iTunes Match and iPhone...beware!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dccorona, Sep 27, 2012.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Well, here's a story for you, and hopefully it'll help you avoid a similar situation.

I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T, so I always enable "download new purchases over cellular". An app here, a new album there, it doesn't impact that much.

I've had iTunes Match since last year when it became available, but have never used it on my iPhone because it didn't have genius. That was fixed in iOS 5.1 but I wasn't aware, so I turned it on in iOS 6 to check to see if they added it back (they did). However, the way iTunes Match seems to work now is that it doesn't keep the music on your phone, it deletes it all. So I went in and told it to redownload all my music from the cloud. No big deal, I thought. I set it on and went to bed, on wifi.

I woke up the next morning and went to class, not realizing it was FAR from done, and also not realizing that "download new purchases over cellular" becomes "download new purchases AND iTunes Match data over cellular" when match is enabled. A couple hours later, my phone was nearly dead, and I had a text message from AT&T saying I was nearing 5gb and would be throttled.

My phone downloaded 3.5 GB of music in a couple hours before I caught it (and shortly after its battery died). Combined with my activity from earlier in the month, I was well over 5 GB, and am now being throttled (I can also confirm that throttling on LTE is just as slow as throttling on 3G...about .11mbps).

I've NEVER even come close to my cap before, so this was shocking. Luckily, tomorrow is the last day of my billing period, and I have wifi most everywhere on campus (it's ironic that, since it was a new phone, I hadn't set it up for the schools wifi yet, otherwise this would have been avoided).

I ended up coming out ok, but this kind of thing could happen to someone else, who is either early into their billing period or not on an unlimited plan, so I thought I'd warn you all...watch what options you enable!

2. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Would have saved data and space just by streaming whatever music you wanted to listen to. A lot of people hate on the streaming feature.

3. Vctr macrumors regular

Streaming only works well if you always have a constant good connection. I live in the city, so the data connection is always spotty.

4. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Your battery dies after only 3hrs on LTE. I thought apple said it would last 8 hrs on LTE, something seems wrong there.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

On the iPhone 4 with iOS 6 there is an option under Settings --> Music when Match is turned on to Use Cellular Data. I believe this defaults to on, but I'm not sure because I could be seeing a setting carried over from my backups. This is what controls whether Matched music is downloaded over Cellular or not.

The setting under Settings --> iTunes and App Stores controls only whether NEW music purchases will automatically be downloaded to your device.