Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
I was just noticing how bad apples implementation of the cover artwork thing is. Im a big fan of the idea of the cover art being viewable while the song is playing. I like the the idea of having it under the playlists, but has anyone noticed that 1. It doesnt look up the album covers which is quite easy to do (with amazon or something) and 2. a biggie, i imported an album cover for a silverchair album but it only came up for that one song and not the rest of the album even though the album name and everything is identical. Thats means that i will have to import 3671 album covers if i want them all. I cant see myself doing that.

Any thoughts?

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
Can you highlight multiple files and then select the cover art? If not I would imagine that Apple would fix a problem like this at the next update. You might just have to wait for an update.

Matt

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
agghhhh, and i thought that was one of the coolest features. I know, I know im weird.

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
A little off topic but is there a way to change the color of the itunes icon? That green just doesn't look good with everything else being blue.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i agree, i wish i coudl do it for the wohle album maybe a 3rd party program soon.

ultrafiel

macrumors member
May 19, 2002
You can just select multiple tracks (ie the whole album) then drag the cover art into its box. It will then apply the album art to all the songs selected. I actually went to amazon and found the cover art, dragged the picture from safari right into iTunes and it worked fine. Where is the cover art stored though? Maybe I should look.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
either your a genius or were all dumb or somewhere in the middle. Thank you so much.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
about the cover art...i dragged in more than one cover for a song and now theres arrows down there....how do i delete the cover that i accidently put in there?

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by ultrafiel
Where is the cover art stored though? Maybe I should look.

The cover art is stored in the ID tag of the song itself. When you add cover art, you can see the song size change.

Originally posted by howard
about the cover art...i dragged in more than one cover for a song and now theres arrows down there....how do i delete the cover that i accidently put in there?

There is a tab in the "Get Info" window called "Artwork" which can be used to add/delete cover art.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
thanks a lot!

i feel stupid for not figuring most of the above on my one...but hey i really like this cover art feature now that i know how to use it

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
USE THIS

hillmanminx makes a program. find it on version tracker. search for CD cover

Its called CDCoverTool 1.1.1 or something.

You search for an alblum/artist, and it downloads you a cover. works great for me.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
wow!...that's the slowest method for me to find cd cover art...

search versiontracker for "clutter"
clutter automatically finds the cover art of what you are playing and you can copy right from the main window.

also, a great website for cover art is http://www.allmusic.com

but i would still rather have a script that will just download and add the picture to the album...

actually i wish itunes would do it for me...

and isn't it supposed to do it when you rip a cd? i ripped a cd today and it didn't find it for me...or was that just for when you download from applemusic?

jaybeekay

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
i'm getting an "album artwork not modifiable" message on the cover preview screen. What is that about?

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
wow!...that's the slowest method for me to find cd cover art...

search versiontracker for "clutter"
clutter automatically finds the cover art of what you are playing and you can copy right from the main window.

also, a great website for cover art is http://www.allmusic.com

but i would still rather have a script that will just download and add the picture to the album...

actually i wish itunes would do it for me...

and isn't it supposed to do it when you rip a cd? i ripped a cd today and it didn't find it for me...or was that just for when you download from applemusic?

I dont think it will get it from CDDB as i dont think they do album covers (i wish they would though) only from the music store.

Originally posted by jaybeekay
i'm getting an "album artwork not modifiable" message on the cover preview screen. What is that about?

Great choice on a name (not sure about the bee though).

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by dynamicd
A little off topic but is there a way to change the color of the itunes icon? That green just doesn't look good with everything else being blue.

you can kinda do this. without photoshop (or something similar) you can't change the color of the note in that particular icon, but you could find another itunes icon (at any site that has icons) and replace yours with a blue one.

to do this all you do it find the icon you want (it will usually be given to you as a blank folder). "get info" on that folder, and copy the icon.
get info on itunes and paste the new icon over the old one.
drag the old itunes icon out of the dock and drag the new one into its place.
all done.

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by evoluzione
i'd love the ability to print them, at a decent quality i mean. so if i do buy a full album, i can then burn it to cd, and print the cover, put it in one of them slimline cases. i still like to have the physical object from time to time.

That'd be a great idea, but I think the problem might arise that people who have pirated the material would be able to get the art also.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
sorry for the double post...

as far as getting cover art from amazon goes... all the ones i have looked for have a "x% off" tab in the corner. if there any way to get rid of this? do some albums not have this? thanks!

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
I noticed that adding cover art made the size of my library bigger i think by 100 KB per picture. That adds up after a while. Also, I'm wondering if the cover art is transfered onto the ipod even though it's not being used. I would like to put the cover art on all my songs but I only have a 5 GB iPod so space is at a premium.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
I noticed that adding cover art made the size of my library bigger i think by 100 KB per picture. That adds up after a while. Also, I'm wondering if the cover art is transfered onto the ipod even though it's not being used. I would like to put the cover art on all my songs but I only have a 5 GB iPod so space is at a premium.

It probably will as i assume it will add it to the ID3 tag, which is good because if you move it to someones elses computer it will still be there, but i can see how the size would be a problem.

crookedcharlie

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2003
Los Angeles, CA USA
Re: sorry for the double post...

Originally posted by baby duck monge
as far as getting cover art from amazon goes... all the ones i have looked for have a "x% off" tab in the corner. if there any way to get rid of this? do some albums not have this? thanks!

I found that if I "click to see larger picture," this goes away, and I end up getting a bigger size cover as a nice side-effect.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
use cdcover tool (as mentioned by someone previously - if you read this feel free to take the credit) which you can get on versiontracker.

I find it better than amazon.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
I just did a test. 8 song play list, three songs bought from apple and added cover art from amazon and it took up 300 KB more on the ipod for art added to the other 5. doing this for 500 songs would be 30 MB.

Since I haven't bought that many songs from Apple I'm not going to worry about the art that comes with the song but it sucks that Apple didn't impliment it so that the images were not fed to the iPod on sync. Oh well...:rolleyes:

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
What I would really love is the ability to print this artwork... maybe I'm just slow but the only way I could figure out to do this was using Snapz and just taking a jpeg picture of it when it was enlarged. And on a similar note, why doesn't iTunes have a simple program that could print the playlists and possibly album art of the CD you are burning. I'm guessing they don't want the album art so they don't make it impossibly simple to make homegrown copies, but is a list of tracks too much to ask for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.