iTunes - Is there an easy way to copy select songs from server to laptop in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dmk1974, Dec 18, 2010.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

So here's my home setup:

- Server PC that has all of my music, photos, and videos on it.
    - On this server PC, I always leave iTunes open running in the background and have the entire library shared so other computers in the house can access and play all the songs.
    - On the other laptops (MacBook Pro and PC laptops) in the house, when I open iTunes, I can easily access and play all of the songs that reside on the server PC.

Now, what I would like to do (preferably easily somehow in iTunes on my MacBook Pro):

- Import or copy select songs from the server computer to the MacBook Pro iTunes Music Library

I know, on my MacBook Pro iTunes, I can go to File>Add to Library>and select the server file folders. But that is a pain compared to hopefully some way of just clicking the nicely sorted song in iTunes and copying it over an importing.

Is there some simple way to do this that I have just not found? Main reason is to easily copy songs to the MacBook Pro for iPhoto and iMovie. Thanks!

2. Rbalabama macrumors newbie

Drag and drop from library to library

I access primary library, show items not in my library and drag and drop what I want

3. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Hmmm...that doesn't work for me at all. Attempting to drag doesn't even show like it's moving a song. Right clicking does give a copy option, but then when I go to my library on my MBP the paste doesn't do anything.

To better clarify...when on my MBP, the songs I'm trying to copy from show up on the left side of iTunes under SHARED and I'm trying to copy them to LIBRARY on the MBP.

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i'm not clear you have enabled home sharing on your machines.

you can easily transfer content and playlists, however, playcounts and ratings will not carry over.

alternatives include 3rd party apps such as TuneRanger and Syncopation.

5. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Thanks for your help! That did it! Apparently, I was always able to see the songs on the server PC probably just because they were on the same network or something, but it wasn't per the actual "Home Sharing" option.

Thanks again!

6. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i was just pointing you in the right direction ;)

happy computing !