It's official, US is staying in Syria for some time.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
It's official, US is staying in Syria for some time.

Late last year #45 in all his ego driven need for distraction announced the US will pullout of Syria.
#45:
“We have won against ISIS,” Mr. Trump declared in a video posted Wednesday evening on Twitter, adding, “Our boys, our young women, our men — they’re all coming back, and they’re coming back now.”
Now it is official, US troops will continue its mission as before.
President #45 on Monday pushed back against reports that National Security Adviser John Bolton had contradicted the president's initial plans to quickly withdraw troops from Syria, saying the U.S. will leave the war-torn country at "a proper pace."
IOW, not "they’re coming back now.” but when the job is done and all pockets of ISIS are eliminated.
#45 has been beaten into walking back his decision by everyone in his staff and congress, most recently National Security Adviser John Bolton (per quote above). Oh, SURE, #45 is saying he has not changed is position, but anyone can easily see #45 did in re-neg his position.

The nail? Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu calling Idiot-45 himself and dropping warnings and subtle threats.

More proof that #45 is in pockets of others as he does anything to keep certain people happy.

I hope #45 supporter here realize #45 does not care 1 atom for your concerns.
#45 does anything and everything to trick you into supporting him and believing #45.
Don't fall for Goebbels-in-Chief!!

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Well, it looks like some sort of sanity has prevailed. Protect the Kurds until something can be sorted out that doesn't involve putting them under the yoke of a bloodthirsty dictator or result in a slaughter.

EDIT: I bet Netanyahu's warnings weren't so subtle.

Reactions: hulugu

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
I found the deification of Mattis rather nauseating, but it's amazing that Trump ended up forcing him out over a policy he later abandoned.
Yep. Mattis, nor Kelly for that matter, deserve the drive-by hagiographies they received after leaving the Trump administration. That said, it's fascinating to me that Trump made this announcement, but now he's walking it back, like almost everything this administration does.

The White House has no credibility.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you want an exhibit of Trump Incompetence or manipulation this is it. He blurts out “I’m pulling US Troops out of Syria (did it start near the election?) because he thinks it appeals to someone, yet they are not pulling troops out until a laundry list of things are accomplished. I listened to a report on NPR this morning. This is just plainly bad, incoherent, and/or manipulative leadership. :mad:
[doublepost=1546960421][/doublepost]
Yep. Mattis, nor Kelly for that matter, deserve the drive-by hagiographies they received after leaving the Trump administration. That said, it's fascinating to me that Trump made this announcement, but now he's walking it back, like almost everything this administration does.

The White House has no credibility.
Trump is always a would be manipulator first and foremost.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Ehh...stuff like this happens.

Obama said he was going to close Guantanamo Bay. Didn’t happen.

It’s easy to make these campaign promises when you don’t have all the facts, but when you receive information only the commander in chief is privy to, I imagine their opinion on the matter changes quite fast.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
As others have noted in other threads, is this an elaborate shell-game on Trumps' part to distract from the reality of his time in Office?

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
It’s easy to make these campaign promises when you don’t have all the facts, but when you receive information only the commander in chief is privy to, I imagine their opinion on the matter changes quite fast.
As Mr. Trump began exploring a presidential run in 2014, his political advisers landed on the idea of a border wall as a mnemonic device of sorts, a way to make sure their candidate — who hated reading from a script but loved boasting about himself and his talents as a builder — would remember to talk about getting tough on immigration, which was to be a signature issue in his nascent campaign.

“How do we get him to continue to talk about immigration?” Sam Nunberg, one of Mr. Trump’s early political advisers, recalled telling Roger J. Stone Jr., another adviser. “We’re going to get him to talk about he’s going to build a wall.”

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Bolton get summoned over to his masters in Israel,Mattis is fired, and Trump gets a few phone calls from Netanyahu and others over at AIPAC. All the sudden we have a change of mind. Now they want him to recognize the Golan Heights as Israeli property too.
We need to get as much out of this guy before he gets impeached. Useful people like him don’t come around too often.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Bolton get summoned over to his masters in Israel,Mattis is fired, and Trump gets a few phone calls from Netanyahu and others over at AIPAC. All the sudden we have a change of mind. Now they want him to recognize the Golan Heights as Israeli property too.
We need to get as much out of this guy before he gets impeached. Useful people like him don’t come around too often.
Careful, Trump might quote you on Twitter.

FrenchRoasted

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
I knew I should have held my enthusiasm for a small lurch towards peace. The real rulers of America get what they want.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They are discussing this on Morning Joe this morning. It was said (paraphrased):

When Trump lives in his personal fantasy land, it’s amusing, but when his fantasies adversely effect the security of the country, then it’s no longer amusing and we need to be worried.

My position is I want us to withdraw as head world policeman, can no longer afford it nor do we have the moral authority for this role. And I want local or European players to take the lead in this conflict, but we have to stay involved militarily at some level, for our and our ally’s best interests.

Virtually the only people who support Trump’s public statement that we have conquered ISIS, and it’s time to go home, are Trump himself, and his merry band of supporters. There are no experts in this arena, including our Allies who think Trump is a savy smart leader.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Well if it was sa
They are discussing this on Morning Joe this morning. It was said (paraphrased):

When Trump lives in his personal fantasy land, it’s amusing, but when his fantasies adversely effect the security of the country, then it’s no longer amusing and we need to be worried.

My position is I want us to withdraw as head world policeman, can no longer afford it nor do we have the moral authority for this role. And I want local or European players to take the lead in this conflict, but we have to stay involved militarily at some level, for our and our ally’s best interests.

Virtually the only people who support Trump’s public statement that we have conquered ISIS, and it’s time to go home, are Trump himself, and his merry band of supporters. There are no experts in this arena, including our Allies who think Trump is a savy smart leader.
Well if it was said on Morning Joe then it must be true.