iTunes 10 deleted my library. Did Time Machine backup prior to iTunes 10. What to do?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by felixen, Sep 7, 2010.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I just updated my iTunes but it appears it deleted my library. This sucks because I have spent HOURS upon HOURS sorting it, renaming crooked song titles, finding covers and all that stuff. I used time machine to back up my computer like 5 days ago, but I can't figure out how to use it. I wish I could just select that given day (when I made my last backup) and make it turn everything back to what it was back then.

How do I do this exactly? I don't care at all if I have to go back to the old iTunes (obviously they will fix this eventually!) - I just want it to look like it did a few days ago.

So can't I use the time machine backup as a complete image and just load it and have it all fixed? That's how the backup in Windows works. I don't care at all for iTunes 10, I just want my stuff back.

And btw I tried adding the files again. Many changes I had made to many songs have not been saved into the file.

Please help!

Thanks

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

It's highly unlikely that your songs are gone just by performing an update on iTunes.

Really the only way to delete something on the Mac is for you to have done it.

I would suggest looking in your User/Music/ folder and seeing if your songs and itunes library file are there.

If you see anything that might look like a previous library you can hold the option key (mac) or alt key (pc) when starting itunes to manually choosing a library file to open.

If you don't see the library file, there's then the option to just drag your itunes media folder into itunes app and let it re-import everything.

3. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got it, thanks man. Wasnt thinking straight these day, but eventually I located the iTunes folder and everything was there :) just had to drag it into iTunes 10 again