JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I've been "TELLING A FRIEND" all day... I was in the running for IPODS 300,000-900,000 and then telling a friend (itunes100@apple.com, x12) like a mad bastard from 99,950,000 till it turned over.

I know a lot of people probably are thinking that most of the last 5M songs were bought, but it was probably mostly the FREE way to enter.

All you needed to do was simply click “Music Store” (from iTunes 4.6) and click any album, song or whatever, and click the “Tell a Friend” button.

Instead of telling a friend, put in the email "itunes100@apple.com". Click send and you’re entered.

Of course, it also said to send email to additional addresses, just separate with a comma, so I had the address 12 times in my COPIED memory and just kept going back and forth. I probably was entered 5,000 times or more all day... and last night, too.

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
Well, I bought 2 albums. I wonder how long it takes for them to notify the winner. :eek:

Mattski

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Australia
Thats fantastic now maybe.....

Great. Maybe they will be cashed up enough to launch in Australia.

Facetious I know (as I'm sure they have the cash), but we're hanging out for it.

Jackal05

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2004
5 hours ago the countdown was still at under 99,000,000 then I went and played a game and checked again and it was already over.

imnoah

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2002
That was FAST

I've been watching the count for the past few hours and couldn't believe how fast the count moved once it passed the 99,970,000 mark. In the time it took me to download 3 songs, the count surpassed 100,012,000. Way to go Apple!

EDIT: The counter is still up! Any guesses as to how log it takes Apple to pull the plug? 100,040,483 at 12:39 CT

EDIT: I just realized that the ITMS peaked at 75 songs per second.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Jackal05 said:
5 hours ago the countdown was still at under 99,000,000 then I went and played a game and checked again and it was already over.
I was going to go to bed figuring nothing would happen until tomorrow morning...glad I didn't :)

Armsreach

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
I must say, this promotion was great. I've had a wishlist of songs built up that I kind of wanted to purchase ever since the functionality was built in, but hadn't purchased the songs yet. I am a music director at a radio station and get most of the music I want for free. However, I watched the website and went on a downloading frenzy downloading all the exclusive tracks I wanted right at the last minute. It was insane. The past two hours, about 1,000 songs a minute. Then about 25,000 songs in less than 5 minutes. Wow. Anyways, you got my money apple, and I got some cool itunes exclusive tracks. Anyone else purchase any songs at the last minute? What were they?

--Pixies - Bam Thwok
--Hey mercedes - Exclusive single
--Yeah yeah Yeahs - AOL Sessions
--Thrice/Thursday live at Apple Store
--Ben Folds - Speed Graphic and Sunny 16 EP's
--Get Up Kids - itunes session
--Pixies at BBC (not exclusive, but the only pixies release I don't have)

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I think they should keep up the iPod giveaway part of this - maybe a free one given away for each million mark download from this point on. Seems like almost free advertising for them, and would seriously spike downloads.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I bet the winner only bought one song. ;)

I on the other hand bought 50 songs. The RHCP Greatest Hit's Album for myself, 3 Bond CD for my sister, plus 5 other songs for her. If I win, I'll owe her an iPod.

mainemike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2003
Bangor, Maine
Macrumors said:
No word yet on who the lucky winner is.

It ain't me.....I ain't no fortunate son.

Although I did stay up late to buy some last minute tracks. Hey, I still have some cool tuneskis, so what do I care?

Looking forward to the celebrity playlist by the winner.
I'll bet it sucks.
(Sorry..sour grapes seeping in there).

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Looks like the counting funtion still works.

100,040,483..which happen in only last 15 mins.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
Mudbug said:
I think they should keep up the iPod giveaway part of this - maybe a free one given away for each million mark download from this point on. Seems like almost free advertising for them, and would seriously spike downloads.

Or maybe just keep it at every 100,000. After all, they are earning a bit under $99,000 for each 100,000 songs, and will only lose $300 by giving away and ipod...

mainemike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2003
Bangor, Maine
JGowan said:
Is that a reference to Bruce Hornsby?

Creedence Clearwater Revival, my boy.

Hey, if I did win the millionth download, it would have been by Duke Ellington. And if I didn't win? Who cares? The Duke rocks!

pickleman

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
although iits too late to give any tips. i did find that "telling a friend" on an imix presents a "tell another friend" after youve sent it.... which makes for a really fast sending spree.. i wonder why its only on the imixes.. maybee cause it was a newer feature and they havent bothered changing the reguralr tell a freinds.. or am i just dumb

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Best I can tell, the mark was passed about 1:22-24 GMT -4, based on the rates during the five minutes intervals before and after the winner, probably closer to 1:23 or 24. I told a friend (itunes100@apple.com) about an album at about 1:22 and bought it at about 1:23. Hopin' :)

mainemike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2003
Bangor, Maine
juniormaj said:
John Fogerty, CCR

Keep on chooglin', JuniorMaj!

Say folks -

If you were the winner, and you had the opportunity to create a Celebrity Playlist on the iTunes store, what would you put together?

To be honest, I might feel a tad overwhelmed by the prospect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.