iTunes Gift Cards & NJ's Music/Video Download Tax

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LimeiBook86, May 18, 2007.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have a quick and silly question for you guys today. This year in the state of New Jersey there is now a tax on all digital music & video downloads, including the iTunes store. Now I purchased an iTunes gift card from a store, if I entered this into iTunes and purchased something I wouldn't get taxed right? I was just curious what would happen if I bought something, since I already paid for the gift card, I don't know if that would count as purchasing an item since I have the credit from the gift card. So I'm a bit confused... :confused:

Anyway, if anybody has had any experience with this or knows if I would be taxed or not I would appreciate it if you'd let me know, thanks in advance. :D

2. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

You should have paid tax on it when you bought it in the store. When ours ring up in the store they ring up with the sales tax already on it. So when a customer buys a $15 giftcard it costs them $16.05 and in the end they still have a $15 gift card.

Kevin

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well when I bought the gift card I didn't pay tax. The receipt backs, this up. Hmm so I guess I might pay when I use it online? :confused:

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

No it won't ask you to pay extra when you redeem it.

Since you did buy the card in NJ, I'm thinking that the clerk who rung you up just didn't put tax on it, or maybe the law didn't go into effect yet, or perhaps some stores didn't update their systems to reflect tax.

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

In Texas, the $15 card costs $15 in store, and downloads cost $1.07 (99 cents + 8.25% tax).

maybe it works like that?

6. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

7. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

8. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

*Stands corrected*

I checked when I got to the store. It should charge you as they said when you redeem the card.

Kevin