MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A Macintouch reader reports that he's hit the maximum number of files that iTunes can handle.

32,000 songs appears to be the max. I was at 31,992, and added a folder with 12 tunes in it. All of the songs appeared to be added (they showed up in the progress box, and, as iTunes was testing the volume levels, it went through all 12 tunes). But the list is stuck at 32,000 songs, and only the first 8 of the 12 tunes I just added are showing up.

Just for interest... assuming an average song length of 4MB... 32000 MP3s would take up appoximately 128,000 MBs of storage, and would require seven 20GB iPods to hold all the songs.

BernieC

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2002
The bigger question is - how could you ever hope to listen to all that music? I'm still working thru my collection of 3200 songs. I've got about 2300 that I haven't listened to.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
One of the workstudy students in my group at work has for a project setting up a raid system to hold lossless compressed files for the entire college music library. They expect to need about 1.5 TB of storage. I told them to look at the XServe RAID. They probably would not use an XServe as the server though, they would most likely use Linux on some kind of x86 platform with a fiber channel interface.

Meanwhile

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2002
How much ya wanna bet....

$5 says the next version of iTunes will have an "unsigned" in front of all those ints and a higher check, thus letting us get.. a lot more songs. Even if it's only 2^31 instead of 32 ( I wonder why they're preserving the top bit. Maybe it was written in RubyCocoa ;) ), that's still more songs than anyone has a reasonable amount of hard disk space for.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Seems like everyone likes to forget that iTunes is a consumer program. Most consumers don't have 32,000 songs.....so this limit is not a problem.

If you have that many songs, you need to get some special software.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by MacFan25
That is amazing that someone has 32,000 songs. I don't even have 500 songs in iTunes.

I have a PC user friend with 160 GB of songs. it boggles my mind like nothing else. i myself have 8 GB, but i can easily imagine much more, if i cared to download songs.

but yeah, i can't imagine ever getting to the current iTunes limit. this is so hilarious.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Apple needs to move the iApps away from whatever kind of slow and limited flat-file database(s) they're using now and towards a real database like MySQL or something. Apple shouldn't have to document the iApps' database formats because they should all hook into the same database. There should be no limit to the number of items you can have in your database, and iTunes and iPhoto should not be as slow as they are - and they should not get even slower as you add more media.

Is it just me, or have iPhoto and iTunes been stagnating lately? They're basically the same as 1.1.1 and 2.0, except for a few slight changes. iMovie has improved, and there have even been new iApps in the past year. But the two important ones (for me) still leave much to be desired. iPhoto is still absolutely butt-slow and it still needs big interface improvements. iTunes has a terrible-quality MP3 encoder and still doesn't have AAC support, its decoder uses way too much CPU and is not AltiVec-enhanced, etc. These are all problems that have existed since the beginning, but all Apple does is ignore them. It's not that Apple has just found out about them and is working on fixing them - iPhoto has sucked since version 1 and still sucks just as much. Apple has made all the improvements nobody has asked for and none of the improvements anybody has. iTunes is good but could easily be so much better.

Styvas

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2003
iTunes encoder

I'm not much of an MP3 guru, so I'm interested in more info on the previous comment about poor encoding by iTunes. Speed notwithstanding, I'm mostly interested in sound quality. Is the iTunes encoder deficient in this area, or is it the process that your critical of, not the final result?

Steve

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Re: How much ya wanna bet....

Originally posted by Meanwhile
$5 says the next version of iTunes will have an "unsigned" in front of all those ints and a higher check, thus letting us get.. a lot more songs. Even if it's only 2^31 instead of 32 ( I wonder why they're preserving the top bit. Maybe it was written in RubyCocoa ;) ), that's still more songs than anyone has a reasonable amount of hard disk space for.

unsigned int songs[pow(2,1000)];

Thats what we really need.

DHagan4755

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Originally posted by übergeek
you're completely right. you're not the only one who thinks that
Geez, I never thought of this...but why don't those knowledgable on databases write to Apple and suggest this? After all, Apple praises themselves as using standards...

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Re: iTunes encoder

Originally posted by Styvas
I'm not much of an MP3 guru, so I'm interested in more info on the previous comment about poor encoding by iTunes. Speed notwithstanding, I'm mostly interested in sound quality. Is the iTunes encoder deficient in this area, or is it the process that your critical of, not the final result?

Steve

Nah, it's very, very, very fast, and the sound quality is alright. I don't know what alex is talking about. For any mp3s I were to release publically though, I still use AudioCatalyst 2. It only runs in classic, and its not free, but it makes the best sounding mp3s available.

bigtiny

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2003
Well gee...that's an enlightened attitude!!!
What do you mean 'special software' and why SHOULDN'T 'consumer' software handle more tunes than that?

This limitation is an arbitrary one at best and from a programming point of view can probably be easily changed.....so why not?

I've just finished converting a 2000+ CD library to iTunes....because iTunes is the best MP3 librarian I've found...I use Macs....I'm SUPPOSED to want to use Apple products, right?!?!? So why are people so quick to say 'well you're doing something most people don't want to do so tough!' that's nonsense......

There should be no limit to the number of entries in the iTunes library as long as the platform it's running on does not run out of RAM or disk space.....

BT

Originally posted by Freg3000
Seems like everyone likes to forget that iTunes is a consumer program. Most consumers don't have 32,000 songs.....so this limit is not a problem.

If you have that many songs, you need to get some special software.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: iTunes encoder

Originally posted by Styvas

Steve

You can encode MP3s from like 96 Kbps to over 320, so i don't know what alex was talking abotu either. i LOVE the iTunes encoder, except that it adds spaces into songs--which really screws up the song transitions on my pink floyd albums i rip. but alex made some great points about apple needing a real database in iTunes. it really does slow down like nothing else (loading and closing) when you start piling on the songs.

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
Interesting to note, but really I don't care.

The number of songs I have on iTunes stays around 1500 because I am constantly adding and removing stuff. I basically use it to sample new stuff and organize misc. singles that I usually transfer to cd. In general I prefer to listen to music off my cd player because it has a better DAC.

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
who needs 140gb of music anyway, jeez, I have less than 300 megs of music and I have an iPod. Sure I can add more but adding CDs to an iPod takes forever. 10 seconds my ass...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.