Its too hard i cant decide and my friend works at the apple store!! so i get a discou

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SMkdesigns, Oct 12, 2007.

1. SMkdesigns macrumors regular

Ok i am 19 years of age! i attend college i am at my girlfriends house every day or usually at home or school! I use to have an alienware desktop which i sold to get a alienware laptop all bad ideas i know i know! But i am going to be using final cut express and photo editing apature and some gaming!

My choices are buying a new 20 inch imac with 2.4gz and the 256 video card memory and the 320 hardrive and such

Or the base line macbook pro with 2.2 intel core 2 duo and the 128 nvida gforce card with a 120gb hardrive! which cost like 300 more dollars for the laptop!

I know to alot of you out there this probablly is not that big of a deal but to me it is huge! i cant decide! I LOVE LOVE the imac big screen and i love the keyboard and mouse!

But how much am i home! I will only do gaming at home! Honestly the only intense gaming or graphics i do will be at home but i would also love to have the portabilty of a laptop that is powerful! I cnt afford to buy a laptop and then and a monitor right away so that card is out!

I just dont know what to do

2. dooker777 macrumors member

Get a MBP, a good case (Brenthaven or similar), and apple care. It should last you through college.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

save your money and pay for tuition and take english 101 :p

get the mbp. laptops are a must for a student.

4. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Hmm!

5. seany916 macrumors 6502

For your particular set of needs, stick with PC.

For gaming, you notebook better be damn fast. Cheaper to have a dedicated gaming computer at home. Given it's faster CPUs, you could run your editing, number crunching, CPU taxing programs on it. If you can afford it, get a crappy, low end notebook for taking notes in class and wireless internet.

Running 2 platforms can be something of a pain because you start to like one more than the other after a while. MBP is okay for your needs, but it is pretty pricey.

think it through before you drop the money

6. tehdee macrumors member

get the imac and then buy a used first gen mb or an old 12" pb for lugging around.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The iMac is a good casual gaming machine but not suited to intense gaming. I know, I have 2. If you can deal with less intense gaming, the iMac can handle that but seeing as you are on a tight budget a gaming PC would be a more effective solution. A decent one comparable to the iMac can be built for less than $1000. You would have enough left over to get a refurb MacBook or cheap PC laptop for school work.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given your stated needs, I'd recommend the MBP.