It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/its-time-let-felons-vote-holder-says-n26906

Attorney General Eric Holder is calling for an end to state laws that bar felons from voting, even after they have served their sentences.

"By perpetuating the stigma and isolation imposed on formerly incarcerated individuals, these laws increase the likelihood they will commit future crimes," Holder said Tuesday at a Washington, D.C., symposium on sentencing laws.

Holder said the restrictions bar 5.8 million Americans from casting a ballot, including 2.2 million African-Americans.

"Nearly one in 13 African-American adults are banned from voting because of these laws. In three states -- Florida, Kentucky, and Virginia -- that ratio climbs to one in five," he said.

Holder called the laws a vestige of post-Civil War racial discrimination, with a disproportionately high impact on minority communities.
seriously?

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Why not, it's common practice in many civilized countries. It's not like throwing someone into prison justifies that person being stripped of all basic rights?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
OP, You are citing a year an a half old article there - and it doesn’t actually talk about any proposal to allow for illegals to vote (which right now they can’t and there is no evidence that they are doing so in any real numbers). I also argue that that Obama’s rate of deportation is larger than Bushes. I never stated in History, but i bet that by this point, Obama has deported more than 2 million people.

However your link is pretty out of date.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
OP, You are citing a year an a half old article there - and it doesn’t actually talk about any proposal to allow for illegals to vote (which right now they can’t and there is no evidence that they are doing so in any real numbers). I also argue that that Obama’s rate of deportation is larger than Bushes. I never stated in History, but i bet that by this point, Obama has deported more than 2 million people.

However your link is pretty out of date.
first link I found, but thanks.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I don't see why they wouldn't be able to have a vote. People do different things to get into jail, not everyone is a rapist or murderer.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Not to mention that they have served their time. We really shouldn’t be simply contenting to treat them like they are still in jail. If they served their time and are no longer a threat and are a productive member of society they should be able to vote. Felons already face major stigmas against them already.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Not to mention that they have served their time. We really shouldn’t be simply contenting to treat them like they are still in jail. If they served their time and are no longer a threat and are a productive member of society they should be able to vote. Felons already face major stigmas against them already.
I've never really gotten why we let people out of jail if we still think they are a threat to society. It seems more logical that if we let them out it is because they are deemed to no longer be a threat and they should get all their rights back so they can be a normal fully functioning member of society and not have to go back to crime to get by.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I've never really gotten why we let people out of jail if we still think they are a threat to society. It seems more logical that if we let them out it is because they are deemed to no longer be a threat and they should get all their rights back so they can be a normal fully functioning member of society and not have to go back to crime to get by.
What exactly are they missing out on by not being able to vote?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says

Felons lost the privilege to vote when they committed the felony. Very simple. Cause and effect.

Sorry Dems, look somewhere else for a place to buy votes.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Felons lost the privilege to vote when they committed the felony. Very simple. Cause and effect.

Sorry Dems, look somewhere else for a place to buy votes.
Seems to me that it would also benefit Republicans since I am willing to bet that people who go to prison do not unilaterally vote for one party and do not share the same ideological beliefs.

I agree. Criminals who have served their time already face huge social stigmas that make recovering from problems like convictions (things that they have done years ago and have learned from their mistakes). It’s worse when we also tend to lock up people who are poor. What good is it if these people are treated like social outcasts for the rest of their lives.

I agree that once Law enforcement is done with them and they can show themselves that they are productive members of society that they should be re-granted rights. They lost their freedom once and once they get that back, they should be given their freedoms back. That also goes for getting gun permits too. Although we should be more cautious about giving felons their gun rights back (say they have to go through a more though review check or face additional barriers and it would only be allowed for non violent felon convictions). Voting is something that I don’t see a reason to get them back on the roles as soon as they get out. Weather one is a felon or not shouldn’t have any bearing on their political beliefs or expressions so long as it wasn’t a voter fraud issue (which I don’t even think is a felony). What harm is there?

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Seems to me that it would also benefit Republicans since I am willing to bet that people who go to prison do not unilaterally vote for one party and do not share the same ideological beliefs.
Holder is a democrat advocating for the right to vote by felons. You don't believe this stance could be perceived as trying to gain that segment of voters?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
If they are going to get their rights back , should that include the right to bear arms? Or only the ideological belief you deem fit?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Well actually I think it would skew towards democrats, just because of the absurdly disproportionate minority incarceration rates. Which of course is primarily due to what I like to call the Second Prohibition Era.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
If they are going to get their rights back , should that include the right to bear arms? Or only the ideological belief you deem fit?
See above. I added it in there after the fact. So long as the felony was not related to using a weapon or it wasn’t a violent felony (in other words, if there is no reason to believe that they would abuse their usage of a gun, why not? Just because you got a felony, doesn’t mean that you are a violent person and not capable of using a gun safely and responsibility.

The only real loss of rights that one should face (with a few noted exceptions) by being a felon is the loss of freedom that you have when you are either in prison behind bars or on parole (your freedoms are restricted there).

Well actually I think it would skew towards democrats, just because of the absurdly disproportionate minority incarceration rates.
Unless you can show me a cite that says that they (felons) are disproportionally Democratic, the fact that they are minorities is irrelevant. The only real reason that voting minorities tend to sway blue is that Republicans are having a tough time appealing to them.

ETA: Their goal is to get more and more people out there voting in general. If a felon is a Republican, I don’t see how them gaining additional voting rights is going to benefit Dems. At best, they are looking to get swing voters who might see an appeal to a party that doesn’t see them as someone to be stigmatized like they already tend to be treated. Really they are trying to appeal to the human rights vote which probably included more non felons than felons.

In comparison, Democrats tend to be favoring gay rights. However it’s not because primarily interested in catering to gay voters (they are too much of a minority) its that they are favoring policies that are human rights centric which is something that has broad appeal everywhere. They aren’t trying to convert Republican gays at all.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
What exactly are they missing out on by not being able to vote?
You owe out on having any say in your government. Plus I was also thinking about all the other rights they lose and social stigma they get from having to say that they are a convicted felon at any job they apply for.