it's the end of the year, where's our boot camp update to support windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maccurious, Dec 30, 2009.

1. maccurious macrumors newbie

i thought apple said they would release an update Before the end of the year.well? where is it? could they be that literal? like release it tomorrow night?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Calendar? Operating? Fiscal? Apple has many definitions for year to suit them. (It'll probably be late.)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah so? they promised and looks like they blew the deadline. Like that never happened before. It will be released when apple releases it, not use in asking a question that cannot be answered by us.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

People will promise you things and not deliver - that's life. I'm not sure a Windows 7 Bootcamp driver is at the top of Apple's priorities. It will come...eventually.

5. durija macrumors 6502

I'm running W7 in Bootcamp and with Fusion, having no significant issues so far. What kind of problems are people experiencing?

6. cube macrumors G5

Well, 10.6.3 apparently has entered the beta stage.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Windows 7 drivers for Bootcamp are not a priority for Apple and they shouldn't be anyway. They need to put more attention to Snow Leopard. Windows isn't an integral part of the Mac so drivers for it can wait.

8. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

dude im running snow leopard and windows 7 just fine, well i had windows vista already install on the boot camp partition, and all i did was insert the disk and upgraded. well another thing u can try if boot camp isnt working is go to disk utility, go to ur hard drive, (not macintosh hd), under the partition tab go to the macintosh hd partition. drag those 3 lines upwards, to as many gbs of windows space u want. click the + button, name the partition BOOTCAMP, and click apply. insert your windows 7 disk and reboot, boot off the disk, and install on the BOOTCAMP partition.

9. stufisch macrumors newbie

Typical Apple Silence

I don't mind the fact that BootCamp 3.0 is not here ...

What I *mind* is that Apple STATED it would be here before the end of the year ... and Apple has not issued an update.

Apple COULD have stated, "We're working on it. If it's not out by the end of 2009, we'll update you with our progress at that time ..."

We all know things get delayed ... after 30 years of this crap, I expect companies to FOLLOWUP on their promises, if they are unable to deliver. OTHERWISE, I begin to think they'll promise anything if it'll get my money, and they don't give a s*** about how I feel about them.

GENERALLY, Apple has outstanding service.

Bootcamp 3.0 is a breakdown ...

10. Urban Splash macrumors member

Mate,

You are wasting your time questioning Apple here.....

So many jump to their defence, blinkered as usual. Makes a reasoned argument impossible.

I for one, do feel rather let down that Apple have failed to deliver (how dare he!!!) I have Windows 7 running on MacBook Pro, however, red light is still on in headphone port and touchpad is far too sensitive. Oh and the sound is screwed. So it's not perfect.... I had to use hacked drivers to get Magic Mouse to work.

11. Dynamooo macrumors newbie

I would like proper fan support so I can get back to cooking on my oven.

Maybe then the batterylife might have a chance in windows, and maybe once our warranties end we wont have a mass failure of graphics cards....

12. Urban Splash macrumors member

Ah yes........forgot about that. Nearly burst into flames when running APB beta.

13. Dynamooo macrumors newbie

I think the best thing to do is to make some noise about this in as many places as possible, including apples forums.

Its a quite simple philosophy, I think that using the term support covers appropriate cooling control, preventing damage to the hardware.

Lets see how this develops, I think if it isn't resolved I will have to get another machine, I do too much 3D work and GPU heat the the problem here.

I will keep praying :)

14. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Apple still has another day 'till the end of the year, however I think if they don't release a Bootcamp update a fair few articles will be posted, which hopefully will stir up some dust

15. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Agreed. WHatever happened to common courtesy?

16. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Where exactly is the problem ?
    Running Win7 x64 here with the Bootcamp stuff from the SL retail disc and everything works...

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have an issue with the system bluescreening because I access my network hard drive on the AEBS. That only happens in Windows 7, not sure if that's really an OS problem or drivers but none of my other PCs have that issue... so it must be the drivers.

18. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

19. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Im running 64bit windows 7 bootcamp perfect on my classic macbook unibody.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was able to load and run both the 32bit and the 64bit flavors of win7 on my unibody MBP as well. I had zero problems with the bootcamp drivers.

21. fud122 macrumors member

It would be nice if Apple can include software to disable the 9600gt card and use the integrated, 9400m, instead. The insane heat is the only issue I have with Bootcamp. Oh, and the fact I can't turn off the keyboard lighting too.

22. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before

the end of the year...

is this ever going to happen?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920

23. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

The keyboard thing is pretty annoying. It's not hard to take it to the minimum, but the fact that it's still on when it should be off is annoying.

24. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Unless they release an update within the next twelve hours, no.

And I don't particularly care if they do, I'm already running Win7 64-bit on my 2006 Mac Pro with excellent results.

25. ruskiwi macrumors member

Yes, but running it on what? It works fine on my old MBP, but tried it on a new 21" iMac and had trouble with graphics, sound, keyboard... so obviously it depends on how new your Mac is.