iTunes - how to batch-change track # to x of x?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Apr 6, 2012.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

Most of the track numbers in my iTunes appear as numbers 1 2 3 4 etc., but I'd like the them to appear as 1 of x, 2 of x, 3 of x etc.

Is it possible at all to batch-change them to such format??

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Select the tracks you want to have the same "of x". Then, File > Get Info (or cmd-I, or secondary-click and select Get Info).

Now, in the "of x" box, enter the number of total tracks. Most of the other entry fields will be blank. Click "ok", and you should be good to go.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, yeah, but will it work for multiple albums or just one album at a time?

The thing is I have a LOT of albums and I definitely wouldn't want to go one by one...

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If the albums have the same number of tracks, then yes, it'll work. I think you're asking if iTunes can automatically know he total number of tracks, and the answer is no. Perhaps someone has written an AppleScript to do this - otherwise, you'll have to do it by album. Though, unless your tracks are meticulously labeled, even a script might not be accurate.

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Yep. I ruined my iTunes library with a poorly coded script. I remember watching a commercial about cleaning up track info like this. I think it's called TuneUp.
    http://www.tuneupmedia.com/

I need to give it a try. It says it can do track numbers, track count, and more. http://support.tuneupmedia.com/entries/311815-how-can-i-control-what-song-information-tuneup-cleans Too bad it's $40/year or $50 for a lifetime subscription. Might be worth it, if you have thousands of songs.