Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Does anyone else feel the same way? I love itunes and feed my mp3 player (currently a nokia 6280, I can't justify an ipod until This phone comes along...) using it. I just get my own CD's and rip it to itunes. For me music is really special and I keep the price tag on the CD's so I can remember when I queued up for say that precious oasis new release.

If you download it, there is nothing physical and to me it feels you have nothing. Maybe its just me as people are obviously downloading in their millions. But I have just suffered a massive crash resulting in me having to reformat my harddrive. I'd backed up most of the important stuff but lost my itunes library But its ok as I have my original CD's.If they were downloads they'd be gone.

Video and films on the other hand I consider throw away and will gladly purchase on itunes. I don't consider music to be disposable in the same way.

As Steve Jobs always says its about the music but for me that includes having a real attachment in buying the physical CD.
Does anyone else feel the same way??

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I used to feel that way about vinyl albums, but CD packaging always felt like a cheap imitation to me. I can take it or leave it, unless there is something especially cool about the CD (signed etc.).

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I agree most of the CD cases are cracked or have broken hinges but I still enjoy thumbing through my thousands of CD's Iv'e accumulted since I was in my 20's-it's just not the same scrolling through them.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
So in 10years time I could re dowload a song? I never realised that. They should make more of that, it's a good selling point.

BUT I'm still not convinced-also there is the compression issue. You don't get the entire song just the bits they think you can here-or is this wrong too??

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
After losing more than a few CD's to damage (college years, camping, etc), I really appreciate the ability to back-up my music. Plus, the ease of navigating a large collection (700+ CD's) on my computer. Plus the fact that I can box up my CD's, and not have them out in my house (You will see what I mean eventually)... I'll never go back to physical media.

Now with Coverflow, scrolling through my albums is really nice, and I find myself listening to albums more again instead of playlists.

So, all in all, the convenience and lack of having to store the media makes all the difference to me.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
twdawson said:
When you purchase music from the itunes music store then have a crash you dont lose anything, because you can go into itunes and check for purchased music and it will download them again.
Unfortunately they only allow that for downloads that never completed in the first place.

Apple will make special one-time exceptions for people who fail to make backups, but someone from their customer support department has to arrange that on request.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I was thinking if you could download all the time what would stop me going to a freinds computer and downloading it for them. It could have gone half way to making me buy music at itunes though.

The itv thing could be for me though, if you can use the TV as a browser for itunes and downlaod video/films directly to it.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I still buy the CD for bands that I REALLY love, but if I'm just buying an album for a band I like, I don't mind just downloading it.

barnacle

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
i have found while living on the beach, store bought cd's outlast burned cd's by miles. about 1/4 of my large collection is burned from other cd's and they get warts after about 2 years. now that i am backing up on 2 different hard drives i feel much better!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I won't buy anything from iTunes. The quality is too low. PERHAPS I may get a couple TV episodes here and there if I miss some from a continuing-story type show, like Lost or Heroes.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I agree for bands and artists I really love I have to have the physical CD in probaly more than one version (eg Japanese versions of oasis albums, they always have extra , brilliant, tracks on). For the other odd catchy single here and there I would probably consider itunes. But if I turned into a fan I would then get the CD. I also concur that burnt CD's don't last nearly as long as 'proper' CD's, I use them in my car but they scratch pretty easily(haven't got an ipod or an adaptor kit yet but I'll get one some day)

But is the quality lower?? -isn't it like looking at a polystyrene statue painted gold? It may look on the surface like the real thing but you know when you pick it up it.

For ripping and catalouging my existing CD's so I can re burn them for backups or listen to them on my phone (the nokia is a dog to use as an mp3 player though) I love itunes and I think I'll love the itv..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.