iTunes Artwork Screen Saver Crashes with Dual Monitor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chmarch, May 20, 2008.

1. chmarch macrumors newbie

I have a 24" Alu iMac 2.4GHz purchased in October '07 running Leopard 10.5.2. I have my desktop extended to a Dell 24" display through DVI-D. Would anyone have any idea why the iTunes Artwork screen saver crashes after about 7-10 seconds when having it run on both monitors? I have to have the checkbox checked "Main screen only" so that it doesn't crash. Thanks in advance to any responses!

2. ne1for23 macrumors newbie

ne1for23

I've hit this page a few times in a Google search and just now figured out what is going on.

I have a MacBook Pro that I use at home and at work with an external ViewSonic display. At work, the iTunes Artwork screensaver works great on both displays. At home, however, it displays a random amount of artwork on both displays and then hangs until it eventually crashes and shows the computer name screen saver instead.

After checking out a few tests... I too find the screen saver works fine at home if I check main display only. This pointed me towards my external display. What could be different? Oh yeah, my display at home has a slightly higher native resolution (1600x1200 at home, 1280x1024 at work) because its a bigger display.

So on that hunch, I reduced the resolution of my vp201s to 1280x1024--and the screen saver worked fine on both displays!

Hopefully Apple hits this bug in their next batch of updates. At least I feel better figuring out the real problem. Meanwhile this might help someone out there from spinning their wheels trying to solve the problem with the useless recommendations about deleting the settings plist and the annoying quantity of users complaining about the pink color problem (which sounds like it was fixed in 10.5.2--I never saw it) when you try searching for the solution to this problem.

3. ne1for23 macrumors newbie

ne1for23

Yaaay! They fixed both my external display issues with the 10.5.3 update released today (5/28/2008).

iTunes Artwork Screen Saver doesn't work on external displays in certain resolutions: Resolved

Flickering Darkness (that could stay if timed right) when using cover flow on rotated external displays (90 degrees) on Macbook Pro (I use a ViewSonic vp201s): Resolved

One issue I'm sad they haven't resolved...

iTunes locks system on MacBook Pro browsing via Coverflow: Not Resolved, behavior improved by 10.5.3. It still hangs but if you wait long enough it will restore system functionality.

For myself, I reproduced this by opening iTunes and clicking like crazy to both scroll to the next artwork song and play the song clicked. Seems to happen much more frequently when using cover flow on a rotated display.