Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iTunes 4.1 and Quicktime 6.4?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
As always, last minute rumors continue to arrive before the big event.

One series of unconfirmed notes suggests that iTunes 4.1 (not iTunes 5) will be arriving tomorrow alongside Quicktime 6.4. The new version of iTunes is said to allow the syncing of voice notes between the iPod and your Mac... suggesting that voice recording would be coming to the iPod.

If true, this would also suggest that previous iTunes 5 rumors were at least partially incorrect. Readers are reminded that unconfirmed rumors should be taken with significant uncertainty.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
To be honest, iTunes 5 seemed like to big a jump this early...

but we'll see what happens tomorrow.

arn

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
iTunes is amazing as it is, I have no complaints. However, if iTunes for Windows doesn't come out today for some reason, there will be problems.

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
... this makes much more sense than iTunes 5, being that v.4.0.1 was just released in May.

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
All I want from iTunes is some more speed. 10,319 tracks and it seems sluggish sometimes. Editing ID3 tags especially is painfully slow compared to the program I use to do that on Windows.

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
4.1 seems right

Honestly, the biggest wait for me concerning iTunes was the wait for Rendezvous sharing (I think it was a year and a half from Steve's demo during the Jaguar preview to iTunes 4). THAT was a long wait for an announced feature.

Not knowing what's around the corner, I'm happy with a small and simple upgrade. I'm simply much more excited that Windows users will get a taste, and I'm hopeful it runs with some of the same flair as it does on my TiBook. That's the suspense for me.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
According to http://www.macosrumors.com/, even up till a week ago, there were a few glaring bugs in the Windows iTunes.

Hope Apple have fixed the problem... otherwise it'll be a farce, and apple will have probably lost creditability about its iTMS for Windows.. If you can't burn your tunes correctly, a lot of people will be turned off...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Stella
According to http://www.macosrumors.com/, even up till a week ago, there were a few glaring bugs in the Windows iTunes.

Hope Apple have fixed the problem... otherwise it'll be a farce, and apple will have probably lost creditability about its iTMS for Windows.. If you can't burn your tunes correctly, a lot of people will be turned off...

Don't believe anything MOSR Says. Nada.

As for releasing iTMS for Windows, it's possible that Apple will release a Public Beta, although it'd be a little disappointing. Main thing is they need to get it working enough so that people will buy music from iTMS and Apple can ditch this MusicMatch crap for iPods.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

Well, first of all, I haven't been able to see MOSR in weeks, except between 3:00am and 3:01am, Mongolian local time, on Tuesdays, while standing on one foot, drinking a beer with a guy named Carl. At all other times, their server has been down.

Secondly, MOSR just makes things up -- according to them, we should already be surfing MacRumors using our G7 thought-controlled Einsteinium PowerBooks (with AirPort super-unleaded eXXtreme).

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
man, here i had my hopes up for a totally new iTunes. it does seem a bit early, but it stands to reason, i think, that they would find a lot of ways to improve iTunes for the mac as they worked at developing it for Windows. maybe not, though...

buseman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2002
Originally posted by wendel
MacOSRumors lies. Period. They do not have access to any builds.

this was quite cute:
We have recently seen test builds of iTunes 5

If we get iTunes 4.1 tomorrow, then thats the last nail in the coffin for mosr.

:D

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
You can download 3GPP for quicktime... Found it on the apple site somewhere, because I wanted to play these recordings from my Sony Ericsson T610 phone...

Just thought you would all like to know

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by buseman

no it isn't. that coffin has been sealed for ages. really, since i started following rumors over a year ago they were dead, dead, dead. they just won't stop pounding those nails into the coffin, though. by now it's just completely covered in nails...

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
this was quite cute:

Actually, to give mosr the benefit of the doubt they so richly don't deserve, version numbering is quite fluid on a product, sometimes right up until the day it is released.

Generally speaking, early builds will be more conservatively labelled, or not labelled at all. It is not unheard of, though, for an early build to have a "5.0" logo in the about box and then ship with "4.1" instead.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I suppose that Quicktime 6.4 will be a great update. Imagine that it will be enhanced for Panther & the G5. QuickTime rules! :cool:

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003

Actually the page says that there were glaring bugs in Windows iTunes version 5. It would be safe to assume that if iTunes 4/4.1 is used for the initial launch on Windows that development of iTunes 5 would proceed in parallel for Mac and Windows. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

Well, first of all, I haven't been able to see MOSR in weeks, except between 3:00am and 3:01am, Mongolian local time, on Tuesdays, while standing on one foot, drinking a beer with a guy named Carl. At all other times, their server has been down.

Secondly, MOSR just makes things up -- according to them, we should already be surfing MacRumors using our G7 thought-controlled Einsteinium PowerBooks (with AirPort super-unleaded eXXtreme).

Could you please send Carl over here? Ask him to bring his own beer.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
this was quite cute:

Why? It would be like saying that because Windows XP SP 2 was released that a person who claims to have seen a Longhorn beta must have been lying.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Yeah iTunes 5 is way to early. I'm still getting settled into iTunes 4. I think this one is the real rumor.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Whilst talking about rumours being made up, no one has yet to top the farce that was -

MacWhispers

It still makes me laugh when I remember them claiming
"G5 PowerBooks in the warehouses ready to go"!

And the infamous
"new iPods will definitely be released tomorrow".

Originally posted by dongmin
Don't believe anything MOSR rays. nada.

As for releasing iTMS for Windows, it's possible that Apple will release a Public Beta, although it'd be a little disappointing. Main thing is they need to get it working enough so that people will buy music from iTMS and Apple can ditch this MusicMatch crap for iPods.

Sjakelien

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
QuickTime 6.4 confirmed (fwiw)

I'm running build 7B80 of Panther (7B85 is supposed to be the Golden Master), and I can confirm that it includes QT 6.4.
I haven't really looked into it too much, but it DOES include the "Apple Pixlet Video" codec.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.