itunes 10.5.2 - any reason NOT to update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eager Beaver, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Been getting a pop-up for a little while about itunes 10.5.2 being available -

The last update shut out all old iphone restores, wouldn't recognize the older firmwares and the 3g only supports as high as 4.2.1, (so ALL of my old restores are now worthless)

Are there any reasons to download it, or NOT download it?
    thanks

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Typically, if you don't have the latest iTunes version, you cannot update your iOS version when they come out.

3. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Thanks, I just found that out yesterday morning.
    I wanted to update to 5.0.1 (afraid the window might close), but was unable to.
    I updated to the Latest version of i-tunes, but afterwards decided then to stay on 5.0.

Half the peeps are saying to go to 5.0.1, the other half says stay on 5.0 - confusing :eek:

4. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

Whats the beef of 5.0 vs 5.0.1.

I'm using 5.0.1 and I'm happy, just curious.

5. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I always stay up to date. If there are ever serious problems id imAgine they'd be addressed soon

6. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

It's all about which version will become jailbroken, and which version apple will close the jail break.
    When Apple comes out with 5.0.2, there will be an extremely short window before 5.0.1 is no longer available.
    A true Cat & Mouse game it is -

7. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

Ahhh. Jeez, I don't like that game :) I doubt I'll ever jailbreak......too nervous about issues it causes or can cause. I just like my phone to work.

I thought it was debate on actual function.

8. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

The only nervousness one gets is the thought of losing JB with apple updates -
    As far as being nervous about ur phone, u can always simply plug it in and restore it.

That's the biggest fear non JB have, but it's a false fear.
    They believe it's like using Permanent Marker to change the color of their white iphone, and they are stuck with it forever.
    They do not realize that to unJB a phone, all they gotta do is plug into itunes and restore.

If the majority of nonJB knew this, many of them would JB the first chance they get, (like us in the JB community)