Its still early days but...NYC to Australia.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Globug, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Globug, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

So Ive been lurking here for a few months, and never registered because i never really had anything to add/share. But now i think i might have a valid question :).

I'm currently in NYC with an iPhone 4s running 5.1, stock but waiting for a JB, and I'm planning on moving to Australia around the new years/feb mark. Since my contract won't be up until Nov 2013 i won't be able to update to iPhone "whatever"... and am still planning on staying with the 4s, just going to possibly give my mom my sim to use in another phone.
    What are my chances of unlocking or will the ATT 4s work with a foreign sim if I'm out of the US, since i know Verizon does that but not too familiar with ATT as Ive never really had to figure it out.

Guess my question to the Aussies would be what are the chances apps/ functions that work in the states might not work in Australia eg siri. Is there anything else i should keep in mind or watch out for if i do migrate with my phone?

Thanks.. hoping this isn't too stupid of a question.:eek:

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

I know <b> ATT</b> won't, but i'm staying what are my chances of a general unlock?

4. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

You should just buy a gevey sim or two (good to have an extra one since they're not the most durable things in the world). They work perfectly once you're out of range of AT&T's signal. Trying to get them to work on T-mobile is a bit tough with the AT&T signal still around, but as soon as you leave the country, it becomes super easy.

5. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

Will that still allow all features to work? When its time to leave i'll def look into that. thank you.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You are leaving in roughly 8 months. I wouldn't put it beyond ATT to offer unlocks for overseas carriers. Why? Literally all of their competition does it. Obviously this is not a sure thing, but I wouldn't say there is no chance for an unlock either.

7. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

All the features will still work, whether or not you get 3G and what speeds you get is all dependent on the carrier in Australia.

The phone itself will work perfectly though as long as you keep it jailbroken and don't update, otherwise you have to re-jailbreak and then there's a chance the gevey unlock will not work, and you'll have to wait for Gevey to update their unlocking hardware, and then buy another chip from them.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you are going gevey, you may as well get the official hardware unlock... it's sold on ebay for around $120. This will get your AT&T GSM iPhone 4S unlocked for any carrier worldwide permanently.

EDIT: Wow... I didn't realize how drastically the gevey prices had dropped.:eek:

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Why not just sell your AT&T iPhone and buy a new one once you move? Less trouble than dealing with unlocks, and by then the new iPhone will probably be out and you get an upgrade...

10. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

My phone is currently NOT JAIL BROKEN. I'm planning on jail breaking it as soon as a jailbreak is available.

I would prefer to keep my phone, and not get a new one there for reasons i don't' really want to go into now, but I'll also look into the official unlock on eBay too. Its still very early days, but I'm doing preliminary research, its never too early. :)