It's open mic tonight and I thought of stand up routine

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Jul 27, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have talked about doing standup comedy for years but never got the guts.

But today there is this car almost parked in the middle of the road, or six feet from curb and it's a famous Hispanic celebrity (prolly from 60s or 70s) with a Bentley with California license plate "laugh".

He was in a big hurry not to get noticed and bugged by tourists in my tourist town.

This gave me some courage and maybe it's a sign to do standup, but I can't think of this famous predecessor to George Lopez. Any ideas? I couldn't google it and find out.

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Cheech Marin?

Do the routine. You won't regret it... if it's funny.:D

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Francisco Franco?

His coup d'état against the Popular Front was hilarious!

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I will have to look him up. The name doesn't ring a bell though. I will see if google has images. The man I saw was late-60s to late-70s (maybe older).

5. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I know him from Nash Bridges, and I wish it was him but I would know Cheech from a mile away. No this guy was as famous in those days but the name escapes me.

He seemed to dash into the post office to get either a box or stamps and rush out of there unnoticed, but his bad parking job made him obvious. I am from far enough back to recognize him. Younger people wouldn't know him, but he's right before Cheech Marin and was one of the first minorities to hit it big along with Flip Wilson and Bill Cosby.

I think he played mostly Hispanic characters or Arab characters in a racy way, like Sacha Baron Cohen with his hilarious, yet insulting BºRAT and Ali G., and this comic was very politically incorrect for his time. It's people like Lopez and Mencia who owe a lot to the pioneers who were able to touch on areas that were considered taboo. I have to say I loved Eddie Murphy's characters over the years (48 hours, Coming to America, and Trading Places) but I do understand when people do get upset at comics who cash in on negative stereotypes.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

LOL. You gonna be here all week?:D

Could it have been Father Guido Sarducci? Now I'm curious...

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

This just in....Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

8. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Me, too. I don't think it's the Priest from recent pictures I have seen. Part of my family are Sicilian and do have very dark skin and are often thought to be Mexican-American/Hispanic. Guido appears to have light skin and this man definitely looked either Hispanic or Arab.

Celebrities visiting very small resort towns like mine (similar to Aspen or some small town in the Hamptons) don't want to get stuck signing autographs on their time off from fans. I do understand his great hurry and recognizing the face from comedy does fit with him having a new Bentley with the license plate "LAUGH". Another name that came up from a local was Freddie Prinze but he died many years ago.