iTunes HELP? I have $24.95 in iTunes card credit, but it charged my credit card?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by unicornicole, Dec 28, 2009.

1. unicornicole macrumors newbie

Happy Monday everyone!

So today I decided to send one of my friends a very special christmas present - episodes of SNL. I decided to first send her the Just Commercials episode, because I know its one of her favorite parts of the sketch show.

The show is $1.99, and I filled out the "Gift" form.

However, when I clicked "Done", the iTunes page said that it had billed my CREDIT CARD.

I have $24.95 in store credit, from various gift cards for iTunes.

Why did this happen, and how can I fix this?
    I really really really can NOT have this bill be on my credit card.
    Thank you in advance.

:confused:

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

You can't use iTunes credit for gifts, only your CC.

I have no clue why - but i learned that a little over a year ago when i wanted to send a friend a song.

3. unicornicole thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the worst thing I have ever heard.
    -.-"

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

this is standard on ALL giftcards, not just apple. You can't use a Best Buy giftcard to buy an iTunes Giftcard. Too much fraud, no way to track if something happens.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

This is exactly right.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I've never understood this policy. Perhaps someone can explain this fraud thing to me more. What's the difference if I take my Best Buy giftcard and get an iTunes card vs. getting oh...a CD or a videogame instead??? I'm confused. From where I am sitting there is no difference, so I must be missing something.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You're not missing anything. The fraud risk is overplayed. And it's not a set policy for all stores. For example, I just bought a Wii Points Card with a Wal-Mart gift card last week.

It's mostly a ploy for retailers to get you to purchase a item with more markup (and they therefore make something off of you in aggregate).

Third-party gift cards (like iTunes, PSN, XBOX, Wii, etc) are a loss leader for retail stores. There's very little retail markup on them since it's essentially a cash for credit exchange. The only reason they carry them is to drive sales of more expensive physical products (iPod touch, game consoles, etc).

Knowing Apple's strict retail pricing history, I wouldn't be surprised if retail stores make less than 5 percent markup off an iTunes Gift Card purchase — barely enough to cover their transaction fees.

Since iTunes gift cards don't expire, there's no chance of the retailer receiving non-use revenue either.

And as far as Apple is concerned, they don't want you using "your" credit on other people. It's a smart way to get two transactions off you.

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I work for a music store in the UK. Customers can use our giftcards to buy iTunes cards.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I just got an iTunes gift card with a Best Buy gift card yesterday, it can be done. Not only I did that, I got another Best Buy gift card and paid for it with a Jewel gift card because I don't like shopping at Jewel for food and since they sell gift cards for other stores I bought a Best Buy one.

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I"ve done this at BB too.

I did run into an issue last week funding my pre-paid debit card with a WM GC. I had done this before without issue - which is why i went to do it again. The lady cashed it out for me and did it. She didn't believe me when i told her i had done it about 2 months ago (or i wouldn't have told people that WM GC's were fine to send me).