It's official -- Smashing Pumpkins reunion

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I know there are Pumpkins fans here, so....

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,16796,00.html?tnews

"For a year now, I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep," the bald-pated singer-songwriter writes in an open letter to fans. "But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive the Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams.

"Rock on and may God bless you! Billy Corgan."
Plans apparently include a new album.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
It's Official???

Dont get my wrong, i Love the Smashing Pumpkins, but Billy's recent experiments into music have been somewhat, well, lack-luster. Until i hear any info from Jimmy, James and D'arcy (or insert another poor bass player), i tend to disbelieve that they are actually getting back together.

I guess i just dont want to get my hopes up, those being that the band would get back together and release a hard rockin' album. I guess even if they get back together i am afraid that Billy's recent electronic influences may really not work with the Pumpkins. Mainly i am afraid that a reunion will be Zwan ver. 2 or Billy's solo career part B. I am just afraid that Billy has lost his ability to channel the power and angst that filled the Pumpkins music, especally the early music.

I do look foward to some more news about this. The possiblilty that they could get back together and rock sounds really great in the current music world we live in today. If i can hear a 30 min. version of Silver****(one that rocks, and includes a random Billy rant), then i will be a happy camper. :D Having seen 56 Pumpkins shows, i would love to add number 57.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Its not official but Billy wants to reunite the band, dunno if they will ever be as good as before since it might not be the original members.

Don't forget that Axel Rose has been bringing back Guns and Roses for 10 years now. :rolleyes:

The Truth

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2005
at my wits end (in Australia)
We can assume that any new album will be about as good as anything else that Billy has released since '99. Therefore, the best we can hope for from this reunion is that we can again here Pumpkins classics at live shows.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
hmmm this guy releases this statement the same day his new album comes out...this is called a publicity stunt my friends.

Don't get me wrong, I love some SP albums but I saw them play during their last tour and they BLEW chunks. No effort put forth at all. So before you get overly excited just remember what the pumpkins had become towards the end.

I'm taking this one with a BIG grain of salt.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
dornoforpyros said:
Don't get me wrong, I love some SP albums but I saw them play during their last tour and they BLEW chunks. No effort put forth at all. So before you get overly excited just remember what the pumpkins had become towards the end.

I'm taking this one with a BIG grain of salt.
I just wonder what shows you saw on the last tour. Personally the final show at the Metro rocked, so did the show in Atlanta at the Tabernacle. The Columbia SC show was a bit lack-luster, but that largely was due to a crappy audience. I will say that on the last tour Billy was more prone to not really care or go out of the way if the audience wasn't into it. I didn't see every show on the final tour, so i am sure some were better than others, but i would like to hear a bootleg of the show that you said "blew chunks". (btw i am not saying you are wrong, i just wanna hear it for myself..lol)

I do tend to agree with your last statement. I am taking this reunion with a grain of salt. To me this is like Billy saying; "I know Zwan and my solo album blow, so i am saying that i am sorry. If you really want to hear rock then we should reunite the band that never should have disbanded." The timing for this press release is pretty interesting...
brap said:
Coming soon to a Church Hall near you...!
Well they have been known to play a some church halls. See the Tabernacle in Atlanta, GA. :p

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
faintember said:
I just wonder what shows you saw on the last tour. Personally the final show at the Metro rocked, so did the show in Atlanta at the Tabernacle. The Columbia SC show was a bit lack-luster, but that largely was due to a crappy audience. I will say that on the last tour Billy was more prone to not really care or go out of the way if the audience wasn't into it. I didn't see every show on the final tour, so i am sure some were better than others, but i would like to hear a bootleg of the show that you said "blew chunks". (btw i am not saying you are wrong, i just wanna hear it for myself..lol)

Well they have been known to play a some church halls. See the Tabernacle in Atlanta, GA. :p

Winnipeg, Summersault 2000. I'm un-aware of any bootlegs of this show but trust me, it sucked. It was an all day festivel with the pumpkins headlining and honestly I wished I'd left before they played cuz the rest of the day was good.

Jelfish

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
Upstate NY
The Pumpkins are my favorite band. In spite of that, I am somewhat skeptical on any attempts to reunite them. I know Billy and Jimmy are in good terms. James was deemed by Billy to be the reason they split, and now he's in A Perfect Circle, so I'm not sure if he'll be into the idea. I've heard little to nothing about D'Arcy since the split (drug problem? aspiring actress?). Also, it's obvious that Billy's in a different place in his life, a place that might not connect with the fans of his more earlier angsty music (I'm only about the age of when he started the band). Perhaps Billy's nearing his mid-life crisis, realizing the passion he once had is now waning.

Anyway, if they just did a reunion tour, that would be nice. I'd definitely go see it.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
dornoforpyros said:
Winnipeg, Summersault 2000. I'm un-aware of any bootlegs of this show but trust me, it sucked. It was an all day festivel with the pumpkins headlining and honestly I wished I'd left before they played cuz the rest of the day was good.
I found a poor-quality bootleg of that show, August 9th, 2000. You are right. :) Actually i didnt think that show was considered on the Sacred and Profane tour, but upon a little research it was indeed. Sorry for the poor concert.

To the poster that mentioned a possible Billy mid-life crisis, that sounds totally logical. I just dont know how well his teenage-inspired whines and rants will sound coming from a man that is almost at 40. Personally, i trace his downfall back to Yelena Yemchuk. She is a great photographer, but to me its a bit strange that around the time they got together (mid-late Adore era) that the music began to seem a bit lack luster. (Dont get me wrong, Adore is a great album in its own right, it just is not as a strong of a album as SD or MCIS)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
faintember said:
I found a poor-quality bootleg of that show, August 9th, 2000. You are right. :) Actually i didnt think that show was considered on the Sacred and Profane tour, but upon a little research it was indeed. Sorry for the poor concert.

oh crazy, actually it would make sence that there is a boot of that show seeing as I've got a boot of A Perfect Circles set from that day.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
faintember said:

You mind pointing me to where you found that boot? I wouldn't mind re-listening just to see if the show was as bad as I remember.

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
Personally, I think his solo stuff is really good. Now 'ZWAN' - that's a different story...

Hopefully he'll continue to make more moody electronic music. I prefer the later Pumpkins albums to the earlier 'I want to drive around and drink beer' style alt-rock.

Either way, can't wait for a new album.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
crachoar said:
Now 'ZWAN' - that's a different story...
At least we agree on something. :)
crachoar said:
Hopefully he'll continue to make more moody electronic music.
If you want "moody electronic music" check out Portishead, Tricky, Hooverphonic, etc. They do it much better than Billy ever will.
crachoar said:
I prefer the later Pumpkins albums to the earlier 'I want to drive around and drink beer' style alt-rock.
When was this phase? If anything, the Pumpkins became more "I want to drive around and drink beer"-ish with their later albums. (Well, Machina made me want to drink to forget some of the songs...)
crachoar said:
Either way, can't wait for a new album.
Ditto, although i am hoping for more of an Gish/Siamese Dream era CD rather than a later/electronic/70 layers of guitar for one lick, CD. :p

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
treblah said:
I am I the only one who thinks 'Adore' was their most interesting album?
I think it has its good points. For Martha and Blank page rock in my opinion, however the album fails on songs such as Perfect, Apples+Oranjes and The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete. Basically i love the last part of the album (that is Annie-Dog to 17 (yes i love 17)).

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Since this thread is so old, and I stumbled upon it while looking for a SP bootleg (Nov 16th @ the Fox in ATL, anyone know of one?)

What does everyone think of the new Pumpkins?

Personally, I think the live show now is more outstanding than prior to the breakup, mainly because Billy stays more true to the music. As much as I love a good Corgan scream, I hated how he screamed all of the words to most songs during the pre-Adore tours, especially because Gish and SD are my favorite albums. The subtlety of his voice in the first few albums was what got me hooked to the mighty SP. Screaming songs like Starla and Hummer just doesn't do it for me. Regardless of the time period. The new ZG Billy doesn't stray nearly as far with his singing now, and no matter what people say about his voice and how he can't pull off the quiet angst-ridden singing anymore, he pulled it off perfectly at the Fox.

The Pumpkins are better live than on physical media, and that's a fact. Say what you will about Machina and Adore, but the songs from that album, when performed live, take on lives of their own. They lose the over-production (It was Billy who always wanted to load up the songs as much as possible in studio, even during SD when he went over-budget and way past deadline) and sound just as good as any Pumpkin song from any album.

Zeitgeist could have been better. Ones of the best things about early Pumpkins was how Billy's voice acted as another piece of the SP orchestra. In ZG, his voice is so overly loud that it nearly sounds separated from the songs.

The album has grown on me a lot since it's release, and it couldnt have come at a better time. ZG released last summer at the best possible time for me and helped through one of the hardest times in my life.

SP always seems to be there when ya need em.

Any opinions?

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Holy thread necromancy batman! :p
What does everyone think of the new Pumpkins?
Being a long, long time Pumpkins fan I really, really disliked Zeitgeist. To me, it just does not encompass the raw emotion of earlier SP offerings. When I listen to certain bands/composers I want to hear certain things, and in that way Zeitgeist let me down. I attribute it to my changing taste as a listener combined with the Pumpkins' (Billy's) new sound. FWIW I am all for experimental music, changing things up, etc. but the SP change sounds weak to my ears and may have much to do with me first hearing the Pumpkins when I was quite young. The live show I saw in Asheville was good, but also ranked low, so to speak, in my experience of SP shows; not a bad show, but not a "I just experienced something special" show.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
1st alice in chains reunion now the pumpkins things are looking good this year but what next soundgarden....i can only dream :)

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Interesting to read your comments faint.

I completely echo your sentiments that ZG completely blows when put next to masterpieces like Gish and SD, but it really, and I mean really, could have been worse. I think for Billy's first attempt back he was struggling to get back into his Pumpkin shoes. I think that the next attempt will be much better now that he's been on the road for a good year of touring and has been playing the classics.

What do you think of American Gothic? Same thoughts on it as with ZG?

And spoon, I'd say 1st SP and then Alice...considering SP has put out a new album and Alice is just getting underway...and SP reunited over a year ago.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
After posting I did give all of this a bit more thought, and I came to the conclusion that I partially won't allow any "new" SP albums to be "great" to me. Every time I hear ZG tune I instantly compare it to X song at X show, and how the ZG track pales in comparison. Maybe you are right in that ZG was a struggle for Billy, but if that was so why did he release it? Everything I know about Billy (articles/interviews and some personal experience) screams control freak, so in my mind, either he asserted his control with ZG and was happy with it or he let go of that control and ZG was an accidental birth. Either way annoys me, especially since I am a composer and I never, ever let anything of mine see the light of day until I am as close to satisfaction as humanly possible. Maybe Billy was satisfied with ZG, but as a listener I wasn't, though I seem to be in the minority of SP fans (including my friends that are SP fans) in my lack-luster embrace of ZG.

If the band comes back around my way again and I can see them I will, just to see if the live show has regained what I missed from the older days.
What do you think of American Gothic? Same thoughts on it as with ZG?
Actually, I haven't heard the AG recordings, and unless a copy finds it's way into my hands I doubt I ever will give them a listen. Honestly, I just don't care if I hear them or not, which makes me a bit sad.

P.S. Don't let my negativity get to you, as I can be really negative when it comes to the new SP.