Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GbV76

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Hi,
I don't have two Macs to test this out (yet), but I was wondering if you can add music to your iTunes library that's physically located on another computer on your LAN. Ideally, I'd like to have my iMac with all my music located downstairs, and have say an older 12" iBook that could control my music collection from anywhere else in the house, without actually having to transfer all of my music files onto the iBook. Then I could stream my music to any stereo in the house using Airport Express. Is this possible? :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Possible? Why, it's integrated! This is Apple, man! :)

On the iTunes Lib source Mac:

Open iTunes -> iTunes pull-down -> Preferences -> Sharing -> Check "Share my music" and fiddle with any setting you want.

On the iTunes lib-sucking Mac:

Open iTunes -> iTunes pull-down -> Preferences -> Sharing -> Check "Look for shared music"

If the Macs are on the same LAN, and you're not blocking the streams/shares with firewalls, then the "Shared name:" will show up in the "Source" column on the iTunes library-sucking Mac.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
yellow said:
On the iTunes Lib source Mac:

Open iTunes -> iTunes pull-down -> Preferences -> Sharing -> Check "Share my music" and fiddle with any setting you want.

On the iTunes lib-sucking Mac:

Open iTunes -> iTunes pull-down -> Preferences -> Sharing -> Check "Look for shared music"

If the Macs are on the same LAN, and you're not blocking the streams/shares with firewalls, then the "Shared name:" will show up in the "Source" column on the iTunes library-sucking Mac.

I don't think that is what he wanted. He wants to be able to add and change, like rating the lib, from his iBook, sharing dose not allow this. I just I just tried this and it dose work.

1. Turn on file sharing on your iMac
2. Connect to your iMac from your iBook (in finder, Go>Connect to Server)
3. Once your iMac's HD is on your iBooks desktop, open iTunes.
4. Open iTunes Prefs.
5. Select Advanced
6. Select Change
7. Off the left you will see your iMacs HD, select it.
8. Select Users > User Name on the iMac > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music
9. Click Choose

Also before you open iTunes on your iBook, make sure you are connected to your iMac!

I hope this is what you are looking for!

MacBoy88

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.