It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 11, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/its-time-let-felons-vote-holder-says-n26906

seriously?

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Why not? Dems would like to let Illegals vote too.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I can almost taste the sarcasm :D

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Iv’e never seen that proposed anywhere - especially since Obama has deported more illegals than Bush did.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. dec. Suspended

dec.

Why not, it's common practice in many civilized countries. It's not like throwing someone into prison justifies that person being stripped of all basic rights?

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

OP, You are citing a year an a half old article there - and it doesn’t actually talk about any proposal to allow for illegals to vote (which right now they can’t and there is no evidence that they are doing so in any real numbers). I also argue that that Obama’s rate of deportation is larger than Bushes. I never stated in History, but i bet that by this point, Obama has deported more than 2 million people.

However your link is pretty out of date.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

first link I found, but thanks.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to have a vote. People do different things to get into jail, not everyone is a rapist or murderer.

11. pdjudd macrumors 601

Not to mention that they have served their time. We really shouldn’t be simply contenting to treat them like they are still in jail. If they served their time and are no longer a threat and are a productive member of society they should be able to vote. Felons already face major stigmas against them already.

12. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Why shouldn't Rapists and Murders be allowed to vote?

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I see the side that says felons should not be able to vote assume all felons are murderers or rapists. Never stated that they shouldn't be able to vote.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

as I read your gun thread....should they be allowed to own guns as well?

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Because they committed a cruel and irreparable act against another human being.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've never really gotten why we let people out of jail if we still think they are a threat to society. It seems more logical that if we let them out it is because they are deemed to no longer be a threat and they should get all their rights back so they can be a normal fully functioning member of society and not have to go back to crime to get by.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Wow, this thread started out bad, then went real downhill real fast.

I'm disappointed in all of you. Completely. Totally. All encompassingly. Disappointed. FOR SHAME! :mad:

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

What exactly are they missing out on by not being able to vote?

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says

Felons lost the privilege to vote when they committed the felony. Very simple. Cause and effect.

Sorry Dems, look somewhere else for a place to buy votes.

20. pdjudd, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

pdjudd macrumors 601

Seems to me that it would also benefit Republicans since I am willing to bet that people who go to prison do not unilaterally vote for one party and do not share the same ideological beliefs.

I agree. Criminals who have served their time already face huge social stigmas that make recovering from problems like convictions (things that they have done years ago and have learned from their mistakes). It’s worse when we also tend to lock up people who are poor. What good is it if these people are treated like social outcasts for the rest of their lives.

I agree that once Law enforcement is done with them and they can show themselves that they are productive members of society that they should be re-granted rights. They lost their freedom once and once they get that back, they should be given their freedoms back. That also goes for getting gun permits too. Although we should be more cautious about giving felons their gun rights back (say they have to go through a more though review check or face additional barriers and it would only be allowed for non violent felon convictions). Voting is something that I don’t see a reason to get them back on the roles as soon as they get out. Weather one is a felon or not shouldn’t have any bearing on their political beliefs or expressions so long as it wasn’t a voter fraud issue (which I don’t even think is a felony). What harm is there?

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Holder is a democrat advocating for the right to vote by felons. You don't believe this stance could be perceived as trying to gain that segment of voters?

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If they are going to get their rights back , should that include the right to bear arms? Or only the ideological belief you deem fit?

23. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well actually I think it would skew towards democrats, just because of the absurdly disproportionate minority incarceration rates. Which of course is primarily due to what I like to call the Second Prohibition Era.

24. pdjudd, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

pdjudd macrumors 601

See above. I added it in there after the fact. So long as the felony was not related to using a weapon or it wasn’t a violent felony (in other words, if there is no reason to believe that they would abuse their usage of a gun, why not? Just because you got a felony, doesn’t mean that you are a violent person and not capable of using a gun safely and responsibility.

The only real loss of rights that one should face (with a few noted exceptions) by being a felon is the loss of freedom that you have when you are either in prison behind bars or on parole (your freedoms are restricted there).

Unless you can show me a cite that says that they (felons) are disproportionally Democratic, the fact that they are minorities is irrelevant. The only real reason that voting minorities tend to sway blue is that Republicans are having a tough time appealing to them.

ETA: Their goal is to get more and more people out there voting in general. If a felon is a Republican, I don’t see how them gaining additional voting rights is going to benefit Dems. At best, they are looking to get swing voters who might see an appeal to a party that doesn’t see them as someone to be stigmatized like they already tend to be treated. Really they are trying to appeal to the human rights vote which probably included more non felons than felons.

In comparison, Democrats tend to be favoring gay rights. However it’s not because primarily interested in catering to gay voters (they are too much of a minority) its that they are favoring policies that are human rights centric which is something that has broad appeal everywhere. They aren’t trying to convert Republican gays at all.

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You owe out on having any say in your government. Plus I was also thinking about all the other rights they lose and social stigma they get from having to say that they are a convicted felon at any job they apply for.