iTunes gift card only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gatech2, Nov 16, 2011.

1. gatech2 macrumors member

I searched but didn't find an answer although i am sure it's somewhere.
    Can i use iTunes gift card to purchase my app and music through the itunes store without having to have a major credit card.
    I've changed banks and no longer have one.
    Thanks for any replies.

2. gatech2 thread starter macrumors member

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Mostly yes. There are a few things that they won't let you use gift balance on, e.g. subscribing to iTunes Match.

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Unless I'm misunderstanding the following and unless there's a difference between the credit you receive from redeeming a gift card and adding credit via other means (if there's even a way to do that), you actually can use iTunes store credit to subscribe to iTunes Match:

Apple article link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4914

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Thanks for the clarification. I have a card on file so did not pick up that distinction.

6. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Yes that is what I do.

7. doboy macrumors 68000

I love using the iTunes gift card since I tend to purchase them when they go on sale. I purchase $100+ every time they go on sale since you can use them for music, movie, books, and apps (iOS and OS X). If you live in US, Best Buy and Target (I think) are having 20% off sales for Black Friday. One time Walmart had $50 card for $35.

8. gatech2 thread starter macrumors member

9. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

10. Almy macrumors 6502

You don't even need a credit card to start an iTunes account. Just a gift card will work.

11. supervelous macrumors 6502

paid for my Itunes Match with an Itunes $25 gift card...although they did make me verify my payment information on file...but it definitely used the gift card...I believe they make you verify because Itunes Match is a yearly service and when you subscribe it's set to renew annually unless you disable auto renew.

12. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Yup this is what I do. No card registered to my account plus I can get 10% off gift cards so makes sense just using them. Plus it will stop me from spending too much! :D

The only thing you can't do is gift someone an app. Tried to do that last year with my gift card balance and asked for a card.