find out how badly this administration might do with an unexpected emergency situation. And I hope people are doing their jobs in the USDA, FDA, EPA, NOAA, etc etc, no matter how bad the morale is. We depend upon their performance. We may need to tweak how our government works from time to time, but it's a crock that we need to shrink it to fit in a bathtub so we can drown it. We'll drown first. Maybe that's what the GOP has in mind! Meanwhile they're losing ground every day they let Trump toy with them. They're on track to a debacle in 2018.

18. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Lmao
    Lefties, need another two tweet threads to fill the daily quota.
    You can do it!

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I don't believe it is similar. Defending a politician is different then going off the rails attacking one. That's not to say that many on the right don't suffer TDS when talking about Nancy Pelosi, etc.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

I think otherwise. The depths at which some defend Trump at all costs is TDS.

In reality - I don't believe in TDS. It's politics and people have passionate opinions regardless of sides, who is in office, etc.

One could easily argue that for 8 years there was ODS. There's no TDS. There are opinions. And there are extremes on both sides.

21. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

I find it funny that you go on these threads just to name call and critique the quantity of so called “tweet threads.” I guess that’s just because you have no real counterpoint.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Tell your hero to tweet some more then. You can do it!

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I'm sure he has added it to his resume :p

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Writes the one compelled to reply in all of them without substance

LOL - Trump doesn't have or need a resume. You know if he ever had to use one, he's whip out his book - The Art of the Deal which he didn't even write and submit that ;)

25. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Lol! Quickly, one more and they'll win a toaster.

Trump tweets for many reasons, not least because it's the middle finger to his haters.