Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St. George

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2003
England
I'm trying to backup and big itunes playlist to DVD. After hitting the burn button, the dvd tray pops open and a the burn cancels with the message:

The device drained its buffer without burn underrun protection.

Any ideas?

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
I don;t think it is possible to burn to DVD with iTunes, might want to try something else, sorry mate. If you can...then I am sorry, might want to make sure you have all the firmware updates for your superdrive there was an issue with some of them for a while.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Actually, yes you can.. I just backed up my mp3 collection to DVD over the last month or so.

Make sure you have it set to DVD in preferences and you do not have the burn speed set to Maximum, as it will probably have an effect on the buffer.

And start with creating playlists of 4.2 gig as if you try to do more, it can cause problems too.

- Doc

St. George

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2003
England
Thanks D0c'

The list I tried to backup was less than 4 gig, and I had already tried different burn speeds.... all with no joy.

Anyway, I've since tried just moving files onto the dvd via Finder and then hitting burn from the menu (no iTunes) and I got the same thing happen only with error 2147352480
?
I'm assuming physical fault or Firmware now. I have no idea how to proceed yet :)

aquicies

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2004
Itunes CD Burning problem

Hi,
I'm also having problems with Itunes. I'm trying to burn CD's but once I click burn, an error message saying- The device drained its buffer without burn underrun protection come up. I've tried everything from different Cd's to changing my burning speed. I also have toast and that also stuffs up saying MEDIUM ERROR/WRITE ERROR. This is soooooooooo frustrating as I do'nt know what to do. Can anyone help? Thanks :eek:

St. George

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2003
England
greetings

see
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25480

I've had this problem and there appears to be no fix (in my case) unless it's fixed by a tech.'

Your warrenty/service cover should sort this. I've had my system over 2 years so I have to pay.

I just found out (if you're in the UK) you've actually got 6 years (max) in which to get a refund or get the part fixed. This may be good in my case because my dvd burner has never worked (although I only recently tried it for the first time).

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.