Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkofthestars

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Is there anyway I can get iTunes to NOT automatically find ID3 tag information? I went and got rid of all the genre information in all my songs so I could go through them and set them myself. After I changed some of them and then played the songs, iTunes took it upon itself to change the tags. I don't know if it connects to the internet to find this stuff or what, but it's seriously annoying. I found a checkbox in preferences to set whether or not I want it to auto connect to the internet when needed, and I unchecked it but that doesn't seem to help. It still changes my information! Any ideas?

jumpman25

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
thinkofthestars said:
Is there anyway I can get iTunes to NOT automatically find ID3 tag information? I went and got rid of all the genre information in all my songs so I could go through them and set them myself. After I changed some of them and then played the songs, iTunes took it upon itself to change the tags. I don't know if it connects to the internet to find this stuff or what, but it's seriously annoying. I found a checkbox in preferences to set whether or not I want it to auto connect to the internet when needed, and I unchecked it but that doesn't seem to help. It still changes my information! Any ideas?

I had the same problem with my windows machine. I had to change the tags then exit out of the program, for you I would assume iTunes, and then open it back up without playing the music after I changed the tag. If I played the music after changing the tag without restarting the program then it would reset the tag. Not sure if this is the case with macs as I haven't gotten mine yet, but it seemed to be the problem with windows.

thinkofthestars

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
jumpman25 said:
I had the same problem with my windows machine. I had to change the tags then exit out of the program, for you I would assume iTunes, and then open it back up without playing the music after I changed the tag. If I played the music after changing the tag without restarting the program then it would reset the tag. Not sure if this is the case with macs as I haven't gotten mine yet, but it seemed to be the problem with windows.

OMG. That's exactly the problem I'm having. If I play the song after changing the tag (without restarting), it would reset it to what it used to be. I installed an old version of MusicMatch so I could use it instead, but I never got it working... seems some files were missing. Anyway, I went back to iTunes, and the problem has been driving me insane. I'll have to restart it to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks so much!

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
thinkofthestars said:
OMG. That's exactly the problem I'm having. If I play the song after changing the tag (without restarting), it would reset it to what it used to be. I installed an old version of MusicMatch so I could use it instead, but I never got it working... seems some files were missing. Anyway, I went back to iTunes, and the problem has been driving me insane. I'll have to restart it to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks so much!

This is an insane problem, ive never heard of it, or experienced it, and I change all my genre's to something that makes sense to me. Where are you getting the songs, what machine are you running, what OS, version of iTunes, im sure people will ask for all that soon enough in order to help you all.

A

thinkofthestars

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
altair said:
This is an insane problem, ive never heard of it, or experienced it, and I change all my genre's to something that makes sense to me. Where are you getting the songs, what machine are you running, what OS, version of iTunes, im sure people will ask for all that soon enough in order to help you all.

That's what I want to do... change my genre to something that makes sense. If I'm in a Ska mood, I want to be able to listen to all my Ska songs, etc. I just tried renaming all my genres and then restarting iTunes before I played anything, and it didn't work. I changed The Aquabats from "Other" to "Ska", restarted, and then played the song. Immediately upon playing the song, it changed back to "Other." I've even uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled.

I have a brand new 14" iBook G4 running 10.3.3 with iTunes 4.2 (the newest one that showed up in software update yesterday after I uninstalled). I can't for the life of me understand why it's doing this.

[Edit] I forgot to mention where I get my songs from... I get a lot of them from CD's that I buy and some of them from... other places. I've never had this problem before though. When I had all of my songs on my PC I would change ID3 tags all the time in MusicMatch, but iTunes just won't have it. Oh, and it doesn't let me change anything else either. I have a Maroon 5 song that it won't let me change the artist to "Maroon 5" (without spaces). When I play the song, it adds like, 5 spaces after the artist name. Which when listed in the artists section, displays "Maroon 5" and "Maroon 5 ". I can't change Album titles without it resetting, Genres, Artist Names, or anything. It's irritating.

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
thinkofthestars said:
That's what I want to do... change my genre to something that makes sense. If I'm in a Ska mood, I want to be able to listen to all my Ska songs, etc. I just tried renaming all my genres and then restarting iTunes before I played anything, and it didn't work. I changed The Aquabats from "Other" to "Ska", restarted, and then played the song. Immediately upon playing the song, it changed back to "Other." I've even uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled.

I have a brand new 14" iBook G4 running 10.3.3 with iTunes 4.2 (the newest one that showed up in software update yesterday after I uninstalled). I can't for the life of me understand why it's doing this.

[Edit] I forgot to mention where I get my songs from... I get a lot of them from CD's that I buy and some of them from... other places. I've never had this problem before though. When I had all of my songs on my PC I would change ID3 tags all the time in MusicMatch, but iTunes just won't have it. Oh, and it doesn't let me change anything else either. I have a Maroon 5 song that it won't let me change the artist to "Maroon 5" (without spaces). When I play the song, it adds like, 5 spaces after the artist name. Which when listed in the artists section, displays "Maroon 5" and "Maroon 5 ". I can't change Album titles without it resetting, Genres, Artist Names, or anything. It's irritating.

Hrm, you try repairing permissions? otherwise the only thing i can think of is that something must be corrupted. You might rename your 'iTunes 4 Music Library' and 'iTunes Music Library.xml' files, which are located in /users/'username'/music/iTunes. Then add your songs and try changing the genre and see if it sticks. If this works, you can export your playlists from your old 'iTunes 4 Music Library' and 'iTunes Music Library.xml' and then import them into the new above files. I *think* this will work, but other people can correct me if im wrong.

Good luck, lemme know if this works.

A

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
it seems as though itunes is autofilling the maroon 5 artist information. This was a new feature in itunes 3. Try selecting all of the maroon 5 songs you have, control-clicking, and clicking "get info" then erase the artist name, and then manually type Maroon 5 in. See if that helps.

BaDBoY

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2003
California
altair said:
Hrm, you try repairing permissions? otherwise the only thing i can think of is that something must be corrupted. You might rename your 'iTunes 4 Music Library' and 'iTunes Music Library.xml' files, which are located in /users/'username'/music/iTunes. Then add your songs and try changing the genre and see if it sticks. If this works, you can export your playlists from your old 'iTunes 4 Music Library' and 'iTunes Music Library.xml' and then import them into the new above files. I *think* this will work, but other people can correct me if im wrong.

Good luck, lemme know if this works.

A

not sure.... i had a problem like that before but i found out the reason was because the music was locked

EDIT: ive been doing more thinkin... how are you opening your songs? do you double click it on the finder or just select it in library list? if you open it through finder, it could be that it is the same song and it will over write with the newer version.. IF you have that one option clicked.... i think its the advanced tabs. one of those.... well anyway look and see its it will work

thinkofthestars

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
BaDBoY said:
not sure.... i had a problem like that before but i found out the reason was because the music was locked

Wow, you are my new best friend. Problem solved.

There's something I failed to remember until now. Before I got my iBook, I used a PC. When I got my iBook, I backed up all of my music and pictures to CDR's. I put them on my iBook and all was well. Until it came time to edit some pictures that I had in Photoshop... it wouldn't let me save the files because it said they were read only. Same thing in Word with some documents that I had copied from my PC to my iBook. Well, it didn't occur to me that it also did this with my music. Then I thought about it, and I realized that I was only unable to change tags on the music I had copied to my iBook from the CDR's I burned. Any music I put on my iBook since I'm able to change. For example, I bought a CD yesterday that I had iTunes copy to my hard drive as MP3's. I changed the Genre in all those files, and it kept them. The problem was that all of my other music was read only because I copied them from CDR's, but music I've downloaded directly onto my iBook or copied from store bought CD's are fine. So yeah, problem solved, and thanks a ton for everyones input. I'm now a completely satisfied iTunes user.

secretwings

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2004
Sorry, could you explain again please?

Hi,
Sorry to sound dim, but I'm having the same problem and I don't quite understand the solution. Do I really have to export and re-import all my tunes? That's a big job...
I just want to be able to change the genre without iTunes changing it back for me, or even refusing to let me do it. The same story with pictures: if you show the artwork pane, for certain songs it will tell you "album artwork not modifiable". These are the same songs for which you can't change the song info.
So could someone just summarise what I'm supposed to do please?
Thanks in advance...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.