iTunes: Can I have a selection of movies on an external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johneaston, May 25, 2011.

1. johneaston macrumors regular

At the moment, I have all my TV Shows and Movies on an external 1TB drive as, clearly, that won't fit on my MacBook Pro. I do it by dragging it in to iTunes making sure "Import file to iTunes folder" is off.

I plan on selling my pointless iPad and getting a useful MacBook air, but will miss having a selection of films available without the need for my external HDD.

Can I have 100% of my movies on my external drive, but select a few to be duplicated on my internal drive? In other words can I tell iTunes "If you can't find the file from my external drive, look in this folder".

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

you could work with separate libraries. have iTunes create a new library on your boot drive and populate it with selected content.

whenever you want to use either library, launch iTunes while holding the option (⌥) key, click on choose library when prompted, and select the iTunes folder of your choice.

or you could get e.g. PowerTunes to help you managing multiple libraries.

3. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

That's actually a very good idea and will probably do exactly what I'm wanting - thanks for that.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Thanks for posting the link. Currently I'm using Miro 4 to manage movies as it handles files similarly to itunes while using iTunes for music on a separate computer.