Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
I was just looking at Music Mixer for Xbox. It will use Live! to download new visualizations and music (public domain I assume.)

Wouldn't it be something if Apple usurped Microsoft's Xbox, added AAC and iTunes?

How about a USB interface to download/upload from an iPod.

Forget about volume, just the mindshare would be worth it.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-MorganX

Oo. Damn fine idea.

Are you listening Apple? Or are you planning something with a TiVo purchase?

This is something MS and Gates would have done to someone else when the killer instinct was needed.

It's akin to the IBM and Intel architecture funding Windows development. By somehow getting IBM to agree to "license" DOS, every time anyone sold a PC compatible with DOS MS cashed in. When Windows was failing in the early years, it was funded by DOS sales much like Office is funding Xbox.

AAC and iTunes on Xbox? Everytime MS sold an Xbox it would be another Music Store node or Xbox docking station. Microsoft isn't about to stop marketing the Xbox. Every Xbox Live! subscription and subscription to the Apple Store. It won't happen but oooh, what I'd give to be in SJ's position right about now. I'd definitely step on Gates' nuts and bolts. When they develop it for Windows, shouldn't be much to port it, hehe.

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
While this is a great idea...

... the problem is that no software can run on an un-modded Xbox without being authorized by Microsoft, and I can't imagine any scenario in which Microsoft would allow this.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: While this is a great idea...

Originally posted by mstecker
... the problem is that no software can run on an un-modded Xbox without being authorized by Microsoft, and I can't imagine any scenario in which Microsoft would allow this.

I would think refusing this with no reasonable grounds would be anti-competitive behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.