Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
I have kept iTunes 12.6.3.6 to enable me to manage and sync my Apps from my iMac . After install of IOS 13 beta, iTunes does not see my iPad Pro connected at all.

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
Just installed iTunes 12.6.5 and it now works, Thanks

Update, Just updated some apps but noted that in iTunes Home screens there is still only a 5x4 matrix of icons visible instead of a 6x5 You can just see the very top of the icons in the next row.

Last edited:

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
Sure.
home_scr.jpg iPad_Pro.jpg

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I see, thanks. I still don’t get what you mean by iTunes home screens. Never mind.
iPadOS increased the icon density for iPads so you can fit more apps on a given screen. The old version of iTunes does not properly recognize that.

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
iPadOS increased the icon density for iPads so you can fit more apps on a given screen. The old version of iTunes does not properly recognize that.
Yes I know that about the increased icon density, but i didn´t understand your first screenshot was from iTunes app management pages. Anyway, it does not bother me in the least as long as I can use iOS13 with iTunes 12.6.5.3 on Mojave ( not going over to Catalia)

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I have kept iTunes 12.6.3.6 to enable me to manage and sync my Apps from my iMac . After install of IOS 13 beta, iTunes does not see my iPad Pro connected at all.

I noticed this as well. I wanted to manage my iTunes library centralized from my Mac but you can't. iTunes reports "iCloud Music Library is On" [enabled on your phone]. If you google how to turn it off, it points to an option under Settings.. Music ... iCloud Music Library which IS NOT PRESENT UNDER iOS 13. So it seems at present, you can't transfer your own music library to your phone without subscribing to iTunes Match, or Apple Music. Both of which are paid subs.

I wonder if they're trying to pigeon hole people into a subscription by doing this.

ios-icloud-music-library-reload-screens-1.jpg

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
It works fine for me. I have iTunes 12.6.5.3 running on High Sierra 10.13.6 For Music settings I have Show all purchases ON (Green) and all other sliders off. I have an iPhone SE running the release version of IOS 13.1

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
Update, When I updated my 9.7inch iPad Pro then I tried to update my Apps I get this message which I just canceled. However my iPad Pro still syncs fine. No exactly sure what it is trying to install. Same happens with my iPhone SE. Never happened when I was running IOS 13.1 Beta.

This is from Apple support pages:-

"If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has a newer version of iOS than is supported by your Mac, you may see this alert: "A software update is required to connect to your iOS device. Would you like to download and install this update now?""

mess.jpg

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
It is an incremental iTunes update for a Mac meant to make it work better with iOS 13 devices. There was a separate iTunes version release for Windows as well. You can go ahead and install it, it is really tiny and harmless.

My take is that since there will be no more iTunes in Catalina, Apple decided not to release the fully fledged (= heavy) new iTunes version for a Mac, instead offering a small patch to make it last until Catalina is out.

Reactions: dcmaccam

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
Thanks for the info. That seems to have done the trick. I was just concerned that it would update iTunes to a higher version than 12.6.5.3 and I would lose the ability to sync my Apps from my iMac.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I was just concerned that it would update iTunes to a higher version than 12.6.5.3 and I would lose the ability to sync my Apps from my iMac.

If you think about the file sharing section (swapping files between the apps installed on your device and iTunes) it is fine and works just as before.

Reactions: dcmaccam

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
I'm receiving this same message on 12.6.3.6, but I can dismiss it and synch my devices just fine.

I didn't realize there was an updated version of iTunes (12.6.5) that still allows you to download, update, and manage apps in iTunes?

Update, When I updated my 9.7inch iPad Pro then I tried to update my Apps I get this message which I just canceled. However my iPad Pro still syncs fine. No exactly sure what it is trying to install. Same happens with my iPhone SE. Never happened when I was running IOS 13.1 Beta.

This is from Apple support pages:-

"If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has a newer version of iOS than is supported by your Mac, you may see this alert: "A software update is required to connect to your iOS device. Would you like to download and install this update now?""

View attachment 863404

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you think about the file sharing section (swapping files between the apps installed on your device and iTunes) it is fine and works just as before.
No. What he mentions here is the ability to install apps to connected iOS devices directly from iTunes, not App Store.
[automerge]1569455046[/automerge]
I'm receiving this same message on 12.6.3.6, but I can dismiss it and synch my devices just fine.

I didn't realize there was an updated version of iTunes (12.6.5) that still allows you to download, update, and manage apps in iTunes?
Yep, there is. However, that updated version won’t let you install iOS 13 via iTunes. I end up using a separate Catalina partition to get the job done.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
Trying to update iOS12 through iTunes would brick my phone and I'd have to use a Windows machine to get it up and running again before being able to update from a backup on my MBP. Since then I've switched to updating firmware OTA without problems. I primarily keep the older version of iTunes because I like to update all my apps at once rather than download the same app 4x across four different devices

Yep, there is. However, that updated version won’t let you install iOS 13 via iTunes. I end up using a separate Catalina partition to get the job done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.