Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
At the moment, I have all my TV Shows and Movies on an external 1TB drive as, clearly, that won't fit on my MacBook Pro. I do it by dragging it in to iTunes making sure "Import file to iTunes folder" is off.

I plan on selling my pointless iPad and getting a useful MacBook air, but will miss having a selection of films available without the need for my external HDD.

Can I have 100% of my movies on my external drive, but select a few to be duplicated on my internal drive? In other words can I tell iTunes "If you can't find the file from my external drive, look in this folder".

Jolly Giant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
In other words can I tell iTunes "If you can't find the file from my external drive, look in this folder".

you could work with separate libraries. have iTunes create a new library on your boot drive and populate it with selected content.

whenever you want to use either library, launch iTunes while holding the option (⌥) key, click on choose library when prompted, and select the iTunes folder of your choice.

or you could get e.g. PowerTunes to help you managing multiple libraries.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
That's actually a very good idea and will probably do exactly what I'm wanting - thanks for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.