Itunes freezes when I change the song, won't shut down.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JonTheRvelator, May 8, 2008.

1. JonTheRvelator macrumors member

I have an imac from last year and everytime I play a song in itunes it works for the first one, but if I even do anything else, like look at a playlist, search or something, it freezes up and won't let me exit it.

I've tried redownloading it, still does it, I have lots of music nearly 200gb, but this hasn't really happened alot since I got my RAM upgraded in December.

anyone have any thoughts?

2. JonTheRvelator thread starter macrumors member

no one has any advice at all? its so annoying, it won't do anything without freezing, even between songs playing it takes like 45 seconds to play the next song.

3. Paulohvmatos macrumors newbie

I'm having the same exact problem and it also seems to have started since i had RAM upgraded. Is there any way to test RAM and diagnose if its faulty?

4. DynoTAP, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

DynoTAP macrumors newbie

Here's the solution for Windows computers and possibly Apple computers too, (I know there is a version of CCleaner for mac, but I don't own a mac so I cannot guarantee that this will fix it -- though it is likely that it will -- so it won't hurt to try)

EDIT: WINDOWS ONLY! Sorry about that.

Before doing anything, please backup these folders and files from your iTunes folder: Album Artwork, iTunes Media, iTunes Library (iTunes Database File), and iTunes Music Library (XML Document). Next, uninstall iTunes.

Now go ahead and download Piriform's CCleaner at filehippo or any other preferred website (www.piriform.com is a wise choice as it has a version for those using a mac). Once installed, open CCleaner and click on "Registry" (just below "Cleaner") then click "Scan for Issues". A whole list of issues/errors should appear with a check to the left of each one.

At the very top of this list of issues there will be the words "Problems" , "Data", and "Registry Key", as well as a check mark to the left of the word "Problem" -- uncheck it and all the check marks should disappear.

Now you need to search for everything that has something to do with itunes. You can do this by searching through the Data column. After checking these items, select "fix selected issues". You may need to go through this process a few times before all traces are deleted.

Once you have finished you can then proceed with reinstalling itunes.

iTunes should work fine now. All you have to do is transfer the backup files back into your iTunes folder.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is a useless post, as there is no registry in Mac OS X. You don't need to uninstall or reinstall iTunes, and you don't need any "cleaner" apps.

6. DynoTAP, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

DynoTAP macrumors newbie

like I said, I don't own a mac - however perhaps you could explain to me what the UI for CCleaner looks like for mac.

edit:
    CCleaner is still in beta for Mac

edit 2:
    I just saw a picture of the UI - turns out this is going to be a Windows only fix (look at: http://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, you don't need "cleaner" apps for Mac OS X.

8. DynoTAP macrumors newbie

Thanks for clearing that up with me. It seems as though this will indeed be a windows only fix

9. DynoTAP macrumors newbie

It's the same with linux based operating systems - no need for cleaner applications (though there are a few out there but with a different kind of task)