iTunes 9 - Bug; Search Then Skip Song In MiniPlayer Clears Search (Still Unfixed)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kolax, Mar 12, 2009.

1. kolax, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

kolax macrumors G3

To replicate: Search for an artist, then put iTunes into the MiniPlayer and then skip to the next track. iTunes will clear your search and start going through your library rather than skipping through songs in your search. So when you maximise iTunes, your search has gone.

This only happens when in MiniPlayer.

Help sort this by reporting this bug to Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

EDIT:

iTunes 10.4 still has this bug, which has been around since iTunes 8.1.0.

2. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Is this not happening to anyone else?!

It is really irritating, and if it isn't happening to anyone else, how do I fix it? :eek:

3. dbernie41 macrumors regular

this is happening to me... really irritating. How the hell could they break something like that?

4. slntbob macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem. It used to be that iTunes would let me search for an artist, say "Les Savy Fav." The results would be all of their albums and I could set iTunes to random and it would limit itself to only the songs that matched the search. Now, if I select random, it will only play one song, then select a song randomly out of my library.

5. dbernie41 macrumors regular

anyone find a solution to this yet? Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

6. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Sigh..

I was hoping Apple would have fixed this..

7. dbernie41 macrumors regular

It seems like we are in the great minority and this isnt happening to others because I would think it would get more action on the forum than this. Either that or no one uses the search and goes to mini player.

8. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Maybe few people use the MiniPlayer..

Wish this would get fixed. I'm having to just hide iTunes when I search for an artist.

9. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

If 8.2.1 doesn't fix this, then after 3 updates since this bug was introduced we've yet to see it fixed..

I'm sure there is other kinks Apple is trying to iron out of iTunes, but how can they have missed this/put it on 'low priority'..?

10. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Well, 8.2.1 didn't fix this. I've reported it to Apple several times, what the heck Apple..?

This is pretty pathetic..

11. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Here we are on version 9.0 and it still isn't fixed.

Seriously, how hard is something like this to fix? Does no one use the Mini Player? Or does no one search for an artist, go into Mini Player and skip songs...?!

This is really freaking annoying..

I've sent countless bug reports to Apple about it.

12. peacock chef macrumors newbie

bump

this has finally annoyed me enough to look for a solution/different player :mad:

Sent an email to your link.

13. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Still being frustrated by this..! Though it seems in iTunes 9.0.2, the bug still exists, but not quite so bad terms:

Now, if I type in say "The Doors" and go into MiniPlayer, the search clears (the bug) but iTunes will keep playing songs by The Doors, even if I skip.

So this bug is kind of almost ironed out (taken what, nearly a year..?). At least iTunes doesn't just ignore my search query when I switch to MiniPlayer.

But it still clears the search (even though it still uses the search query to play songs).

Hmm..

14. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

And another update goes by and we're still left with this issue.

Nearly a year since this bug originated.

15. Walkaa macrumors member

Seemed like you were on your own in this thread. So i thought id reply ive finally got frustrated enough with this silly bug to see search for a fix it happened to me on windows desktop i got rid of 6 months ago and its still happening on my new iMac,

Walkaa

16. gelatin macrumors 6502

still no fix for this yet?
    its annoying me a lot

17. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I have generally lived with this bug and been using Genius to listen to music. But recently, I've downloaded a couple of new artists and want to listen to just them while using MiniPlayer to see what the song is.

I've submitted this bug to Apple so many times. I've even emailed Steve Jobs!

Does no one else use MiniPlayer?

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had this problem, for two reasons: I never use the Mini Player, and I don't leave everything checked in my library; only those songs I want to play.

19. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Well if you don't use MiniPlayer then it is obvious that you won't experience this problem! And I have 10,000 songs in my library, so unchecking and checking songs I want to hear isn't really ideal.

It is something so simple. I like using MiniPlayer so I can keep an eye on what song is playing. I guess no one else uses MiniPlayer these days.

Fired off another bug report to the iTunes guys and sent El Jobso another email.

It isn't a major bug, but you can understand how it can be rather irritating when you use the MiniPlayer often.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had a problem with the checking and unchecking, with a library much larger than yours, but it's a personal preference thing.

21. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

If you wanted to hear say just The Beatles, you'd go and uncheck every song in your library apart from The Beatles?

22. GGJstudios, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I leave everything unchecked until I'm ready to listen. So if I want to hear something, I either select a Genre, Artist or Album, select all and check the selection. Or, I frequently want to select only certain songs, so I'll check a few and start playing, then search for and add other songs, simply by checking them. Of course, I also have favorite playlists. When I want to play a playlist, I simply click on it, select all, check the selection.

I also have 3 smart playlists:
    1. One that shows everything checked
    2. One that shows everything checked that hasn't played in the past day
    3. One that shows everything checked that has already played.
    I can start playing playlist #2 and no song will repeat. As soon as it plays, it's moved to list #3. I can continue adding songs that I want to play, simply by searching for them and checking them. When I'm done, I can click list #1 and uncheck everything.

23. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Granted that can be useful, but you can understand why sometimes you'd just want to use the search bar, put an artist and hit play?

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The problem I have with that is I can't search for other songs while that artist is playing. If I search for The Beatles and start playing in the search results, then search for Santana, as soon as the current Beatles song finishes, playing stops. I like to browse and search my library, without affecting the selection I want to play.

25. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Ah yeah, that is another pet peeve! That would pretty good if play wasn't interrupted.

The iTunes music library search bar has always been pretty poor. You can't put in parameters to prevent stuff, or only search only artists etc.