It's Tough To Be A Liberal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm getting ready to burn my liberal card. Its used to be easy to be a liberal and to defend other liberals but lately.....I don't know. As much as someone like Trump saying "I'm just not politically correct" still makes me crazy, (No, it's not that he's not PC, he's just a dick.) PC culture is going way too far for me to take anymore. Here's two silly examples:

The kids from the great netflix series, Stranger Things, handed out PB&J sandwiches during the emmys. The host joked that people with allergies should be careful because we can only afford one epipen. This is clearly a joke about the company that makes epipens and how they just jacked up the price. So...

"After the broadcast, Adam Bailine - VP of Marketing and Communications at the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America - spoke to Munchies about the incident, saying: “We received complaints and concerns regarding the broadcast. This is very much on our radar… It is extremely risky to pull a stunt like this without considering the danger.”"

Yup, handing out peanut butter in a room full of adults is dangerous now!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...t-butter-sandwiches-to-nominees-a7320291.html

or this:

This article is about how a comedian delivered "an epic smackdown of leftist protesters." Well, first off, he didn't, he was the least articulate of the bunch. But I watched the entire video, the second one on the page, and listened as the conservative panel tried to speak but kept getting interrupted by lefties screaming racist, homophobe, etc etc etc, at the panel. It was painful to watch

http://louderwithcrowder.com/crowde...owns-of-leftist-protestors-ever/#.V-VMkVsrJlZ

These are the true snowflakes (a word already ruined by some conservatives on this forum already), we think that college and the world should be a safe space from anyone who thinks differently. Isn't that supposed to be the entire point of liberalism? To accept those who are different, even if you don't agree with them?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

You are a Baby Boomer?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seriously conservatives are just as bad. The upset over Christianity being "under attack" is ridiculous.

And plenty of Conservatives councils in the UK support comedy low speed limits for example.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Personally, aligning yourself with any particular label that is supposed to fully encompass your views is just signing up to be thrown in with the crowd, regardless of what that ideology is.

I've laughed in people's faces as they sarcastically ask if I'm "a patriot" as if that term is supposed to mean anything.

6. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't think so, I'm 46.

Totally agree. Fox News will be starting their annual, made up war on Christmas coverage soon.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I dunno do you cheat. :D

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

The War on Christmas is my favorite time of the year! :D

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to here (phrasing isn't parsing in my sleep deprived brain).

Do I cheat...what exactly?

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You work for ESPN, how do you not know this. :p

New England Patriots, cheating. Tiny deflated balls.

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Nope You're a Gen X'er

There, fixed it for you.

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Are you seriously complaining that a medical association was reluctant that people were giving peanut butter to people who may or may not be allergic? What is PC about it? Being medically safe than sorry is being PC? LMAO ok. Sure the adults can make their own judgements, but lamenting he statement of an asthma preventing association is dumb.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2016 ---
    He didn't deflate anything. The pressures were well within range dictated by the ideal gas law.

13. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

No, I'm saying that adults would know that they are allergic and wouldn't take a sandwich or if they are so allergic that they can't even be by someone who is eating peanuts they would move. Do they expect no one to eat candy with peanuts in the movie theater when they go out? I'm saying calling this a dangerous stunt is ridiculous.

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

The asthma and ALLERGY agency of course will call it dangerous and be hesitant. That its job. Bad example of PC culture.

There are plenty of other examples where it's gone a little too far. But this just isn't one

15. Herdfan macrumors 6502

It has gone way to far for a while.

I have seen the Trailer for this movie, but haven't seen it yet. But I am going to:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/can-we-take-a-joke-2016

Will comedians be the last stand against overt PC? Or will they be forced to rein it in as well?

True story and if PC had been in place, I may not have met my wife. I started losing my hair in college. It happened, so I dealt with it. I was out with some friends at a comedy club and Brad Garrett (from Everybody Love's Raymond). It just so happens our group got seated in the front row beside a group of women. Well being a bald guy in the front row at a comedy show is never going to be a good thing. He wasn't on stage for a minute before he made a bald joke. I took it in stride and laughed as it was funny. He threw in a couple more as the evening went on. No big deal.

So after the show our group started talking to the girls group and we all decided to go to another bar. So I started talking to this one girl who asked me if it embarrassed me. I told her no and that all I have done was remove the mystery of when my hair would fall out so any future wife would already know. She took my handling of his harassment as a sign of confidence. We were married in less than a year and have been for over 20. Had PC been prevalent and he had not been able to pick on the bald guy, I might never have met my wife.

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Wow you married in less than a year? Cute story though

I don't think comedians will be "reigned in"

17. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm looking forward to that movie, too. Already put it on my netflix queue. But good point in bringing up comedians. I love comics who "cross the line". I never liked the easy, safe comedy of people like Jay Leno. For a while though, whenever a comedian complained about someone posting that their rape joke went too far or whatever, I would always think, too bad. You have the right to make any joke you want but people have the right to criticize you, as well. Don't like it, stay off twitter. But then that went to far, too. Comedians have been banned from colleges because some people don't like their act. JERRY FREAKIN SEINFELD got flak for a joke he did. JERRY SEINFELD!!!! Now, comedians don't even bother trying to get booked at colleges. Fine for someone who doesn't need the gig, but some do, and they are banned because the college kids can't handle the "edgy" bits.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Why is this a liberal thing? I know plenty of Republicans that get bent out of shape with things like this and are overly PC

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Ya. Seinfeld is my favorite show of all time so to see collegespushing him away was mind boggling. I think jokes should have no limits.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh, you confuse me with a person who works at ESPN who cares at all what's going on in the sports world. :p

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

So many people in this forum get so offended if you insult dear orangutan

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

There are fundamentalist pc's and fundamentalist people like Donald trump. But those people don't represent most people.

23. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

(pardon the ****-tacular video quality ... :D)

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There's a difference between Donald Trump PC (I just want to be an ******* and insult everyone I can) and the ridiculousness of **** like microagressions and the like.

PC means have respect. It has been taken too far.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Did they know this when they hired you. :D