iTunes is driving me mad. I just want to copy a song!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by karlth, Dec 8, 2010.

1. karlth macrumors regular

Forgive me my lack of knowledge on how iTunes works but can somebody tell me how I can copy a song from my hard drive onto my iPhone.

Now what I've done is dragged the song file onto iTunes so it gets imported but when I try to drag it from iTunes onto the iPhone icon in iTunes nothing happens. I have to sync the iPhone for it to copy over.

Is there some setting I can change so that I can simply copy the song from iTunes onto the iPhone?

Thanks in advance

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

There is a jailbreak app that can do what you are wanting, unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. I don't believe there is an "accepted" method of doing this without a jailbreak. I could be wrong, but in my experience that's just how iTunes works.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you want to sync music, you just have to press the sync button in iTunes and it will copy over whatever music you've added since it was synced last. If you don't want it to sync automatically, you can change to manually manage music which should allow you to drag in the music you want and it will sync just that.

4. karlth thread starter macrumors regular

So if I select to manually manage the music library it will copy the music when I drag a music file from iTunes? No need to Sync anymore?

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There is an "accepted" method, and far over 100 million users of iPods, iPhones and iPads have worked it out without any problems.

Just plug in the iPhone, set up whether you want to sync your complete library, or only specific playlists, set up whether you want automatic or manual syncing, and it will sync songs between iTunes and the iPhone.

You don't drag anything. You press the "Sync" button.

If you really, really feel better if you can drag things, then create a playlist "Music for iPhone" or whatever you want to call it, set the iPhone to sync to that playlist only, and then you drag music onto that playlist. And then press the "Sync" button.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's been a long time since I've used that option but I believe it will.

7. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

This thread jut shows how many new mac users there are!! LOL.

Copying songs manually requires you to select the 'manually manage music' option in the iphone general tab.

This option has been around since iPod 1st gen... there is NO NEED to jailbreak!!!!!

Jailbreaking seems to be everyones first thought when it comes to using iOS devices these days!!