Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mxsix

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
I live in So Cal and right about now it's an unbearable 88 Fahrenheit, IN MY ROOM!

:(

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I live in So Cal and right about now it's an unbearable 88 Fahrenheit, IN MY ROOM!

:(

I'm thankful for A/C down here, although to save energy costs I keep it up almost near 80. But 8 degrees more makes a big difference.

I used to live in SW Michigan without A/C and the summers were miserable with the humidity. The low at night would be around 85 every night. I had a hard time sleeping in the summer...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Haha, sucks to be you.

NorCal > SoCal
Teehee. For real. For real. :D

To be fair, yesterday in my area it was er, 107º? I think? 10xº F. Shrug.

Today is damned well "cool" in comparison. :p

FYI: I almost never turn on AC and if I do, its in 1xxº+ weather and I always have it to 80º F. :)

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Might I suggest soaking your bedsheets in ice water and then wrapping yourself in them when you go to sleep at night? It worked for my friend's brother....

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
The high here was only 96°, down to 74° now...so the A/C is off. Can hear the fireworks from Disneyland off in the distance.

Come on SoCal peeps, it's not like it's this way all the time. I usually only have to run the A/C ten to fifteen afternoons a year and the heater half as often. It's paradise, except for around 20 days out of the year.

That said, if you live in the valleys or the IE and don't have A/C, then you (or your parents) need to have psychological profile(s) done.

Mxsix

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
The high here was only 96°, down to 74° now...so the A/C is off. Can hear the fireworks from Disneyland off in the distance.

Come on SoCal peeps, it's not like it's this way all the time. I usually only have to run the A/C ten to fifteen afternoons a year and the heater half as often. It's paradise, except for around 20 days out of the year.

That said, if you live in the valleys or the IE and don't have A/C, then you (or your parents) need to have psychological profile(s) done.

Haha, I'm listening to the fireworks as well. Those things are loud!

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Just turn SMC fan control on one of your macs and rev up the fans...there you go.

tartsquid

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2006
Reston, VA
My apartment only has wall units, and they're not particularly effective at cooling the whole place. It was miserable when the temperatures were hitting 100 here! Setting a bowl of ice in front of a fan will help you a lot.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Quit your complaining. I can't remember the last time it wasn't 110 degrees or hotter here in Phoenix. I'd do anything to have an "unbearable" 88.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Haha, sucks to be you.

NorCal > SoCal

Santa Barbara >> everywhere else.

:p

picture1en6.png

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hope you get into the cool soon!

It's fairly cool here today (88, although typically humid) and it looks like it's going to start storming in the next couple of hours. I swam and then ran and then went swimming again. :) Now I'm back inside. The thermostat is not good at locking onto temperatures between 75 and 80 for some reason :rolleyes: ... meaning that it seems to make a binary decision between these two temperatures for anything nearby (I'd like about 78). It's set to about 82 to keep the house at 80 now. Le sigh. No luck in getting the complex to replace it.

Also the car alarm outside turns out to be the roaming towers towing the white car next to my white car.

Anyway, go to a sportsbar and watch some football or something! :)

pedroconejo

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2007
100+degrees? Well serves you right for moving to VanNuys. People weren't built to live there and the place wasn't built to be livable.
It was, however, a cool 79 in Marina Del Rey.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Is it terribly humid in SoCal? The humidity is what makes the heat over here in NC so hard to deal with.

Not normally, but we still have some moisture from the remnants of Dean lingering, so it's a little more humid than it normally is. I think it's normally under 20%, but currently 44% at my location.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Like another poster said, the weather in SoCal is good enough that around 335 days out of the year you don't A/C or heat. That's a far cry from when I lived in Indiana where you were typically running A/C or heat nearly year round.

88 inside does suck though. When I use the A/C (which has just been recently) I only drop it down to 80 or so. That plus using fans to keep the air circulating does the job nicely.

Lethal

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Like another poster said, the weather in SoCal is good enough that around 335 days out of the year you don't A/C or heat. That's a far cry from when I lived in Indiana where you were typically running A/C or heat nearly year round.

88 inside does suck though. When I use the A/C (which has just been recently) I only drop it down to 80 or so. That plus using fans to keep the air circulating does the job nicely.

Lethal

Ohh you lived in Indiana? Yah the weather sucks here.

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Being in Phoenix, I am amused with the 88 degree debacle.
I believe we just broke a record for days over 110 degrees!
IT"S BRUTAL! Both cars have no AC, at least till next Friday as we are getting 2 new vehicles with our re-fi money.
Last year our house AC went out for 3 days in August & we about lived in the shower. let me know if it gets to 102 at night & I'll be a bit more sympathetic. :)

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Is it terribly humid in SoCal? The humidity is what makes the heat over here in NC so hard to deal with.

Exactly. Two or three weeks ago it was about 105 degrees here, which on its own is actually bearable, but with the heat index it hit 115. We moved into a new house that week and it doesn't have ac. Needless to say it wasn't fun. The week after that was still warm (head index of over 100) but it felt positively cool in comparison.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005

Lethal

It's true—and occaisionally you run both in the same day. Those days are really fun.

Last summer my aunt lost her AC in in middle of a heat wave. Her and my cousins wound up sleeping in the basement because it was so hot inside the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.