iTunes: Adding album art then deleting album art pic?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dictoresno, Dec 21, 2016.

1. dictoresno, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016

dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Lets say i load music into iTunes that doesn't have album art. I then go online and find the jpg of the album cover, save it to my iMac and then apply it as the artwork for that album using the "Get Info" tab in itunes. Now can i delete the jpg file of the downloaded album art off my computer, but the art will still show in iTunes and synced to my phone?

I have a folder with thousands of album art pics that I've assigned over the past year as i organized my iTunes library. However, I don't want this folder, dozens of MB's in space, on my computer. Is iTunes smart enough to "assign" the album art to the mp3 file and now i can delete the art and have it remain in iTunes?

I dont wanna delete thousands of album art pics and destroy months of work that I've done. Ive deleted one recent picture from the computer as a test and it appears the album art remains in iTunes and associated with the actual mp3 file in its folder (the file icon has changed to the album artwork). Even after deleting the pic, it seems to remain. But I wanted confirmation before i do the rest.

EDIT: from what i gather, adding artwork using the "Get Info" menu embeds it into the actual mp3 file right? so then deleting the original jpg should not be an issue. Is this correct?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes, using Get Info will embed the artwork into the file and you *shouldn't* have an issue deleting the JPGs.

At least I never have had problems. I've seen posts where other people have though. You might want to watch your iTunes folder to see if the thumbnails are reflecting the changes.

3. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

thanks for the insight. ill delete a few and see what happens over time.