iTunes 7/iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onepremiere, Sep 24, 2012.

1. onepremiere macrumors regular

It takes quite a bit to get me fired up, but the excitement of un-boxing and setting up my new iPhone 5 was quickly dashed when I was unable to obtain iTunes 7.

I own a 24" iMac which I purchased in late 2009. The machine came with Leopard, and is still running Leopard to this day. The fact that I cannot sync my new phone to my 3-Year Old computer is about as frustrating as it gets.

I understand the direction of technology is quickly moving to "cloud" computing, however this is too much. Apple needs to recognize that obsoleting software/hardware this quick could be extremely damaging. I feel like taken advantage of, almost forced to spend money, I really don't need to/want to spend. I still want the security of having all of my data at my finger tips, I do not want to rely on someone else's hardware.

Also, I do understand it will cost $50 or to get my computer up-to-date, but I've been holding off in hopes of the next generation iMac. I have been planning on upgrading my iMac for about 8 Month's now, but I am still waiting, real bad taste in my mouth.

Then I thought of my father, who is using a 2005 G5 Tower that I gave to him. The computer still hums like the day I got it, and is perfect for his skill/use level, but it's lack of Intel processor wont allow him to go any further than Leopard. Again, a perfectly good computer, obsolete.

It comes to a point where you have to evaluate if this is worth it anymore?

2. HadItWithWindow macrumors regular

I Agree

I was stunned when I got my iPhones5 and suddenly I'm having all sorts of App and Cloud problems.

You'd think Apple would get iTunes worked out before the release of the phone. The only reason I stick with one (I made the switch from Windows to Apple when the first iPhones came out) is now suddenly complicated with machines like ours that are incompatible. Boo. First FUBAR by Apple in my opinion.

Apple is no longer for dummies like me. It takes too much thinking to use all their interface now.

3. onepremiere thread starter macrumors regular

Agree 100%. The simplicity is becoming a thing of the past.

I consider myself a problem solver, but the whole purpose behind purchasing an apple product was the simplicity, and avoiding THIS!

4. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I understand your frustration, but you need to have some sort of perspective. What are your reasons for not upgrading to Snow Leopard? It was a $20 upgrade and provided significant gains in usability and performance. Many people feel it is the best release of OS X since Tiger, and I could be persuaded to agree with them.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

What you said is true, but it's hard to ignore this fact: Vista (from a competitor of Apple) was released prior to Leopard and it is still supported.

In fact, Apple supports iCloud features on Vista (again a competitor's OS from 2007) but it does not support any iCloud features on Snow Leopard (Apple's own OS from 2009).

It's honestly ridiculous.

6. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Well using iCloud to back up and store all your information makes iPhone easier and less frustrating that using iTunes sync. You press a few buttons and your good to go. But I don't understand why you can't get iTunes 7?

7. mopppish macrumors 6502

Yeah, sorry man. You're 3 OS's behind, and each of those upgrades only cost $19-29. Hard to sympathize.
    There's nothing wrong with either you or your dad using older machines running an OS that was released nearly 5 years ago. But don't expect to be able to use all the newest hardware and software with them.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple also charges a fraction of what Microsoft charges for an OS update these days. That's why their OS adoption rates are very good while Microsoft customers tend to lag behind.

9. Beezzy macrumors 6502

This is really your fault for not upgrading your OS properly. If your Machine can support all the way up to Mountain Lion, go for it.

10. onepremiere thread starter macrumors regular

Some of you missed the part of post where I accepted the fact that it is a small amount to update the operating system, and my reasoning for not following through.

With that said, is it still possible to get snow leopard from an Apple store? The only OS that isn't offered digitally.

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You may have better luck in perusing eBay for copies of the Retail version.

12. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Do you know anyone who could lend you the disc until you upgrade to the new iMac?

13. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

It's my understanding that Vista is no longer supported for non-commercial customers, i.e., average joe's. Only some commercial customers are getting the support, i.e., large corporations. Also, there are no new patches being release to ANY Vista customers.

If you call MS support desk for Vista you will get the no longer supported message. They are pushing everyone to Win7.

I am running Snow Leopard server on my Mac Mini and I am having a couple issues with my new iPhone, specifically that no matter what I do, once I unplug my phone, it doesn't remain in the device list in order to do remote backups, etc. I may look at Lion or Mountain Lion, but only after I confirm that the third party music software is compatible.

14. 2SwiFt29 macrumors regular

2SwiFt29

On the same boat, but not too discouraged. Regretted not updating my software to Snow Leopard. Will do that soon. For the time being, luckily I have Windows 7. Using iTunes 10.7 on my PC for now until I switch my macbook to Snow Leopard.

15. onepremiere thread starter macrumors regular

That was my next question, I will paypal some $$ for shipping, and your time.

However, I do the see the upgrade on CNET for $29 as a download. Legit?:confused:

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wait for the new iTunes and see how simple it is....

;)

17. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I meant support as in supported by Apple. For example, to use iCloud to your Mac, you need Lion (released in July 2011). To use iCloud on your PC, you need Vista (released January 2007).

The OP was saying how you can't even connect your iPhone 5 to a Mac running Leopard. Leopard was released AFTER Vista but Apple doesn't support it.

18. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Gotcha. Sorry about that. I follow you now.

Yeah, that is quite silly...

19. HadItWithWindow macrumors regular

My wife's Mac is older and she has no need for updating OS if they don't come free with updates. You don't abandoned your customers buying your newest gadgets just because they have no need for OS upgrades. I'm not even certain her machine can handle the upgrades.

20. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

If your running a business and if your a futurist, you do. Not like you have to give up your kidney for it. It's like 30 dollars for Mountain Lion. Except for early Windows 8 adopters it's going to cost like 100+ dollars. And Apple is kind enough to let people "share" OSes, so you could buy one ML for all the computers in your home.

21. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Businesses typically never update their OSes right away; it may conflict with apps & other important software. Every business I personally know (two small video firms and one software company), just started upgrade to Windows 7. Also, the one video firm is still using Snow Leopard.

I appreciate Apple's aggressive release cycles of desktop OSes but once a year is a lot; there's no reason they couldn't have added Mountain Lion's features into a free update of Lion. Some apps aren't even compatible with Mountain Lion; by the time they are, Apple will be previewing it's next OS.

For most people money isn't the issue, the frequency & process of upgrading is the issue (it's tedious to do every year for your main computer that runs your tax software, word processing etc. and hope they're isn't a glitch).

22. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

It was hard for them to make iOS free. They have to keep the stock holders happy.

23. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That's true - I remember that battle.

But I think it would be easier for Apple & customers if Apple released OS X once every 20-24 months for $39.99. Someone who upgraded to Lion in December in 2011 only had Apple's latest OS for 7 months. That strikes me as odd.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm sorry, but the fact that a 3 year old OS can't even sync calendars from the cloud is a bit ridiculous.

A calendar should not be considered "the newest hardware and software."

I'm fine with dropping support for things that don't work well, but syncing calendars should not be one of those things.

And everyone, please stop talking about how cheap the OS updates are. There are many things (like Adobe software) that often have to be updated too when you get a new OS and that stuff runs hundreds of dollars. I'm paying Adobe about $500 every year because I want to keep up with it...but other people shouldn't be forced to do that just because they want to use iCloud.

25. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I think it has a lot to do with keeping up with iOS and iCloud.