iTunes Bottlecap Success...

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
MO
How successful has everyone been in the iTunes bottlecap sweeps??
I've been pretty lucky so far.

8 bottles bought
5 songs won
1 buy one get one free

How about everyone else?

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I found a littered 7-11 slurpee cup on the ground today. After going throught all the trouble of taking it out of a muddy, slushy puddle and bringing it home, it turned out to be a loser. :(

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
So far I haven't purchased any yet. It certainly seems that all the posters so far are being very successful. :D

whw5

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
Atlanta
solvs said:
6/6.

And yes, I cheat by peeking. And no, I don't feel guilty about it.
How do you tell if its a winner? Is there a special trick? Please share your knowledge.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
MO
correct me if i am wrong but the cheating only works with the clear type bottles. i have tried it with a mountain dew and i couldnt see jack. its too bad too because i cant stand pepsi, but i love mountain dew.

on a side and somewhat related note. does anyone know why the prices of bottled soda shot way up? i started to prefer cans so i would just buy 12packs (i still do except for the free songs, ill spring for a bottle) so when i started to buy bottles for the contest i noticed that in my area (STL) bottles all went up at least 10 cents, in some cases 16 cents. used to be 1.09 (1.13 with tax) and now its like 1.25 (1.30 with tax) in the highest extremes. i was just wondering why and if anyone else is observing this in their area.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iGAV said:
sod all... 'cos they don't do the promotion over here. :rolleyes: :(
At least you don't expect to have any. Meanwhile, stores around me are still saying they might get some in the next shipment, and to wait and see. So far it's turning out just like last time, when it was over a month before any yellow-cap bottles showed up locally.

On the bright side, I've had no losing caps so far!

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Combined totals for wife and me:
7 bottles
5 winners (cheated once, just for the thrill)

We never buy soda except during the iTunes promotion. Last year, I actually bought a couple bottles of diet pepsi after the promotion was over... I was hooked. :eek: Luckily, it was easy to kick the habit, and I didn't have another one until last week. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who's dropping a few $$ on Pepsi who otherwise wouldn't.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
22 free songs for me:
I have purchased 6 bottles of Pepsi. 5 were free songs and 1 was buy one get one free. I got 7 more winning song caps from a friend who refuses to use iTunes and have 10 that I got at work. We sell 20 ounce bottles so I just ask people for their caps if they open them in the restaurant. I was supprised that people would actually give them to me.

And I agree about the Mt. Dew bottles being impossible to tell if they are winners or not. Guess us cheaters will just have to drink Pepsi.

mrjikey

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Wa
Doctor Q said:
At least you don't expect to have any. Meanwhile, stores around me are still saying they might get some in the next shipment, and to wait and see. So far it's turning out just like last time, when it was over a month before any yellow-cap bottles showed up locally.

On the bright side, I've had no losing caps so far!
I'm in the same boat you're in :mad: I'm currently living in central Washington in a small town and I doubt I'll see any yelow-cap bottles for weeks or longer. I guess this way I won't drink as much pop :eek:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I've gotten:

4 bottles
2 winners

It's strange because it only seems that the 1-liter Pepsi bottles have the yellow caps in my area. I have yet to see any 20 oz. bottles with caps or even the Slurpee cups. It is turning out like last year all over again.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
jmsait19 said:
correct me if i am wrong but the cheating only works with the clear type bottles. i have tried it with a mountain dew and i couldnt see jack. its too bad too because i cant stand pepsi, but i love mountain dew.
If you try hard enough, you can. It's a little tougher, but it does work.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I found the Pepsis Friday! But they had only regular Pepsi, not Diet Pepsi, so I guess I'd better not polish off a dozen a day to get my caps.

So far, I'm 2 for 2.

BLINK

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2004
I am 2 for 3 so far. The thing about cheating though...I cannot see it. I'm not sure if the bottles I tried had the code printed really lightly, but I couldnt see jack. In fact, when I opened the soda, it was printed lightly. I could barely read it then! Hopefully i'll get a better batch next time.