ITT: We post pics of Phones & MP3 Players That Look Sexier Than The iPhone/iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Apr 21, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed the new iPhone still has so much wasted space above and below the screen, that could have been used to implement a longer/bigger screen instead (less wasted real estate).

When the iPhone/iPod Touch first came out, it was the best looking smart phone/touch based mp3 player, with the best looking interface on the market. Unfortunately, I no longer believe that to be the case.

Am I alone in thinking that as far as looks are concerned, each iPhone revision looked worse than the last, while the competitors have consistently made their phones look better and better, and their screens look bigger and bigger with less and less wasted real estate on the front :(

[​IMG]

I've held the Zune HD and the HTC phones with thin bezels in landscape mode plenty of times.

It's not difficult to hold the Zune or the HTC phones in landscape mode. It wouldn't be difficult for the iPhone either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.coolhunting.com/images/HTC-Touch-Diamond-6-View.jpg

I still think the Zune HD is the best looking mobile device on the market today...

[​IMG]

And I certainly still don't understand why the black bars above and below the screen on the iPhone need to be so large, the screen could instead be longer. The home button could be made smaller or slimmer. The speakers could be shifted upwards.

Something akin to this (but thicker, I just want a bigger screen with less wasted real estate on the front of the next iPhone, I don't mind the new iPhone's thickness)...

[​IMG]

I definately don't understand why it seems like Apple took a step backwards in terms of aesthetics with the new iPhone (and didn't atleast waste less space on the phone's front).

There was never a laptop that looks sexier than the Macbook Pros. As competitors updated their designs, Apple improved their designs as well so that they always stayed ahead of the competition.

There was never an mp3 player that looked sexier than the iPods. As competitors updated their designs, Apple improved their designs as well so that they always stayed ahead of the competition.

There was no smartphone that looked sexier than the iPhone when the iPhone first came out. But Apple has allowed competitors to eclipse Apple's iPhone (and iPod Touch) in this area.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I disagree.
    I like the 3G and 3GS design better than the 2G.
    The leaked iPhone 4 pics look good to me. Im more interested in the features, new hardware and the iPhone OS more than the outside cellphone shell. Even though there will always be some other cellphones that will look sexier or more exotic than the iphone thats not the reason to get one.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

i played with a Zune at Best Buy for a bit. I must say, the UI was pretty slick, though I did end up putting it down when I couldn't figure out how to do something ridiculously simple that a 3 year old kid could do on an iPhone...I don't remember what it was.

But one things for sure, in my book, hardware wise, the Zune is hideous. It looks like this guy from Logan's Run pooped it out.

[​IMG]

As far as those other phones you posted, all I see is a bunch of hyper busy Pocket PC style home screens on "we can do iPhone too" hardware.

4. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I agree with you that hardware improvements are more important than aesthetics and I'm pleased that Apple kept up in this regard. But design still matters.

There was never a laptop that looks sexier than the Macbook Pros. As competitors updated their designs, Apple improved their designs as well so that they always stayed ahead of the competition.

There was never an mp3 player that looked sexier than the iPods. As competitors updated their designs, Apple improved their designs as well so that they always stayed ahead of the competition.

There was no smartphone that looked sexier than the iPhone when the iPhone first came out. But Apple has allowed competitors to eclipse Apple's iPhone (and iPod Touch) in this area.

5. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

That last HTC phone is ugly.

Apple likes simplicity.

I will say the Zune HD looks nice.

I like the 4g more than the 3gs (now), but I still Like the design of the original phone the most. It looks like a mini macbook pro to me.

One thing apple can do is give the OS itself a face lift. The gray vertical bars in the settings and throughout the OS are getting very old.

I will say also, the iPhone os is by far the easiest to get around and to find what you want fast. I used the nexius for a few days, It never felt fluid and connected.

Overall I'm still going with the iPhone, because I'm used to it, its my work horse, its connected with my itunes, apps, email, and contacts in a way I want.

Even if the iPhone does not look the best to me, I still want it the most. :apple:

6. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I agree with you that the very last HTC phone pic I posted looked ugly, so I deleted that phone from the opening post.

I think all the phones in the current OP look better than the iPhone in terms of outer aesthetics.

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I disagree, I love how the iPhone looks.

8. tnisatard macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

this phone is beautiful to me, however the specs arent the best compared to phones coming out right now

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And thats why we have options.
    Beautifull to some might be ugly as hell to others :D

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It should be beautiful; it's a bent iPhone.

11. corriewf macrumors 6502a

WTH is omnimo UI or whatever?

I wish that Iphone concept pic was the new Iphone coming out. That thang is sweet! I need something large as im trying to compensate for something else if you know what im saying. High five fellas? fellas? fellas??? *crickets*

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO :D

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    That Dell Lightning in the first post (the black WP7 phone just above the HD2) with the vertical slider keyboard looks nice to me.

Dell is also bringing out some Android phones, some made out of curved glass, with and without keyboards. One is the Thunder below with 4.1" screen, Flash 10.1 and a Hulu app:

[​IMG]

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

They look nice, but my big requirement these days is a glass screen surface. I'm assuming all these phones have them, in which case, hurray. Otherwise, bleah.

edit: Did a little research. Looks like most of the newer models do indeed use glass. Spiff. The days of pocket-sanded plastic candybar phones are at an end!

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I like the Zune HD as well. Microsoft took a different direction, design-wise, than the smartphone market. It looks industrial, which I like. Android devices, mostly, look the same - which makes them look common and run-of-the-mill to me.

I don't know about you all, but I think the Blackberry flip model is the best looking thing in the whole wide world. :D

16. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I Don't want a phone that looks and act's like a Dalek. I want one that's going to be a jack of all trades like the Tardis! Sorry for the doctor who reference :D

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The Zune and that fake skinny iPhone are the only 2 phones in this whole thread that don't deserve the term 'ugly.'

So, really, that's only 1 real device, and it isn't even a phone. So I don't think I agree with your premise that other phones look better than the iPhone.

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

No accounting for taste, I suppose.

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've seen this thing posted around these forums for a long time now and I still can't find what's so appealing about it. Am I the only one that thinks the home button looks incredibly cheap? It's also way too thin IMO. I know a lot of people like that, though.

As was mentioned earlier, the OS is the reason I buy the iPhone. Sure, I'd like it to look nice but I'll be getting the next one because of the OS and the the apps into which I've put my hard earned dollars.

20. willtj macrumors newbie

is it just me or do people seem to think apple are magic? yes the screen could be extended to the top more, but what about what's in that area already? where would that move to?

Yes it could be thinnner but how would they make everything thinner whilst keeping costs down?

Put it this way for the same sort of costs:
    bigger screen == smaller battery
    bigger camera == smaller screen
    thinner phone == smaller battery & smaller camera.
    stronger aluminium case == thinner phone == no reception
    thinner phone == more heat == slower processor

sure the htc hd whatever it is has a bigger screen but its a wider phone so there is more space for the electronics.

sure the zune hd looks better but its not a phone!

Its all about compromises

21. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Screens themselves are really thin nowadays, thinner than the plastic shell of the iPhone. So just because the screen is made longer with less wasted space on the front doesn't mean Apple would have to move anything. Well, they will have to move the speaker and the home button, but I doubt they would have to move anything else.

I don't understand why you think a bigger camera lens (to capture and let in more light to take better quality pictures) would neccesitate a smaller screen. That doesn't make much sense.

I don't really mind how thick the new iPhone is. I don't really want apple to make the new iPhone any thinner.

I just dislike all the wasted space above and below the iPhone's screen. I think that's the case with a lot of people.

I'm pretty disappointed the new iPhone still those big black bars above and below the screen, that could have been used to implement a longer/bigger screen instead (less wasted real estate).

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Guess you've never held the phone in landscape mode to play a full screen game. The space is there for a reason.

23. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Yes I have. And I have also held the Zune HD and the HTC phones with thin bezels in landscape mode as well.

It's not difficult to hold the Zune or the HTC phones in landscape mode. Why it be difficult for the iPhone?

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

About the only change I would make to the iPhone is colors. I would love to have the option for a blue or red one when I have to get one in a few years. It's not a huge deal since I put a case on mine, but if the front was colored it would be a nice for a choice.