iTunes BIG Mistake, changed album name by accident for all songs , how to undo all

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The Final Cut, Aug 12, 2012.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I was on the phone and distracted and I wanted to change everything to the same genre but I put that genre as the album name, how can I undo this!!!!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you replaced all your album names with the name of a genre? And why would you want everything listed with the same genre, unless they really are of the same genre?

3. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes thats what happened. Sometimes when in genre cover view even a genre is the same it appears as a separate pile, so I usually have to select both piles of music and reedit the genre info.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unfortunately, there's no "undo" for such changes. There could be a way to retrieve album info, depending on how your files are named.

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

Here are a few scripts that I've found particularly useful:

5. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

I hope you have a backup! That's the only way to easily fix that.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If you restore you iTunes directory from backup, you should be all set.

/Jim

7. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

That probably wouldn't fix the issue, the album name change would be in the ID3 tag of the actual file itself, not in the iTunes database.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

In most cases (and by default)... the media files are stored within the iTunes directory.

If the OP does not let iTunes manage the data... the media files can also be resorted from backup.

/Jim

9. cyberpunk, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

cyberpunk macrumors newbie