It's terribly annoying when people say that the iPhone should be thinner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Mar 8, 2012.

?

Do you want to the iPhone to be even thinner than the current 4S?

1. No

107 vote(s)
    60.5%
  2. Yes

70 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

It's thin enough.

Really, it is. We aren't at the point where we Apple can make it thinner without compromising battery life and component addition, and most importantly, making it thinner will just make it easier to break and lose.

Stop asking for it to be thinner, Paris Hilton wannabes.

2. thenerdal macrumors 65816

I agree that it's thin enough, but Apple can make it thinner. There are thinner phones out there than the iPhone these days.

3. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Apple doesn't need to follow their example. Phones should have good heft and size to them.

4. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Funny. It used to be other companies who followed Apple's example. I remember when the iPhones were thinner than most phones. That stopped with the iPhone 4.

5. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

i want a thiner iphone to be released, we have to show the way and not to follow ..:apple:

6. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

The iPhone is pretty damn thin as is, can't really get much thinner.

7. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

Apple has never shown the way or followed anyone either.

It just creates what it personally thinks is best. Some people like it , some don't.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Am I the only ones who misses the corded phones of my youth? The ones where you could crank your neck and shoulder just a tad and have full use of both your hands (at least, until you walked too far and the cord snaps the phone back and away from you).

9. thenerdal macrumors 65816

I still do that with my house phone. Good times. Great when needing to use the restroom.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It seems you really did take my avatar idea :D. I found a picture of someone using a cat to stabilize their ipad, so that worked too.

11. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Agree!!!!! Maybe if battery tech improves in the future but I would rather have a good battery, camera etc. than a super thin phone. There's a limit, or rather a range, to how big and small phones should be. I like the size of some of the "competitors" phones (Nexus, SII) though, IMO only, the Note is too big. On the other hand-haha-being too small and thin would make a smartphone useless.

----------

Hahaha-yea I remember that as well. :D I still have a corded phone at my desk at work but I only ever use it for calls to colleagues-especially those in another office (my organisation has 3 offices in the same city). Even then I prefer email.

12. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's too heavy that's for sure

13. respider macrumors newbie

If thinner means worse battery life (generally it does), then no.
    iPhone 4/4S thickness is ok.

14. cynics macrumors G4

Might have to do with cost and a variety of other things. The razr maxx is thinner however it has more area. If you subtract the extra area you still have a thinner device with a larger battery.

I think the glass is thicker vs plastic and the iPhones LCD takes up a bit more room etc etc. I think apple could do it but would require a lot to be redesigned.

15. iWantThat macrumors member

Agreed. While I'm used to it now I remember the first time I picked up an iphone 4 in person the first thing I thought was how heavy it was. Even on extended phone calls I find it to be a bit of an annoyance. I don't need the next iPhone to be thinner but lighter, yes.

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Wider and taller is what I'm looking for. If they can make it thinner in the process then so be it, but I'm fine with it the way it is.

17. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

It's the overuse of glass.

18. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Hold an iPod Touch to your ear and feel how awkward that is! I hope the iPhone doesn't get any thinner than it already is.

19. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I live the iPhone the way it is. I'm very careful with all my gadgets and electronics and I don't think I've ever dropped a phone so the all glass design suites me just fine.

I would like a bigger screen (4") but only if it can be done keeping the overall size about the same.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Which, I infer, means that having an cordless phone (portable, cell) allows you to use the bathroom while talking on the phone, should the need occur.

I know I'm old and out of it, but knowing that I am talking to someone while they are taking a crap is not an appealing concept.

But that's just me...:p ;)

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I do find it odd, that Apples addiction to thinner, thinner, thinner, was overruled, in favor of the relatively thick & heavy weight of the glass panels. If this was the competition they'd be getting bashed for how heavy & fragile it is.

Yet I do know why Apple did what the did, they have an even stronger obsession to claim "Firsts" first glass phone, oh my. They've impressed themselves.

One things for sure, now that they trained the public to buy anything with an Apple logo, they can operate consequence free.

22. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I personally don't mind the gorilla glass because when i had a 3G and 3GS the polycarbonate back ended up with scratches on it very easily. The glass on the back of my previous 4 and currently 4S have no scratches.

Its better than those chintzy samsung phones that feel like something made by playskool.

And apple doesn't train people to do anything. People choose to purchase apple products on free will

23. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No. They have an even stronger obsession to style. Oh my, they've impressed just about everyone.

24. Lawyer macrumors newbie

I don't want anything skinnier then the 4S, if it gets smaller I won't be able to hold it, it will simply slide out of my grip!

25. AirThis macrumors 6502a

I'm happy with my current iphone4. The build quality it is excellent and that's what really counts for me. Some of those other phones look like Fischer Price toys.