Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
So, I've been preparing my iPad for my holiday coming this Sunday. I mostly use it for listening to my music. Anyway, while syncing up one of my playlists, iTunes crashed... and now, I get this error: "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPad."

The only option I seem to have is "Restore". I really, REALLY don't want to restore the iPad, as there's no way in hell I'll get all of my music on there by tomorrow. I have around 80GB of music to put on the iPad, most of it having to be compressed for obvious reasons (which takes a long time).

The odd thing is, everything on the iPad itself seems to be working fine, including the latest songs. Unfortunately, the Apps were just about to get updated, and I was in the middle of configuring the Apps on iTunes... so a lot of them seem to want to be "Updated"... I have a feeling they're simply reinstalling themselves. They're taking a long time to do so, but they are working nonetheless.

I suppose I'll just have to forget the 200 songs I wanted to put on it... very frustrating though. This is another reason for me to sell the bloody thing asap. Oh well.

Does anyone here have any suggestions, or am I screwed? The iPad is formatted to the Mac.

JerseyBill

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
You may be suffering from the library corruption I have seen three or four times now. Not hard to remedy in a few minutes - you delete and recreate your library on iTunes - but you also have to reboot you iPad (from the iPad - not a restore).

Here is an article that generally covers the process -

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2529

Basically, I disconnect, delete the iPad library on the computer, reboot the iPad from the iPad, reconnect and the library will be restored.

This tends to happen when I interrupt synching in any way.

JZB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.