It's pretty liberating not being attached to my phone...and Handoff?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mikepepe86, Jun 2, 2015.

1. mikepepe86 macrumors regular

I've had my Watch for a couple of days now and I have to say...if nothing else it's really quite awesome not feeling attached to my phone all day. Very easy to pick and choose when I stare at my iPhone and when I can just let it be. If nothing else I'd say that alone is worth the price of admission!

Difficult to decide on a watch face...I like them all in different ways haha. Only thing I'm really getting used to is actually WEARING a watch again. It's been...10 years since I've worn one. All other smart watches couldn't get me to keep it on. Thinking this will stick. Anyone else getting used to wearing a watch again with AW?

Looking forward to native apps hopefully in the Fall. One thing...Handoff from Watch to Phone; can someone take a moment and fully explain how this works. I have it turned on but I don't think I'm executing it correctly or failing to understand when or what apps to use it with. Thank you!

2. skyking517 macrumors regular

I have had the same exact thought, I got mine last night and today is my first full day wearing it. Sitting at my desk I have hardly touched my phone, and it feels very good. I am very happy with this purchase so far!

3. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

It's been nice! I have had mine since launch day, and like you said, I can pick and choose when to look at my phone, because my watch allows me to filter the notifications. Instead of each notification coming and pulling my phone out, I can see it in the watch, determine if it is important, and either act on it or dismiss it.

4. Tomloes macrumors member

For handoff, when you switch to your phone, you'll see the icon of whatever app is being handed off in the bottom left. Swipe up on it (and then unlock the phone) and it should complete the handoff. Using this for texting is nice when I realize I need to type out something and pull my phone out.

5. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I'm also getting used to wearing a watch for the first time in a long time. Hasn't been too difficult - this is a very comfortable watch. I will sometimes loosen it a notch and move it back on my wrist just to let my arm breathe a little, but not a big deal.

Besides not having to pull out my phone as much, I also really like that the notifications I get now are gentle taps instead of jarring vibrating or ringing.

6. mikepepe86 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah ok gotcha. So then this only works AW to iPhone, now iPhone to AWA. I notice with Maps it works both ways (I assume because it's using the phones GPS). I'll try this out in Messaging and Emails. Thank you!

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I've had my Watch since May 13th. It's my first watch since the Fossil watch my parents bought me when I was 12. I haven't went a day without it since I got it. I love this thing. I've silenced all my notifications and exclusively get all my calls and texts via taps on my wrist. It really is liberating.

8. amirite macrumors 6502a

I started wearing a Watch last year in preparation for the Apple Watch. I'd recommend anyone waiting for their Apple Watch to buy a cheap watch to hold them off until they get one.

9. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

For the first time yesterday I spoke to my wife using my AW, while she was driving home last night from work. And even though the speaker is not very loud, I still could hear her quite well.

Today I leave my phone In my locker at the gym. And still was able to get notifications and control music via Bluetooth earphones. I most say that this experience as been amazing so far.