It's one thing that apple's spill protection is crap on notebooks but on a keyboard..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macman34, Apr 20, 2013.

1. macman34 macrumors regular

that's stand alone they have no excuse for not laboring to make it if not spill proof then spill resistant.

I recently spilled my cup of tea over my wired white/aluminum keyboard. Should have unplugged it too, I know, but I didn't. But I was quick to turn it upside down and dry it up meticulously.

Now I, as I am sure most here over a certain age, have spilt various warm liquids, soft beverages, hard liquor, beer, water, you name it over over keyboards in my lifetime, and in all honesty I 've not managed to ruin any of them. The apple keyboard has got a whole half line of keys not working. :mad:

But why should they care? I 'll be shelling up my hard earned cash pretty soon for another because of this.

Maybe when the stock hits $200 they 'll try to take care that their super expensive keyboards can offer a minimum of resistance to spills and decent life cycle thus. :cool:

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

To me, the essential issue is the magnitude of the spill. I would agree, a few drops of water shouldn't, I guess, put a keyboard totally out of commission. Increase the quantity of fluid, add some sugar and/or corn syrup sweetener (soft drink) and I'm not sure how much protection can be built in. Now increase the quantity of fluid to 6 -8 ounces of fluid (a full cup of tea), and I wonder if any keyboard will tolerate that without significant damage.

I understand you are pissed off that you keyboard is not working, but I'm not sure you're really being fair in your condemnation of any purveyor of keyboards...Apple or anyone else.:)

3. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

This is not an Apple-specific problem. Most keyboards would do the same thing.

There are some other products you may be interested in, however....

4. COrocket macrumors 6502

I'm not really sure how your mistake is now Apple's fault. Nowhere does Apple claim that their keyboards are spill resistant/proof. If I had to take a guess why Apple does not build a waterproof keyboard is because there probably isn't enough consumer demand to justify adding the additional expense. I agree that making a keyboard more durable is a desirable quality, but its a two way street where Apple expects people to exercise reasonable care when using their products.

If you shop around there are tons of "washable" keyboards that are easy to clean. If spilling things is a frequent issue, you might want to consider one. Another option is a keyboard cover http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Black-...66495380&sr=8-2&keywords=apple+keyboard+cover
    They are relatively cheap and would probably prevent initial liquid from getting in between the keys.

5. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

I yell at several family members for the same thing.

Stop putting your drink near your laptops or tablets.

This is also why I always purchase a square trade warranty instead because they will cover accidents in these scenarios.

Also may i suggest just plugging in a wireless keyboard instead, it is a cheaper solution and a common one since your keyboard is not working properly anymore.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes, I can see how you could say that it's not Apple's fault that you had a cup of liquid near your keyboard. But there are some companies like Lenovo who pride themselves not just on making spill resistant keyboards, but spill resistant laptops too.

Of course Lenovo also threw a Thinkpad from a trebuchet and then turned it on...

7. Radiating macrumors 65816

So let me get this straight. You are mad because you feel that Apple designed the laptop poorly because it does not resist spills. Something it was NEVER intended to do.

Just an FYI the laptop actually IS designed to resist spills. The keyboard cover is designed to contain liquid to the keyboard so it doesn't damage the laptop. I know of at least 3 other manufacturers of laptops who's high end products would result in your computer not even turning on.

If Apple wanted they could make the whole computer water resistant by applying a water repelant coating which is a brand new technology that lets you coat any peice of technology in an atomized vapor in a vaccine chamber and it will bond to the surface but preserve all electrical plugs.

One of the manufacturers is called liquipel and they will be offering the treatment for laptops for around $150 soon. An investment if you only have a small chance of damaging the laptop.

8. macman34 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies, and some very good points you guys have made, most of them well taken and I can see your point of view. Thanks for the links too for the washable keyboards, I wasn't aware of them. Clumsy me should probably have one of these.

I need to point out however, that a. it wasn't like a full cup of tea, just 1/4 of it, and b., like the above poster said it's not nuclear science to built some spill resistance into the keyboard. Apparently it looks like apple hasn't put any effort whatsoever. And it's not like their keyboards are cheap or that they can claim any space constraints as they do with their notebook line. What I am saying is it's one thing to make the keyboard spill proof, and another to be completely carefree about any engineering means of minimizing damage upon contact, which is imho what apple's been doing.

As far as keeping your drink away from your keyboard, ok, fair enough, but it's hard to really work and have your cup of tea while keeping it a few feet away.

(as an aside I thought it might be the honey in the tea that would do the keyboard in, turns out it didn't, surprisingly just one key is honey sticky, and half a row of keys dead)

Strange thing is, or maybe it's not so strange as it takes some time for the damage to take place, that the keyboard worked fine for a day and then it went half limp the next one.

Well anyway, first world problems, thanks for everyone's 2cs. :)

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Let me make a totally irrelevant comment (as if you could stop me)...this is a great thread. Reasonable responses, no nastiness, and especially...your wonderful, open, response above...devoid of the usual defensive anger.

Thanks, Mate!!:D

10. macman34, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

macman34 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really know what you are driving at buddy. It's about my keyboard, we are in a mac peripherals sub forum. Having said that, FYI apple's notebooks are NOT designed to resist spills, myself and others have extensive and bitter as the bitterest black (spilled) coffee on this. Especially so since they have started thinning them out, starting with the most spill destruction prone the macbook air.

@Shrink: Thank you very much, and thanks for setting the appropriate tone for this thread with your first reply. It could have all gone south into defensive anger hadn't it been for that, great moderating by participating and by setting an example. :)

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Perhaps instead of a Mac, a Panasonic Toughbook with a fully rubberized keyboard would be more appropriate for someone prone to spilling, pouring or dumping minimal to large quantities of fluids with or with out additives like sugars, food coloring and dyes onto their computers.

Attached Files:

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

A very reasonable and practical suggestion...but, gosh all hemlock...that is one ugly sucker!:eek:

13. macman34 thread starter macrumors regular

Well unless my clumsiness really degrades over the next few months, or some dictator loon declares war on my part of the world, I ll avoid the combat gear for the time being and settle for one of these I guess:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wash...6506384&sr=1-1&keywords=washable+mac+keyboard

Although, so far I 've not found the mac variant of it, and I get a sense there isn't any. (thanks to the poster above btw for linking to this one)

14. Radiating macrumors 65816

Oh I thought you were discussing the Apple notebooks for some reason.

The Apple keyboard is an inexpensive device, what can you say? They're only $60, but honestly everything Apple makes should be coated in liquipel.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Indeed, however they are truly purpose-built laptops and do take a beating. We use them (not this particular model) in our patrol cars across the county and they've held up quite well for many years.

But as a mere suggestion to one whom may be a klutz, this would be an invaluable laptop as it can withstand those nasty spills, terrifying drops and all around maleficence that would be done to it. Just like the old Timex commercials, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. [Insert trademark infringement lawsuit here]

16. macman34 thread starter macrumors regular

In Europe they sell for about $95 sadly. I might have a look at the liquipel thing, so thanks for the heads up. I am in the market for a retina macbook pro, which is going to hurt just a taaaaad more than a keyboard if it goes kaput after a spill. Of course I am going to get it a silicone skin cover but it's not always the best feeling to type with a condom, as is the case with other activities too.

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Interesting analogy. (Or is it a simile?)

Very disturbing...but interesting.

You must have a very rich fantasy life!:eek:

18. gr8tfly, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I usually just read these threads with amazement and a shake of the head, but something finally snapped and I had to post this time.

Maybe I'm the exception - I don't fit in your "most" category - I've been working around computers, keyboards, mice, what-have-you for most of my life, including 30+ years as a s/w (and some h/w) engineer, and have never spilt a drink on equipment. Yes, I have had some minor oops on the desk away from any keyboard or other electronics, but it only results in a damp desk. That includes working near $1M/each products (Back in the "day". Later years saw more restrictive rules - because admittedly, not everyone can be cautious enough. That said, I'm not trying to paint myself as some sort of beverage-safety-saint. Just as someone who's been careful and somehow avoided the unforeseen.)

Either take the extra caution to examine the environment around where you keep your drink, or, keep it away entirely (the collective 'you' - not just the OP). I'm kind of tired (kind of?) of reading these rant threads about something (Apple products at MR) not surviving being drenched with a beverage. Even if it were claimed to be water resistant, it doesn't mean it's immune to damage (as in if you buy something that's actually advertised to be resistant as opposed to what you did buy).

On top of being cautious about where the drink is placed, there's also the option of keeping it in a spillproof cup/mug.

Instead of blaming Apple, suck it up, yell at your mug for violating your trust :rolleyes:, etc., and just buy a new keyboard.

Ahhhhhh. That's better. Now where's my beer?

19. macman34 thread starter macrumors regular

I know where it would be if you 'd left it next to my mac. On my keyboard! :D

Seriously though I am proud of myself, I went a full year and a half with no liquid damage, after not one, but too macbooks dead, with only a keyboard as a casualty. The for spares or repairs category at ebay is sure missing me. Btw, can you sell a keyboard for spares or repair? :D

20. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad you took it in the spirt it was intended.

Stuff does happen - I just tried to keep the risk to a minimum, and in my case, it's worked out. :eek:

I'm not sure it's worth the effort, but I've seen key caps for sale at eBay... :)

21. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

22. thehustleman macrumors 65816

ALL keyboards should have some type of spill resistance. Shouldn't even be an option

23. Pinkie Pie macrumors regular

I don't get it. How many things do you own that WOULDN'T be damaged by having liquid spilled over them? :confused: And why are computers supposed to be the exception?

24. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

"It's one thing that apple's spill protection is crap on keyboards but on a notebook.."

25. mslide macrumors 6502a

Really? I never have. I'd think that someone who has done this that many times would have learned their lesson by now about placing liquids so close to electronics. It's not Apple's fault that you haven't.