iTunes home sharing & app updates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrochester, Nov 12, 2011.

1. mrochester macrumors 65816

Hi all

I have iTunes home sharing turned on so that my other half can install apps I have bought on his iPhone. However, last night when he opened the app store on his phone, there was an update for one of these apps, which he tried to install. However, the update was asking for my login credentials (which he obviously doesn't have). Is this right? Short of having to get me to input my password for every update to one of these apps, how do we get around this? It seems to be counter-intuitive to the home sharing process!

Many thanks

M.

2. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

To update apps, both/all devices need to use the same iTunes account (same user name and password). That's the only way Apple knows that the person who bought the app or other content is sharing it.

3. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

Well as we both have separate iTunes accounts, but share our content, I guess we'll just have to make do with not being able to update an app until the other one has typed their login details to do so.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, this is correct if he is attempting to update the app via his phone. My wife and I do the same thing.
    This is mostly a security issue, a feature if you will.
    The home sharing process shares the app that you have in your library. Should you wish to update to a new version, login credentials are required....even for you. So this isn't really counter intuitive per se.
    If you update the app and then sync it to your library, he can then use home sharing for that version without your password being entered. Since you've already done that when you set up home sharing.
    Updating the app on the phone it outside of the "home sharing" feature of iTunes and thus requires a login.