iTunes 8.0 prevents access to rental-movies (when outside the US!!!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by henninas, Sep 15, 2008.

1. henninas macrumors newbie

I hope someone can help me out on this one; I reside in the US, and have an American iTunes account connected to my American credit card. I never had any problems downloading rental movies when overseas UNTILL iTunes 8 came along. Does anybody know whether Apple inserted a security mechanism in the software update which prevents customers in the U.S. store to make use of its features when abroad? When I tried moving the files on to my iPhone, that didn´t work either!!!
    I have enquired with Apple, but no reply (surprise!). I do hope this is not yet another example of the Cupertino control-freaks trying to micromanage its customers. If so, I am out.
    Thank you so much in advance for your help...

henninas

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Sounds like Apple caught up with MS, in terms of locking people out of content.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Likely a proviso of new contracts with content providers, that they occasionally scan for the IP address of the system. They have not changed the rules since iTunes 7.5, but now they may actually be enforcing it. Have you tried changing your system's settings so that you appear to be in the US, or at the very least, disconnect from the internet.

TEG

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Here's something else to consider..

Would renting movies like this be considered an EXPORT? If so, it could be that the mafiaa MPAA had something to do with it.. :rolleyes:

BL.

5. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I can access rented content with no problem whatsoever.

I have an US iTunes store account and currently connect from Spain.