It's Official: Watches are not Cool.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mrbobb, Dec 1, 2012.

1. leenak macrumors 68020

Interesting article. Them using Facebook as an example is pretty telling because I think if you had asked anyone over 30 when FB came out if it would be successful, I'm not sure many would've agreed. If you want 'fresh' ideas to appeal to a younger generation, having some younger people in your organization can help. I don't think that means only using a younger generation.

I've worked with people who have printed out every single email they got. Every. single. one.

I've also worked with the under 30 crowd that will constantly look at Facebook under the table on their phone during a staff meeting.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The Missing Link, obviously. ;)

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Sixth paragraph from the end,

In person, older job applicants should carry a backpack, not a briefcase, he says. Avoid Blackberries and Dell laptops in favor of Android phones and Apple products. And above all, steer clear of wristwatches, which most younger people have replaced with the clocks on their phones. "The worst would be a gold Rolex," he says. "Tacky, and old."

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But it's neigh impossible to wear a Porsche on your wrist. :(

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Most likely hipster skinny jeans and over sized eye glasses.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I disagree with this statement. Younger professionals prefer Breitling and Omega. Nothing wrong with Rolex but it is seen as a mark of achievement for Boomers more so than younger generations.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You are missing the point. The article is about department managers and whom they are hiring. It is not a matter of looking like you have "made it" but a matter of looking like the kind of person they are likely to want. If you are too much of a fogey festooned with farcical foppery from the former generation, you will get shut out. They want "with it" people who are mentally and culturally agile.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Guilty as charged. :p Safari's search failed me I searched for watch/watches/wristwatch and didn't find it.

B

10. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Style - you've got it or you don't. Wristwatches or a lack thereof won't change that.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It was more of a side note. If an article is going to talk about the impact of understanding cultural differences, then it needs to understand watch culture as it is a huge component of corporate culture in America (and maybe elsewhere?) (pens are as well). Rolex is not embraced by younger managers as it is in slightly older ones. Rolex is usually embraced by the Baby Boom+ generation and the Submariner and Datejust are marks of success for that cohort. Breitling, Tag, and Omega are embraced by younger managers usually comprising newer money. Pateks are more common in old money. All make different statements and "too nice" of a watch can indeed hurt you. However, the good or bad of the 'gold Rolex' is completely contextual.

Watches in politics say a lot too. President Obama, who between his use of a Blackberry, social media, and continual engagement of newer technologies, I think we can agree is tech savvy and is "with it." He owns a Tag and it was one of the things he regards as a bench mark of his success. Hillary Clinton, who is in a slightly older cohort, wears a Rolex. Bill has a Rolex too, and commonly wears a JLC. During his presidency, he wore a different set of watches. Dubya wore a Timex.

I guess what I am getting at is that age bias is contextual.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

This. I get what the article is about or trying to say but whether you have something as expensive or pretentious as a Rolex or something more casual like a Fossil, it's just style, there's no such thing as "not cool".

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Cool versus not cool isn't really the question for many. Certain watches mark personal achievement and the time and effort that goes into making them is something some people appreciate. My Breitling is a marque of my academic success and it was purchased as (likely) heirloom. Just like any subgroup, if you are a watch person you appreciate things about watches that the average person may not. To some, spending $5k on a watch is ridiculous. To others, it's something they see as important enough to spend their money on. Some people like cars, some fine dining, some rare alcohols, some music, etc. What you choose to spend your money on is a personal choice.

But business success is a whole different topic. In today's world, you NEED to be on the inside of technological understanding and innovation. While a timepiece can be potentially beneficial or the opposite, you don't need a watch or to be a certain age, you need a skill-set. It so happens that younger persons are at an advantage in this sense because technology is something we all grew up with. None of us ever imagined that FaceBook would become one of the most powerful advertising agencies in the world when we signed up for it about a decade ago...but we have a more comprehensive understanding of it and an ability to adapt. In this sense it is about "who is best fit for the job and most prepared to adapt to future needs?"

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Twenty years ago it was watch, shoes and suit in my business (finance). Car was also high on the list. Ability and personality were way down there... somewhere. I haven't worn a watch for over 10 years and boy I'm glad to get rid of the necktie too. I wear rubber boots most of the time now. I think we are finally witnessing some progress.

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I agree, in today's workforce you're going to have to be familiar with technology - there really shouldn't be any argument with that. All I'm saying is that one person's knowledge should not be judged on what he wears, which is why I quoted that post. If i decide to go casual with a shirt, tie and maybe a nice watch, in this case say a Rolex, because that's how I dress, why should I be judged on that? Let's go further, I carry a BlackBerry too. I'm in my mid-20's, so you're going to judge me on that without talking to me? Simply ridiculous.

Hey if that's how an employer wants to find employees, who am I to argue but I find that extremely silly. Apple Retail is guilty of this, from experience but I'm not going to get into that.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So if what I read about the article is accurate, people hire younger even if they won't have experience as long as they look hip. So age discrimination is a good thing now and looking like a lazy high school kid is hirable. If this is the case the country is doomed in 10 years.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I agree with you except if I see someone using a BlackBerry I would make the assumption they are at least somewhat tech savvy, which is a positive assumption. In many respects, the advent of "IT" has brought "business casual" to corporate culture, and "business formal" has become less and less common, partly because direct action has been replaced with more efficient methods of mass communication. Most of the 'all-stars' at my work dress very casually, and so it shows dress choice and performance aren't always linked.

Any one of us can go to the store and buy a Rolex, and the only thing that we would have in common is that we bought a Rolex. A watch can say a lot about you as an individual, but it doesn't speak to direct abilities or inabilities. Neither do many other material possessions, as you dont have to be smart to be rich (Source).

Although buying/using a smartphone I think in some ways suggests adaptability, which is becoming an increasing important as a trait because in this age of the hyperspeed dissemination of information, a company (or even government) without the ability to adapt is a company that won't be a company for very long. Whether one agrees with President Obama or not, one major initiative he has taken is the 'modernization of government,' which speaks to the value of adaptability. Today's ability to use social media for business is something no one would have predicted a decade ago, but it is key element of success. Even many business management programs are yet to incorporate more modern teachings into core lessons.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

19. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Porsche design watches

KGB

20. AhmedFaisal, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Luminox's are bad ass to the tenth power. :cool:

22. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Wheres the Diesel love? Over sized bezel? Military Suunto smart watch love?

23. leenak macrumors 68020

I also personally haven't worn a watch since college. I don't see a reason to. Spending money on watches is silly unless it serves a specific function for a specific activity like an altimeter or GPS or HRM.

24. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Oops!

Attached Files: