iTunes and iPhoto plus Rendezvous

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
As many noted back at MacWorld Expo 2003, Tivo was listed as one of the technologies to incorporate Rendezvous.

Tivo's FAQ reflects this cooperation as well:

We are currently working with Apple to provide complete integration with future versions of iTunes and iPhoto.
iTunes 4.0 (as it's currently labeled) has been long awaited... with various feature expectations. One feature includes dynamic library sharing which was demonstrated at MacWorld NY 2002.

Based on word-of-mouth, Apple appears to be planning to release the new iTunes in April, along with a seperate app for iPhoto to share your photos with Tivo.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I wonder if they will add dynamic library shring to iPhoto as well. It would be nice to be able to share photo libraries via rendezvous as well.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I suppose a separate App for Tivo capabilities is good, although I'd like it to be in, say, iPhoto 2.1. But then again, not everyone has a Tivo, and even less people would want to share iPhoto photos with it.

And for iTunes 4.......:)

Only one question. What color will the music note be? We've had blue with version 2, we've had this pink/purple thing with version 3. What color will version 4 bring?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
It'll be nice when we see the true potential with Rendezvous. Right now, it's kinda behind the scenes, but when it's out in full force, it'll make every other comany's digital hub look like an old-school telephone switchboard...

Of course, Rendezvous is available for anybody to embed in their apps or hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised to see windows apps coming out that are available to take advantage of it. It'll certainly help fend off microsoft, who will eventually say that rendezvous is bad, and make their own no-config, auto detecting networking technology, or whatever Rendezvous is...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
Originally posted by Freg3000
Only one question. What color will the music note be? We've had blue with version 2, we've had this pink/purple thing with version 3. What color will version 4 bring?
I'm thinking for the full color spectrum, the only color we haven't seen in any iApp (that I'm aware of) is green...

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by G4scott

I'm thinking for the full color spectrum, the only color we haven't seen in any iApp (that I'm aware of) is green...
Yeah, green is basically absent. There is a bit of green in iDVD, but not really. Maybe we'll see more than one color like in the original version.

Newborn77

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
AAC encoding support

Dynamic library sharing is great and I'm looking forward to it but my most wanted feature would be real AAC support beyond what we got today with iTunes 3. I would like AAC encoding, visual effects, tags, etc.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by Freg3000
How about burple.

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
You know what would be cool? If I could wave my iPod and Palm in front of my iBook and have photos and music magicaly appear........ah....sweet bliss.... :D

I think the note should be lime, KEY LIME BABY! WHOO!

:p

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
how about black huh? black would be good =) like notes, usually are...

april seems a long way off. and kinda puts a dampener on my hopes for an ipod update with new codec support.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by G4scott
It'll be nice when we see the true potential with Rendezvous. Right now, it's kinda behind the scenes, but when it's out in full force, it'll make every other comany's digital hub look like an old-school telephone switchboard...

Of course, Rendezvous is available for anybody to embed in their apps or hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised to see windows apps coming out that are available to take advantage of it. It'll certainly help fend off microsoft, who will eventually say that rendezvous is bad, and make their own no-config, auto detecting networking technology, or whatever Rendezvous is...
I'm pretty sure windows apps can't take advantage of rendezvous unless microsoft includes support for it in windows...which probably isn't very likely...and even if they do I'm sure they'll mess with it so it isn't compatible with Apples implementation.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i can't wait to see what great things apple will do for iTunes in the next version. i would be thrilled to see some performance increases. not that it doesn't perform great on my laptop, but i would like to see it zoom more and the visualization not bog things down as much.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by jholzner

I'm pretty sure windows apps can't take advantage of rendezvous unless microsoft includes support for it in windows...which probably isn't very likely...and even if they do I'm sure they'll mess with it so it isn't compatible with Apples implementation.
but if they mess with it so as not to work with rendezvous, then it won't be rendezvous, and thus won't work with rendezvous-compatible appliances.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i guess if we're talking *wishlist* i'd love to see a move away from just an xml list. (sequential read will be the death of me) but to see apple doing this anytime soon seems unlikely..

a little off-topic, but i think that would be my number one wish for 10.3 an integrated media database built as part of the OS, used primarily by iApps but open to developers too.

i guess *sql is the likely candidate, but it would be cool to see apple implement an xml database.

oh, and i want quicktime independant reading of media in iApps =) it's just too slow, even if it is flexible.

Liquidity X

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2002
Windham, ME
All i want, is the abilty to set a equalizer per playist, man i can't belive no one else wants this. Ihate having to change eq. each time i switch form jungle to say hip hop, dynamic playlists arn't that dynamic....

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
TiVo Notes

If you're looking to incorporate these special Rendevous apps, be aware that you need a Series 2 TiVo (from what TiVo has stated so far). Also, a separate subscription fee besides the initial fee will also apply (for the multimedia option) - I think it's an extra $99 (making it a full $400 for the entire Tivo subscription package, not counting hardware costs).

Enjoy!

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by Liquidity X
All i want, is the abilty to set a equalizer per playist, man i can't belive no one else wants this. Ihate having to change eq. each time i switch form jungle to say hip hop, dynamic playlists arn't that dynamic....
i though you could save eQ settings to
individual songs. check the prefs.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by beatle888

i though you could save eQ settings to
individual songs. check the prefs.
yeah. if you make a playlist, click on one song, then hit cmd-a (select all) and then hit cmd-i (show info) you can modify the eq settings for every single song in the list. the only issue is that that modifies it straight to the file, not as per the playlist. but honestly, i think that is better--modifying a playlist in and of itself is not necessarily a good thing--it's better to modify, say, a genre. like classical eq settings for your classical, rock for your rock music, and so on. then if you "mix" on a playlist, you don't have to hear the classical through a rock eq setting, which really tends not to sound so nice.

but my point is, iTunes makes it VERY easy to mass edit eq presets.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by jholzner

Wrong. But, for specific apps to take care of rendezvous support would be a bit silly. Nonetheless, MS has waited for applications to do things themselves before deciding to implement technologies in Windows before ... TCP/IP itself fits the bill ...

As for Windows supporting Rendezvous, do remember that an earlier version of one of the two standards involved in ZeroConf is in Windows, and has been for a while. "Universal Plug-and-Play" is MS's implementation of a very early revision of the IP auto-config mechanism now known as ZeroConf/Rendezvous.

Problem is, MS doesn't support the "full" rendezvous spec, and supports non-standard extensions on that early draft, and if history tells an accurate prediciton of the future, MS will be quite happy with that unless and until the industry stands up and demands to be able to use the real standard.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Another one?!

If they are already pushing out another version number of iTunes, I think that is just a little too fast. Now if they name it iTunes 3.5, that might seem a little more acceptable.

But I guess that depends. It seems like version numbers change (.1 or a full 1 point) when there are some major additions or changes implemented. OS 10.1 was a good jump from 10.0, and 10.2 practically could have been OS XI (or OS 11), since it probably had more additions and improvements than OS 9 ever did over OS 8.6. Which is part of the reason why I stuck with OS 8.6 until OS X came out. OS 9 hardly had any 'real' new benefits to get me to fork out more money for the upgrade. It really wasn't worth it to me.

However, Apple seems to be somewhat strong arming people to get 10.2 with tasty new Apps such as iCal and Safari. However, I still have one system with 10.1 since some apps break on 10.2. I've also been having some odd compilation issues with 10.2, also, which I never had under 10.1.

Anyway, long rant wrapped up. Upgrades and improvements are good, but it can get somewhat annoying if the updates are coming out too soon. If Apple had supposedly expected to put in some other technologies into iTunes 3 but never made it, then why have bothered in the first place? I'm quite happy with iTunes 2...I think I liked it better than 3 since it had about the right amount of features for me without adding all of the extra little knick-knacks onto it.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
UK not a target market

As if cut features in iPhoto 2 (UK version has no book or print ordering) wasn't bad enough. Tivo have just announced that they're to "switch off" it's UK members.

Yay! Another Apple product on the horizon to marvel at, but never actually use.

Screw Apple UK and screw Tivo.

Having said that, I've a Dual 1.4 on order from Apple UK, and still haven't decided to go through with the order. I'm sure my G4 500 is snappier since placing the order!! And iMovie 3 is FAST on it now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.