Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

UKMacBod

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2004
I was kind of hoping that Steve might have made some other announcements - either about iTunes Europe or iPods...

Still, great iTunes update though :)

Comment

Awimoway

macrumors 65832
Sep 13, 2002
California
Interesting that he allowed the press and software releases ahead of his announcement for a change.

…Unless of course there is a surprise up his sleeve this morning, like an updated iPod, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

stoid

macrumors 601
Snowy_River said:
For those who've been complaining that 3 computers isn't enough, the limit being upped to 5 must be great news...

Hs anyone ever burned the 10 limit of CDs for any legal reason? I don't see any need for anymore than a few copies, and even 7 is much more than I need. Can someone shed some light on why a person might legally be burning that many copies of a single playlist?

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Steve seems to stay pretty much on message. The conference call was about the iTMS.

The good news is that we are just two months till WWDC. The broadcast will have started....

Comment

asim

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2003
charlottesville, va
itunes 4.5 working great... just tried out apple lossless... no probs but need to do some careful tests and then may reimport my classical cd library plus a few select others...

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Snowy_River said:
For those who've been complaining that 3 computers isn't enough, the limit being upped to 5 must be great news...

I know it is for me since we have 2 desktops and 2 laptops in our household. I can easily accept the limit only burning the exact same playlist 7 times instead of 10. The increase from 3 authorized computers to 5 is more than a fair tradeoff. :)

Comment

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Louisville, KY
Hmm...I think these statement may signal no Video-capable iPods anytime soon:

Jobs: we have to stay focused on the fact that people are buying iPods for music.

Jobs: Music is background activity -- movies are foreground activity -- music is the revolution here.

Comment

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
stoid said:
I'm sure you would Steve, now if you don't have any numbers to prove this, than no one else is going to join you in your little fantasy world. Now snap out of it and get me a faster G5!!

I'm ditching my PC and buying a Powerbook soon. I probably wouldn't be doing so if it wasn't for the iPod.

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Gherkin said:
I'm ditching my PC and buying a Powerbook soon. I probably wouldn't be doing so if it wasn't for the iPod.

I did the same thing last May when I bought my first ever Mac and an iPod. It may not be millions, but it has influenced at least a few switchers.

Comment

jeffgarden

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2003
Miami
I heard the new lossless format makes the songs like 30 megabytes each. Which i guess is "small" compared to importing without compression. But why would anyone import without compression anyway ? Seems pointless unless it's just to use for a DVD or something.

I was hoping for maybe like 2wice the space of 320bitrate AAC but this looks like each song is 3x larger

Comment

stoid

macrumors 601
Lancetx said:
Gherkin said:
I did the same thing last May when I bought my first ever Mac and an iPod. It may not be millions, but it has influenced at least a few switchers.

Really?!? That rocks! I guess it's just because my Windows friends are so hopelessly dependent on 'the system' that it would be easier for them to switch from the Matrix to the 'real world'.

But this is two people in this relatively small group of people responding in a matter of minutes! I'd say that is significant. I guess you can't really prove it with numbers any better than the RIAA can claim that Kazaa and piracy hurt CD sales. Go Apple!!

Comment

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
All this stuff is nice, but I was hoping for new iPods..I need to replace my 1st gen. 5 gig iPod...come on Steve

Comment

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Lancetx said:

In a small way, I think the iPod's success is definitely helping the Mac by boosting Apple's brand image. Most PC users used to have this feeling that Apple customers were just rogue hippies using out-of-date computers. My girlfriend would never even consider a Mac until she fell in love with her iPod last year. She just bought her first PowerBook 12" last week, turning down the Dell Latitude X300 she had had her eyes on for the past year. Go Apple! ¡Viva la revolución! :)

Comment

hughdogg

macrumors member
stoid said:
Can someone shed some light on why a person might legally be burning that many copies of a single playlist?

Umm, Legally? I'm not sure, but I have a relative who makes custom holiday CD's for the family (about 20 each) with different holiday music on it each year. It is a nice little gift to get, and usable through most of the holiday season. Of course, he also got most of the music off Napster prior to the clamp down...

Cheers,
hughdogg

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.