its the end of apple macs tax????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by couto27, Oct 20, 2009.

1. couto27 macrumors 6502

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Nope, see:
    13" MacBook Pro vs. MacBook
    or
    Mac Pro

3. kshat28 macrumors member

I would have say its true for the iMacs. Those displays have to be extremely expensive.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There's no such thing as Apple tax. The only reason people believe there is is because PCs start at a lower price than Macs do. PCs cost less for a similar processor/memory configuration but skimp out on stuff like audio cards, firewire, graphics, LCD panel (IPS vs TNT), etc. Even those factors aside, Macs still cost less than PCs do.

The Mac Pro is not overpriced. Even if it is, which it's not, I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks more than find/order/assemble a PC that has similar specs. I waste so much time (find online takes really long...) and effort it's not worth $400 bucks (random figure).

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What you said, just is not true.

6. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I agree with you on iMacs, but I can't see how the Mac Pro isn't overpriced. :confused:

7. Disarm macrumors member

I agree because i have put together many PC's in the past. It is rather tedious to find everything you need right when you need it. Sometimes you may need to wait a few weeks because it is on back-order. However, even when you build a PC, you could buy all the top of the line products, but it still does not mean they will work perfectly together. I like buying mac's because it takes the guesswork out of everything, and i know Apple takes care of it's customers. I know they may not always get everything right, but who does? Overall i have been more satisfied with my mac, which is why i am buying a new one very soon.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hardly...
    i build my own pcs and they are muuuuch cheaper and they have better components than apple

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Doesn't the Mac Pro's Xeon chips cost $1700 per processor?

10. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

cheaper has never been disputed.

Design is another story.
    I've been thinking the hackintosh route and have been looking at videos. You see the cables everywhere and anywhere in the case. It's maddening. Look at the insides of a MAC Pro. It's beautiful!

Too bad that hasn't been duplicated by the non-apple manufacturers :p

11. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that there is a massive continent of difference twixt "expensive" and "overpriced".

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and?

im not trying to build a server class system

however, the parts i use are better than what you get with an imac all said and done and for a cheaper overral price

let me know how looking inside your computer goes for you while im busy using mine lol

13. Disarm macrumors member

and?

im not trying to build a server class system

however, the parts i use are better than what you get with an imac all said and done and for a cheaper overral price

Maybe you should just start a business then....

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i built a quad core 8800gt with a 1 tb hdd and 8 gigs of ram 1.5 years ago for 900 dollars that i then put osx on it

do i really need to explain this concept of better parts yet cheaper overall package?

truth can be hard to swallow i know lol

to many people, a computer is a box on the ground as they just use the screen

i for one, prefer performance over design when it comes to my money

15. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

You said you build computers that are "cheaper and they have better components than apple". Go build yourself a workstation that has a better chip than the Intel Xeon's for cheaper than Apple offers it for. Don't go sticking in a consumer i7 in there because it won't be the "better component".

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol im not building a server workstation

i am building a desktop system and yes, they are much cheaper than apples offerings

evidenced why apple still forces you to pay a nice pricetag for core2duos and outdated gpus

17. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Oh, so now they're just "much cheaper" and not built with "better components" like you previously stated.

Apple doesn't compete in the $1500 tower workspace. Go build an all-in-one or workstation that is built with "better components" and see how much it costs you.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and better parts

i bought the top of the line components for my system.

stop trying to make an argument where there is none
    exactly:cool:

i dont want or need an aio when i have invested heavily in displays:rolleyes:

we are talking perfromance and for what you get with th imac, its a premium for yesterdays tech at the expese of having a shiny design

the mini is overpriced for the components it uses but that doenst count i suppose..

19. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

No.

The $2499 base retail model uses a XEON W3520 running at 2.66GHz that costs $284 (bulk pricing) and there’s only one in this model, so $284 total or about 11 percent of purchase price.

The $3299 retail model uses the XEON E5520 running at 2.26Ghz that costs $373 (bulk pricing) individually and there’s two in this model, so $746 total or about 23 percent of purchase price.

The $4699 CTO model uses the XEON X5550 running at 2.66Ghz that costs $958 (bulk pricing) individually and there’s two in this model, so $1916 total or about 41 percent of purchase price.

The $5899 CTO model uses the XEON X5570 running at 2.93Ghz that costs $1386 (bulk pricing) individually and there’s two in this model, so $2772 total or about 47 percent of purchase price. <——— BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK! :D

Apparently the retail models make up for the lower margins on the two CTO models.

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The fact is, I can go to dell.com and get a laptop for $500. This laptop will do everything I need it to do. That is a good investment.

If I go to apple.com, the cheapest I can get a laptop for is $1000. That's twice the price. Opening word documents won't happen any faster and I don't care if I have 50% or 20% of my battery left at the end of the day.

Apple may APPEAR to be competitively priced, but the thing is if you need a word processing machine, the MacBook is $500 too expensive. If you need a gaming machine, you can get a Dell with an ATI 4570 for $800. The cheepest mac with a dedicated graphics card is $2000.

It's still expensive, get over it.

Also, discussing the price of the desktops. I can build a computer that does what I need it to do, using hi quality but inexpensive parts for less than Apple charges. a lot less. It may not have a server-class processor, but who cares? I certainly don't, not when I can get a quad-core desktop system for under $600 ($800 if you include Windows, I got my legal copy free from Uni)

You do realize that Apple uses the same sound card, firewire card, graphics card, and (in some cases) screens as Dell or HP, right?

21. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

next time you want to add an internal hard drive, the person with a mac pro will be enjoying USING his computer, while you're still trying to figure out does the cable go this way or that!

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... and negative $500 and 15 minutes later, dukebound will be happier.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol implying its hard to add new hdds? where have i been?

15 min? heck, i can add a new one now in about a min:p

i mean i already have the sata cables hooked up (which that too is easy to do) so now i just drp the drive in the bay

24. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Just because you can't get any use of a computer over $500, doesn't mean
    Macs are overpriced. Maybe they're expensive considering what you use your computer for, but they're not overpriced. Sure, you can go around saying BMWs are 'overpriced', but you get what you pay for.

25. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Of course you can. By the same token though, HP Dell and Toshiba are all horribly over priced compared to a self-built PC. You can't realistically compare a home made computer to a preassembled one.

Its like saying cooking meals at home is better than eating out because its cheaper and healthier. That may be true, but its not a valid argument while comparing Fine Dining to McDonalds...